“Great Hotel-but...”

Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mehlville
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights while visiting St Louis recently. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the room impeccably clean. The breakfast that was included had a nice selection of both hot and cold items. Warm cookies in the evening was a nice perk! But there was one problem. On the day of our departure, in the early morning hours,we were informed by the front desk that someone attempted to break into our car.As it turns out we were not alone. There were a number of other guests who had the same problem. Although the thieves did not gain entry inside our vehicle did sustain damage to the driver's door handle. Since we are not from the area not sure if this was a common occurrence but perhaps more lighting, cameras and/or additional security might deter any future incidents. If this had not happened we would have had a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the 4th floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RJLock
HamptonI55, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you for your kind notes about our hotel and our service. As you can see from the many posts previously, we take great pride in making our guest’s time in St. Louis memorable. Unfortunately, on one of the days you were with us, you were vandalized by a group in the middle of the night. We share your frustration of that evening, as we all understand the pain you went through that morning. Safety and security is an utmost concern of ours and being a relatively new property, we have installed a secured back entrance to our hotel with a brand new and well lit parking lot. We are in a very safe residential area of St. Louis, but with our location to a popular interstate, we take preventative measures to avoid when someone wants to do harm. We do have overnight security and 24-hour video surveillance to prevent these occurrences, and it was this nightly patrol and video that interrupted the group and was able to provide a license, car description and information to local law enforcement. In the almost 2 years we have been open, we have not had a single car issue until this night. We will continue to improve our security measures and do our best to make sure our guests do not have a worry about staying with us. If you are a potential future guest thinking of staying at our hotel and have questions or concerns, I would please ask you to call me direct at the hotel 314-894-1900 or email me at tom.dempsey@hilton.com.

Tom Dempsey

Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Very nice hotel, nice rooms, clean and quiet, comfy beds, refrigerator in room. Free hot breakfast and evening cookies that were a hit with teens. Nice pool. Location had pros and cons. Felt pretty far from downtown and sights and to find restaurants and sights meant getting back on the highway. On the other hand the hotel is located in a nice quiet, green area despite being so near the highway and was a real value compared to downtown hotels.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank OhMadPioneer
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our cross country trip. We had been staying at different hotels every night and I really enjoyed this hotel. When we checked in we were offered complimentary fresh baked cookies which were a hit. The staff was extremely friendly and the hotel was very clean and polished. The rooms were spotless the bed and sheets were fresh and crisp. Breakfast was better than most places and had a wide variety from fruit to oatmeal to eggs and biscuits. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Araceli O
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We were very impressed with this hotel! The outside is well kept. The minute we walked in the door we were greeted. The staff working on June 27 and 28 were awesome; they were all very pleasant, willing to answer questions on where to go to dinner, etc. We even needed to print something from our laptop and they directed us to an area where they have internet/printer to help us with this. The free breakfast was very extensive...lots of choices...cold cereal, hot oatmeal with optional toppings, waffles, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, bacon,hard boiled eggs, a huge bowl of cut up fresh fruit, apples, bananas, muffins, pastries, yogurt, coffee, juice...am I forgetting anything? Anyway, plenty of options for everyone. There are free newspapers every morning. They have a bowl of fruit out 24/7 and every night at 8:00 they have fresh-baked cookies that were wonderful! Nice little touches. The rooms were clean and beds/pillows very comfortable. The frig came in handy and there is also a microwave...both of these are in every room. There is a workout room and pool and hot tub. It's located about 15 minutes from the main attractions which we found nice. There are several stores close by...Walgreens, Target, Costco to name a few. I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AngelaM65
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We picked this hotel based on reviews here, and were very happy with our choice. It's a little bit outside the city but the wonderful staff and excellent accomodations make it well worth a little extra driving. We went here with extended family and all of us enjoyed our stay. The staff go out of their way to be friendly and helpful, even printing out directions for us. And this must be the cleanest hotel I've ever seen. We were sad to leave. Hope to stay again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 2littlepeas
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was the best hotel stay I've experienced in recent memory! We've stayed at several hotels recently and I had begun to think my standards were just too high, as I found something less-than-desirable at each place we stayed. I'm so glad this Hampton Inn set me straight! It's a gorgeous building with top-notch everything. The desk staff was extraordinarily friendly and helpful and our room was spotless and beautiful. I loved the little notes on our beds touting the clean, fresh duvet covers as I often lay in bed at hotels wondering how many others have slept on/touched the blanket I'm using to keep warm! Our favorite part of the stay, however, was cookies at milk in the evening. We had the nicest chat with the sweet woman in charge of keeping the cookies and milk flowing. I will certainly seek out Hampton hotels in the future!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Sara D
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The hotel is very clean. The room is divided by entertainment center/desk which gives a nice separation from the bed. The breakfast is great. The bed is very comfortable. The Arch is very close to the hotel. Because this hotel is outside of main hub of St. Louis, it is very quiet. The personnel at the hotel were very nice and friendly. Always ask if you need help. Their workout room is very nice too!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank fruitbowl_25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mehlville
Best Western St. Louis Inn
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
Downtown
Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis
Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis
#5 of 123 in Saint Louis
Downtown
Hampton Inn - St. Louis Downtown at the Gateway Arch

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55? Share your experiences!