“So slow!”
Review of Miltons Restaurant

Miltons Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 147 Restaurants in Wokingham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Miltons is an Award-Winning 2 AA Rosettes restaurant housed in a stunning converted 17th Century barn, with it's own secluded courtyard garden. Specialised in Modern European cuisine with locally sourced food and seasonally changing menu.
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I went to Miltons on Friday night with 8 friends. We were the only people there which was good as we didn't feel the need to be really quiet. However the service was amazingly slow and I was not impressed with the food either. My seabass was tiny, dry and the potatoes tasted like were too old. Some other people in the group liked their food but we all agreed on the potatoes. Another odd thing was that we asked for tea for 3 and they brought a teapot with just 2 tea bags. Still got charged for 3 thought! Overall it was not great so I won't be rushing back.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

WOW! what a great evening out! I booked a table here for 9 of us, out on a Hen Do, and I am so glad we chose Miltons!
The atmosphere was great, we had a table in a slightly separate are to ourselves which was great as we were allowed to decorate with balloons and banners. The food was delicious, and the staff were friendly and helpful. Thank you for helping make our evening so good!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The food and service was ok, but the whole evening was spoilt by a light located above the door leading to the kitchen that the chef switches on and off to attract the waiting staffs attention. This is 2013 surely there is a more discreet way of attracting the attention of your staff. This really bright light flashed almost constantly throughout the evening, which spoilt our visit to Miltons.
I will not be returning any time soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was the first time I have been to Miltons Restaurant and whilst this visit was ony for afternoon tea I expected a nice experience. This tea had been bought for me as a Christmas Present and my daughter and I were expecting a nice afternoon. Whilst I would not particularly fault the food although two very small cakes and a scone was a bit mean the service left A LOT to be desired. It started well enough and we were shown to our table nicely served our champagne and sandwiches and tea were brought to the table, after that we were left pretty much to ourselves. As we were the only ones at that time having afternoon tea the staff were hardly rushed off their feet! At no time did anyone ask if we were ok the cakes were plonked on our table by a guy who looked like he happened to be passing through. No offer to top up tea or ask if there was anything else we needed. The two staff in the restaurant were having their own conversations quite loudly to the point of rudeness. When we had finished still no one came to see if we were alright and when we left we were barely aknowledged. The two staff couldnt be bothered to rouse themselves from lounging across the bar. The service was more reminincent of a greasy spoon cafe! I shall certainly never visit this restaurant again nor recommend to friends and family which is a shame as the building itself lends itself to a great experience its just a shame the staff let you down

2  Thank bakerstreet186338
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We ate at Miltons for the first time on Christmas Day. It's not far from our home, and many of the reviews for it are good. We've often eaten lunch away from home on and around Christmas Day and never been disappointed, but we found the food at Miltons generally poor.

The restaurant itself was warm and cosy and was well-decorated for Christmas. The staff were very welcoming and smiley and tried to be helpful, but were mostly young and seemed inexperienced; one young man took an order for a glass of wine from their menu, came back to check and then somebody else had to come over to ask again. Even the original booking wasn't without problems.

Most of the food lacked flavour and seemed to have been kept warm for quite a time; we were glad we were amongst those who ate fairly early. The vegetables had to be sent back as they were very undercooked; I prefer lightly-cooked vegetables, but some of these were almost raw. A second selection was brought out very quickly; these were a little better, but not good and we left most of them.

If it hadn't been for the waiting staff, I would have awarded a score of 2 rather than the 3 I decided on. It's possible we might try it again in future, as most reviews have been good or very good. However, if the owners can't put on a decent meal on one of the main days of the year when people go out to eat and pay quite a lot of money, maybe not.

1  Thank gardengirlie