“Best hotel I've stayed at for a long time”

Cantley House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Wokingham
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

What makes a good hotel? Clean and well kept rooms? Great location? Excellent food? Of course, and these are all straight forward to deliver. But it's the service that always sticks in my mind. The warm friendly greeting; helping my family to our room when we have too many bags; playing with my ever inquisitive toddler.
It was my first time staying at Cantly House hotel and I would highly recommend it as an excellent family and business hotel, close to the town and with lovely rooms. Double thumbs up, I will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank GemJayBC
GenmgrCHH, General Manager at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear GemJay,
We thank you most sincerely for your glorious review of our hotel. It is great to read such positive comments and I know our staff get a great buzz from your feedback. We look forward to welcoming back to Cantley House in the not too distant future.
Frank Postel, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Cantley House Hotel

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here whilst attending a function and must say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We originally booked on Booking.Com but realised price didn't include the breakfast at £15 per head so cancelled and booked directly with the hotel for £3 more per room with breakfast. When we arrived at hotel we found we had been upgraded to an executive room which had a lovely view of the golf course. Breakfast was really good and waiting staff were extremely friendly. All in all a really good experience

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Lovely lovely lovely
Very nice hotel, staff helpful, food lovely,
Would go there again . It was my partners Birthday and he enjoyed it very much, I arranged a massage for him with the beauty therapist resident in the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
GenmgrCHH, General Manager at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you for your response. We are pleased that you and your partner enjoyed his birthday break here at the Cantley House Hotel and look forward to welcoming you in the near future again. Frank Postel ,General Manager.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here twice before and had a noisy room - something nesting in the attic. I couldn't believe it. I said "hang about - that’s not for Terry Tibbs". I gave them another chance and stayed again last week. I arrived and parked the Roller under a tree outside reception. Next morning I got up, had a wash, went down to breakfast, checked out and left. When I got outside there it was... I looked down... I couldn’t believe it! Terry's Roller covered in bird doings. Not a little bit... it looked like an Albatross had eaten three curries the night before and turned himself inside out on the Roller. I couldn't believe it. I was too angry to complain so I won’t stay there again. That’s why they call me Terry Tibbs.

Much Love

Thanks and goodnight.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank TibbsTerry
GenmgrCHH, General Manager at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Thank you for your comments about your recent two stays here at the hotel.
Assuming that your second stay has been a better than the first , it is regrettable that
an element from mother nature that we cannot control [( habits of) the bird population],
has angered you so much that you will in future refrain from staying with us . Some protected trees on our site cannot be cut down to avoid recurrence of this unfortunate incident.We offer a different range of car parking facilities not overshadowed by trees. We hope to welcome you back nevertheless on a future occasion, when I hope you will enjoy our hospitality in every aspect.
General manager 8.3.13

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

The Cantley House Hotel is an old country residence set in beautiful grounds very convenient to the motorway. The main part of the hotel is an old house, however there is a labyrinth of corridors leading to other rooms on the ground floor. The rooms themselves are comfortable and nice and the en suite bathrooms some of the best I have seen in a UK hotel, but the corridor we were on left a bit to be desired. It was raining while we were there and there were buckets catching leaks from the plastic corrugated roof which had the appearance of a lean-to. There was evidence that these leaks were not new since the furniture was showing the signs of being previously wet.

Regarding the service we received, it too was somewhat indifferent. We ordered tea in the sitting room which turned up eventually and it was cold. When we checked out the front desk staff seemed a bit confused and poorly trained. Overall this is a beautiful location but maintenance and service could be significantly improved.

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for your review: we appreciate your feedback. Whilst I am pleased that you rated our bedrooms highly , clearly we did not live up to various service issues , for which I apologize.
Tea should have been hot and our reception team is undergoing a change of personnel at present , which in part explains their 'confusion' . The link corridor to our executive Clock Tower wing is indeed covered over with a plastic roof so as to shield our guests from the weather .Our maintenance team are dealing with the water ingress on the 90 year old wall' facing' side, and did not get it entirely watertight before the bad weather set in. An ongoing problem that needs fixing as soon as the weather improves. We hope to welcome you again in the future to Cantley House . Frank Postel, General Manager .

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just spent a weekend break here staying in one of suites (Room 38), from the moment we arrived to driving out the gate nothing could have been better. Staff were very friendly and helpful, breakfast had an excellent choice (and plenty at the buffet - Sunday morning 0915 hrs) and full English breakfast was on our table within 10 minutes of order (warning - Full English does mean 'Full' never ate again on Saturday until the evening). The staff in Miltons were very helpful with advice on the menu and will take time going through the wine list with you if you ask. The drab February weather prevented us from completely enjoying what appears to be excellent grounds so will definitely be back when it brightens up to make the most of the lovely patio area outside the suite (though a relaxing Jacuzzi in the room made up for it). Although it does not have a swimming pool/fitness centre they do offer complimentary passes to the local Virgin Fitness Centre. Overall big thumbs up for this hotel that is working very hard to keep a beautiful building and grounds up to a high standard.

Room Tip: This hotel does not hide the fact that they are still undergoing refurbishment so check room availab...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We married at Cantley House Hotel on January 26th 2013. Jamie, Laura and the team made our day so very special.
Everybody complimented the venue and staff, the Briar looked brilliant with the candles and fire. We were made to feel very special and the day went very smoothly indeed. To finish it off the bridal suite was lovely, we only wish we had been able to spend more time there. The food worked brilliantly and went down very well. Excellent day made extra special by the staff and the ideas that they helped us put together.

Breakfast with our family and friends the next day in Miltons was fantastic, an excellent choice of menu and very friendly service.

Thank you to all the staff at Cantley,

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wokingham
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Best Western Plus Reading Moat House Hotel
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant
Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10
Pheasant Inn Hotel
Pheasant Inn Hotel
#3 of 3 in Winnersh
Stirrups Country House Hotel

Been to Cantley House Hotel? Share your experiences!