“Business trip”

Cantley House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Wokingham
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Following a late evening lengthy journey I was really delighted by the comfort of the rooms at Cantley Hotel. The bed was the most comfortable I have experienced in a hotel. On offer in the room was a bathrobe along with bottles of water at no extra cost.
The restaurant menu was of excellent quality; I enjoyed my meal of salmon the first night that I ordered it again the following evening.
The staff were so friendly and helpful which I really appreciated being away from home so thank you all.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 165Karen
There are newer reviews for Cantley House Hotel

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Cantley house is a good hotel and we had an enjoyable 3 night stay. As there were 4 of us, 2 adults and two children we booked a suite. There are no children's facilities at the hotel, but this was not really a problem as we had booked the hotel for to it's proximity to Windsor and Lego Land and so were out all day. We chose the suite over a family room as we have a very young baby and a 4 year old and felt that it would be more practical to have the baby in the bedroom with us. The staff were very helpful and arranged for a camp bed in the living room area for my little boy. The room/suite was lovely and very clean. However, I do have a number of minor criticisms. Firstly, we could not open most of the windows as we were on the ground floor and only two had a security chain. We felt that it would not be very safe/secure to open the remaining windows and so the rooms were very warm, which is not good for an 8 week old baby. Also, on the last night of our stay, a Friday, there must have been a function and the music kept us awake. But the most disappointing element of the stay was the food. The children's food was good quality but lacked variety i.e. chicken nuggets, fish & chips etc and the food on the adults menu was rather overpriced. The comfort food options were reasonable, but the rib eye steak was not good value at £19.00 and it was not cooked well. My husband had asked for it medium rare but it was so rare it was practically raw. The accompaniments were no better - a stale mushroom, half a tomato and chips that were definitely not home made. All in all a good value clean and comfortable hotel with friendly staff and a nice feel, but average food and no children's facilities.

Room Tip: Suites are spacious with a patio area.
2  Thank CMarti1
MauriceStanley, Owner at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank pou for taking the trouble to respond following your recent stay.
I am pleased that overall you were happy with the hotel and obviously the good things you mention are well received.
We evidently need to address the issue of food and your comments are valuable. We have changed chefs recently and I am completely confident in Don Forbes, our head chef. I would not pretend that we are going to get it right every time but I do know that we depend on our good reputation, that we are improving all the time, that complaints are rare and are really taken seriously. Miltons has developed a growing local following and I believe we deserve it and that instances such as this will become a thing of the past very soon if not already.
Thank you again and i am sorry that we disappointed you in this area.
Maurice Monkj

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed here for my Daughter and now Son in Laws Wedding on the 5th August, and can not praise the hotel enough. The young lady on reception was very nice and helpful and could not do enough to help. we stayed the night before the wedding and the night of the wedding in a beautiful room that had a door that opened onto a small terrace which over look the lovely grounds. Breakfast was excellent you could tell the full English was good quality food, and again the staff were very friendly and we did not have to wait long for our food. Lisa the wedding co- ordinator was fantastic looking after us the day before the wedding, and the day of the wedding it ran so smoothly and was a wonderful day she could not do enough for us. The ceremony was held in a lovely large room and after, the wedding breakfast was served in the briar the staff a did a brilliant job and the room look beautiful. The food was excellent and the staff serving it were lovely and could not do enough for us. After the meal coffee and tea was served in the main house where you could sit and relax before the evening guest turned up, we had a buffet in the evening and that was also very good. I can not thank Lisa and the staff enough for making the day a very special and wonderful start to my Daughter and Son-in-laws married life. I most certainly recommend this hotel. Thank you once again.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was the second time I have stayed at Cantley House Hotel and once again it did not disappoint. We were traveling over 200 miles for my sisters wedding at 2pm the same day. I rang the day before to ask if we could have a room a little early to get changed for the wedding , this was no problem for the friendly reception staff who also helped with bags to the room. We had an executive double room in the clock tower wing, spacious which looked out over the garden. Bath sheets huge, good quality complementary toiletries.
Lovely cooked full breakfast the next morning, Milton's weekend breakfast staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I really wish I could have had as good a stay as the people who wrote before me.

We stayed here for the connivence but still expected a comfortable nights stay. We had booked a basic double room but my word was it basic! The room was tiny, dark and hot. The shower sprayed everywhere and was more of an ordeal than a pleasure.

After an awful nights sleep in the hot stuffy room, we woke for breakfast. 9.00 pretty normal time on a sunday we thought but it was almost all gone! The buffet was the saddest buffet ever seen! Juice jugs empty, stayed empty untill about 20 minutes later when we finally asked and the response what granted with half a jug being refilled. Croissant had all gone, milk jug empty, 1 yogurt left and the rice crispes completely gone off. The cooked breakfast was ok when it came 45 mins after ordering! We honestly didnt enjoy it at all.

We would not stay here again..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
MauriceStanley, Owner at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Quite evidently not our finest hour. I am sorry to have so disappointed you.
I am aware that some of our rooms are not up to the standard of others in the hotel and we are gradually making our way through the lesser bedrooms addressing critical issues, changing beds where necessary, changing duvets and bedding, redecorating, and changing furniture if appropriate.
Sadly and frustratingly we will not be addressing the needed proper refurbishment of bathrooms for a number of months but in the meantime we are ensuring everything works properly and that the bathrooms are sparkling clean. 27 of our bathrooms are modern, V&B and Hans Grohe, 9 need updating and we apply charges accordingly. If any are not sparkling clean then that is an issue in quite a different league.
All the same your comment has been taken seriously, has been shared here and has made a difference.
Maurice Monk

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just come back from a wonderful weekend at the lovely Cantley House Hotel.We were taking advantage of one of their excellent packages, really good value.We were lucky to be upgraded to a suite, what can I say, it was so spacious with a jaccuzzi no less and lovely soft bath sheets rather than the bath towels you get in many hotels. This I think after I mentioned it after my last stay and it was acted upon immediately.Now that's what I call service but that is what I expect from this hotel. We were also lucky to have fantastic weather, so were able to have most of our meals on the Patio.This involves lots of to'ing and fro'ing for the staff, but they were unfailingly helpful and friendly, everything 'no problem'. The food is excellent,from breakfast, lunch, Afternoon Tea and dinner, all freshly prepared.This is a beautiful hotel in lovely grounds and lots to see in the surrounding area and a nice little market in Wokingham on Saturdays.If you want a real treat you must try it, especially if you take advantage of one of their excellent value packages. I highly recommend it.Sylvia Keen

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My sister and now brother in law got married and Cantley House Hotel on the 5th August. And it was just an amazing day! The hotel and ground are beautiful and has lots of character. On the night before the wedding my sister & her bridesmaid (myself and other sister) stayed in room 37 a twin room, it was a massive room with loads of room for us all to comfortably get our hair and make up done in the morning and photos taken, at some points there was 9 of us in the room and there for more then enough room for us all. The wedding day was amazing and lucky the weather was pleasent giving us the oppertunity to have photographs outside in the beautiful grounds. After the ceremony and pictures we headed for the Wedding breakfast, approx 70 people sat comfortably in the room and the food and service was amazing (especially Jamie - assistant fucntion banquetting manager). After some amazing speeches we retired for tea and coffee before the evening guests arrived. This gave me chance to check into the room i had with my boyfriend that evening - We had room 10 above reception - it was amazing - spacious and an incrediable jacuzzi bath and gorgeous shower - Also the bed was the most confortable thing ive ever slept on - my boyfriend is very keen to find out where they got it so we can get one too!

The evening of the wedding was amazing and buffett lovely - And the drinks were lovely too :)

A big special mention goes to Lisa the wedding planner!!She was just wonderful, made sure everything ran smoothly, was very attentive to the bride, groom and wedding party and just made us have the most incrediable day! She knows exactly what shes doing and would love to have her plan my wedding one day!!

All in all cantley holds amazing weddings and gorgeous rooms and grounds, i highly recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wokingham
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
Best Western Plus Reading Moat House Hotel
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant
Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10
Pheasant Inn Hotel
Pheasant Inn Hotel
#3 of 3 in Winnersh
Stirrups Country House Hotel

Been to Cantley House Hotel? Share your experiences!