“Very helpful reception staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Cantley House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Wokingham
Leeds, UK
“Very helpful reception staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was the second time I have stayed at Cantley House Hotel and once again it did not disappoint. We were traveling over 200 miles for my sisters wedding at 2pm the same day. I rang the day before to ask if we could have a room a little early to get changed for the wedding , this was no problem for the friendly reception staff who also helped with bags to the room. We had an executive double room in the clock tower wing, spacious which looked out over the garden. Bath sheets huge, good quality complementary toiletries.
Lovely cooked full breakfast the next morning, Milton's weekend breakfast staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Devon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

I really wish I could have had as good a stay as the people who wrote before me.

We stayed here for the connivence but still expected a comfortable nights stay. We had booked a basic double room but my word was it basic! The room was tiny, dark and hot. The shower sprayed everywhere and was more of an ordeal than a pleasure.

After an awful nights sleep in the hot stuffy room, we woke for breakfast. 9.00 pretty normal time on a sunday we thought but it was almost all gone! The buffet was the saddest buffet ever seen! Juice jugs empty, stayed empty untill about 20 minutes later when we finally asked and the response what granted with half a jug being refilled. Croissant had all gone, milk jug empty, 1 yogurt left and the rice crispes completely gone off. The cooked breakfast was ok when it came 45 mins after ordering! We honestly didnt enjoy it at all.

We would not stay here again..

• 1 of 5 bubbles
MauriceStanley, Owner at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Quite evidently not our finest hour. I am sorry to have so disappointed you.
I am aware that some of our rooms are not up to the standard of others in the hotel and we are gradually making our way through the lesser bedrooms addressing critical issues, changing beds where necessary, changing duvets and bedding, redecorating, and changing furniture if appropriate.
Sadly and frustratingly we will not be addressing the needed proper refurbishment of bathrooms for a number of months but in the meantime we are ensuring everything works properly and that the bathrooms are sparkling clean. 27 of our bathrooms are modern, V&B and Hans Grohe, 9 need updating and we apply charges accordingly. If any are not sparkling clean then that is an issue in quite a different league.
All the same your comment has been taken seriously, has been shared here and has made a difference.
Maurice Monk
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just come back from a wonderful weekend at the lovely Cantley House Hotel.We were taking advantage of one of their excellent packages, really good value.We were lucky to be upgraded to a suite, what can I say, it was so spacious with a jaccuzzi no less and lovely soft bath sheets rather than the bath towels you get in many hotels. This I think after I mentioned it after my last stay and it was acted upon immediately.Now that's what I call service but that is what I expect from this hotel. We were also lucky to have fantastic weather, so were able to have most of our meals on the Patio.This involves lots of to'ing and fro'ing for the staff, but they were unfailingly helpful and friendly, everything 'no problem'. The food is excellent,from breakfast, lunch, Afternoon Tea and dinner, all freshly prepared.This is a beautiful hotel in lovely grounds and lots to see in the surrounding area and a nice little market in Wokingham on Saturdays.If you want a real treat you must try it, especially if you take advantage of one of their excellent value packages. I highly recommend it.Sylvia Keen

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

My sister and now brother in law got married and Cantley House Hotel on the 5th August. And it was just an amazing day! The hotel and ground are beautiful and has lots of character. On the night before the wedding my sister & her bridesmaid (myself and other sister) stayed in room 37 a twin room, it was a massive room with loads of room for us all to comfortably get our hair and make up done in the morning and photos taken, at some points there was 9 of us in the room and there for more then enough room for us all. The wedding day was amazing and lucky the weather was pleasent giving us the oppertunity to have photographs outside in the beautiful grounds. After the ceremony and pictures we headed for the Wedding breakfast, approx 70 people sat comfortably in the room and the food and service was amazing (especially Jamie - assistant fucntion banquetting manager). After some amazing speeches we retired for tea and coffee before the evening guests arrived. This gave me chance to check into the room i had with my boyfriend that evening - We had room 10 above reception - it was amazing - spacious and an incrediable jacuzzi bath and gorgeous shower - Also the bed was the most confortable thing ive ever slept on - my boyfriend is very keen to find out where they got it so we can get one too!

The evening of the wedding was amazing and buffett lovely - And the drinks were lovely too :)

A big special mention goes to Lisa the wedding planner!!She was just wonderful, made sure everything ran smoothly, was very attentive to the bride, groom and wedding party and just made us have the most incrediable day! She knows exactly what shes doing and would love to have her plan my wedding one day!!

All in all cantley holds amazing weddings and gorgeous rooms and grounds, i highly recommend it to anyone!

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 4 or 5 times and have always been satisfied. I stayed there 3 weeks ago they gave me room 12 the carpet was very stained. the tv did not work they gave me another one with cables going on the florr. I tripped nearley fell to top it off I was told breakfast was 10'0 clock. when I went to reception on the monday morning I was told breakfast had finished. She did ring thro and I did get breakfast. I have complained but they have not the manners to reply. I will not be staying here again. christina burton on trent it is not the same since Julie left.

Room Tip: make sure you do not get room 12
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MauriceStanley, Owner at Cantley House Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
I am sorry to have so disappointed you.
There were excuses for some of your issues but they offer nothing of value to you; they do offer opportunity for us and notice has been taken and I thank you for that.
There is no excuse for not responding to your concerns on the day. That indicates lack of care and concern which is not so - I hope it was down to lack of training or just forgetting - either way it's evidently not the way to be and I hope we have learnt from that.
I remain reassured that you found the rooms very clean even if there was a stain on the carpet (it was from the previous night and cleaned properly on the Monday).
Julie is still with us and running our sister hotel, Cantley Lodge. I know she has many friends who remain customers of ours and is much respected.
I hope that despite all this we do see you again and I hope that your previous judgements on our service and quality might prevail and give us another chance if you are in the area again.

Kind Regards

Maurice Monk
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

This hotel is fantastic I have had 2 lovely weekend packages here and the staff and hotel is out of this world the food is first class and would go back the package with staying Friday meal on Friday or sat champagne and breakfast is so good value for money would recommend to try if you want something special

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our daughter married here on Sunday & everything was better than we had hoped for. We decamped to the hotel on Saturday afternoon & after a mix-up over rooms initially we moved into Room 42 which was large, spacious & comfortable.

The girls had a large room in which to prepare for the wedding & there was approx 70 guests for the wedding breakfast & approx 100 in the evening. The service is held in a large hall & the wedding breakfast was held in a separate room called The Briar which had been tastefully set up with all the trimmings.
The food was excellent- hot & plentiful & the children were catered for too. After an excellent FOTB speech (by me!!!) the photographs were taken outside in the well kept grounds.
The evening reception was again well organised with a series of rooms allowing people to sit where they were comfortable with more than enough food to eat. On small comment is that the bar only had room for serving one person at a time leading to queues.
The evening ended too soon but breakfast the following morning was again a highlight- fresh & well prepared.
A special mention must go to Lisa, the Wedding Coordinator- an iron fist in a silk glove if there ever was one! She ensured that the party ran smoothly & was a great help throughout the day & nothing was too much trouble for her. She was also there the following morning to ensure that all was well.The rest of her young team were also pleasant & helpful.
There was a slight error on the bill at the end but this was easily rectified.
One slight criticism- is there a world shortage of tea & coffee sachets? There were simply not enough in the room & only 3 milk pots to last 2 people all night & morning!

All in all a fab weekend- would unreservedly recommend the hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay even though it was less than 2 miles from our house!!!

Room Tip: The exec rooms were well received by all & lead out directly to the garden
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wokingham
Hilton St Anne's Manor, Bracknell
#7 of 7 in Bracknell
Royal Berkshire Hotel
Royal Berkshire Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sunninghill

Been to Cantley House Hotel? Share your experiences!