Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10(Winnersh)(Great Value!)
$106
  • Restaurant
$121
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmiltons restaurantpowder roomwedding venuewedding receptionwonderful weddingjacuzzi bathcountry houselovely groundslovely roomthe main housethe ground floorfunction roomwedding guestschristmas partyfollowing morningrestaurant staffstayed for one night
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Warm and friendly reception, easy check-in, beautiful bedroom (suite of 3 rooms), jacuzzi bath and large power shower. Had dinner with my daughter in the hotel's "Miltons Restaurant" that evening - food was excellent. The ambience was more that of a gastro pub than fine dining restaurant- however the informal atmosphere was perfect, relaxed and fun.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank veritas59915
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Our daughter's wedding ceremony and reception were held here, and most of the guests stayed for the weekend. We were very well looked after, and everything ran smoothly - we were very impressed and would recommend it to other couples and their families. The rooms and gardens made a lovely setting and the catering and food were excellent.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Last minute booking handled in very friendly manner by nice reception staff. Warm welcome and very nice room (exec double) with well-thought out bathroom. The restaurant was fully booked so I ate from their menu in my room and the risotto was excellent. Lots of nice touches such as a chess board, cd player and radio (could not get the latter to tune but that was probably me!) and sewing kit on a pin-cushion. Comfortable bed and adjustable flat screen tv. I could not get the heated towel rail to work (again, me not seeing the obvious probably!) but the bathroom was fine without it. Very nice fittings with non-steam mirror, sep shower, mixer tap to sink (big plus) etc. Nice old house with character and a short, but enjoyable stay. Wish I had had the time to sample breakfast.

Room Tip: Room 7 was nice but looked mainly onto a tree and the car park from the side. I usually value a view but it was a glum winter day and so it was not important and certainly not unpleasant. Rooms at the other side will look over a lawn area - not a stunning garden for the style of house.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank LilacT
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Firstly my husband and I (still smile when I say this) would like to say an extremely sincere thank you to Sarah, Wedding Co-ordinator, for the wonderful and memorable day she helped deliver. We married on the 18th November and received first class service in every capacity. All elements of our day exceeded our expectations. Nothing was too much trouble and the need of every guest was met. The food was wonderful, served hot and plentiful. The Briar looked beautiful, tastefully decorated and very romantic with the roaring fire. The wedding suite was lovely, just a shame we didn't get to enjoy it for longer. We would highly recommend this venue to anybody for any occasion. Thanks again to a great team. Mr & Mrs O

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 30, 2011

As we arrived and entered the building it looked old and tired, as did the uniform clothing of the reception staff. Not a great start.
We were shown to our room but here was no “free bottle of Champagne” that was supposed to be waiting for us!! A staff member later said that they had run out of Champagne as a result of the alcoholic needs of a wedding party.
The room itself was adequate but a little tired and in need of decoration. The matching bed cover and dress pillows looked nice however there were several stains on the carpet which would not have taken a lot of effort to clean, but this had obviously not been considered as an option for some time. There was also no mirror over a table so that my wife could see to apply make up or style her hair – a particular bug bare of hers.
Some re-decorating was taking place in the corridors leading to the rooms but it looked as if this was being done by staff as opposed to professional painter and decorators as a) it did not look like a professional job and b) there were catty notes stuck on the walls instructing other people on the correct way to paint.
We later went into the restaurant which we were looking forward to as its reputation was the main reason for us booking our stay - we had booked a table for 8 people the following evening. After being seated for approximately 20 minutes in a waiting area where we could look through the menu and order our drinks, a staff member came to us and apologised for the delay but said that several gas rings on their cooker had failed and so meals would be delayed. In any event 1½ hours after entering the restaurant we had eaten our meal, which was far from special. One thing that was very obvious though was the apparent total lack or organisation by the serving staff in the restaurant. They didn’t ask or take our room number, seemed to be rushing everywhere, it was very hard to get their attention and no one was sure when we would actually get our food. It wasn’t that there were not enough staff just that they were so unorganised, with no one single person in charge.
Following a reasonable nights sleep we went for breakfast and it was as disorganised as the night before with a lot of very noisy and loud people with children running around. Don’t get me wrong I am not a grouch and appreciate that it is hard to control exited children but this was extreme and only added to the chaos. There just was not enough room for all of this to happen and some of the adult guests even thought that it was appropriate to have a Hula Hoop competition in between the tables. It all added to a very chaotic breakfast experience and at no time did any of the staff approach any of the guests to ask them to calm it down – most probably because once again no one seemed to be in charge.
I spent the rest of the day looking for somewhere else to book a table for 8 persons, without success and so reluctantly kept the booking in the Hotel restaurant. Prior to going to the restaurant, whilst resting in our room I put some pillows, including the dress ones, against the headboard and rested on them whilst watching the TV. Immediately I was aware of a thick and greasy smell that was coming from the dress pillows. It was as if someone with a very greasy head had been sleeping on them for years. I called Housekeeping and asked the lady who called in the room to smell the pillows. As soon as she did she said “Oh my God that’s disgusting” which it was. She changed them and said that she could not understand why this had not been picked up by Housekeeping. From my experience of this Hotel so far, I could.
I am glad to say that when we dined that evening, all 8 of us had absolutely excellent meals, however the staff were still disorganised, rushing around and difficult to attract to take our orders.
In the morning we left immediately after breakfast.
This Hotel seems to have most of its custom through weddings and I am sure that for this it is great as all the staff that I spoke to were very helpful and polite and if we had been staying for just one night of celebration, I guess that we would not have noticed or seen most of what I have commented on above, other than the smelly pillows, lack of a make up mirror, stains on the carpet and unprofessional decorating notes pinned to the walls -OK so maybe we would have noticed.
In conclusion the Hotel has its good points but these are outweighed by the lack of management controls. Would I go back again – not in a million years!!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple