“A gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wokingham Gourmet Kitchen - CLOSED

Wokingham Gourmet Kitchen
Cuisines: British, Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
London
“A gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I turned up very early in the evening and it was very quiet. It looks like a takeaway downstairs and I was a bit put off, but I was escorted upstairs to a nice, fresh looking restaurant area. Service was attentive, but not hovering.
The food was very good. The mint peas were a bit firm for my liking, but the chips were extremely good and the burger I had was flavoursome and satisfying. The price was reasonable.
Overall, it was a relaxing, tasty experience and I would recommend it.

HK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A hearty meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Living abroad for over a year I could not wait for a hearty British meal. So after a long flight I was looking forward to some decent food. The first offering back in Wokingham was WGK. I had heard about the burgers and chips so kept it simple and went for the recommendations.

The service was friendly, prompt and the burger was satisfyingly filling and tasty. Certainly makes a difference to other burger offerings close by!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank PTHHK
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have been a couple of times and the food has always been excellent and of exceptional value. I have paid a lot more for worse quality steaks and every dish I have had has been top quality. It needs to be used more but gives the impression that it is only a take away.

Give it a go.

• Visited December 2012
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Great decor, service and food, but it has taken me a year to push myself to go in”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I drive past this restaurant upstairs/take-away downstairs, every day, but it has taken me a year to take the plunge and go in. The reason being, that I cannot see the actual restaurant because it is upstairs, I didn`t want to be the only table in there!
Well on Saturday evening 9th February 2013, I took the plunge.
What a great expereince! Excellent food, service and decor, though there were a number of diners, it was not busy, but this really didn`t mater and did not effect the overall experience and enjoyment.
I travel the world and I must say that I rate this restaurant as one of my 'quirky` favourites as the food is simple, excellent value for money and the decor is quirky and very relaxing. The waiter was so efficent but so unobtrusive when he was not busy.
Tasted on the night was fishcakes (complimentary), prawns, mini burgers; burger as a main, the 3 minature pies, vanilla ice cream & the famous chessecake

The choice of music, lighting, furniture, paintings and vaulted ceilings made the place so chilled-out and relaxing - please do not change any of this!

My recommendations would be to have the 3 minature pies also available as a combo, as it would have been great to have a taste of all 3 pie types on the menu.
A twice baked lasagne might also enhance the menu offer.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Tasty food, good value but not quite the great experience we hoped for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Dropped in for a meal on a Tuesday evening, we were the only diners. we had heard great things from friends who had enjoyed a Saturday evening meal recently. The menu is limited, but locally sourced - mainly speciality burgers, mini pies, sausage and mash - traditional home cooked English food - but elegantly presented and good quality ingredients. We were given a complimentary taster from the chef of a mini fishcake which was a nice touch. We had a beef burger with bacon and cheese and a chicken burger with a side of sweet potato fries and coleslaw to share. The burgers were delicious and just the right size for us. We were disappointed with the sweet potato fries - but I think this is because we were hoping for wedges - but these were very thin strips and so a bit soggy/floppy and tasteless and we wished we had just ordered normal fries. Chilli sauce they came with was good. Our drinks were served without ice - although ice was provided when we asked for it and the soda was completely flat. This was replaced with an apology and sparkling water on request. I didn't expect the place to be busy with diners in the middle of the week, but I did think therefore that all the tables would be clean and ready for diners. The table behind us was not fully cleared and set from a previous service and the stair carpet needed a vacuum and the room upstairs where we ate was not well heated - but it has been very cold lately. The staff were friendly and welcoming and we really do hope they can make a go of it. The main meal were very tasty and our bill was only £22 - so great value. I would hope to come back with a group of friends on