“Good but only by local standards”
Review of The Tamarind Tree

The Tamarind Tree
Ranked #13 of 145 Restaurants in Wokingham
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

If I were still living in London I would have rated this restaurant as being average for it's type. However, Wokingham is literally packed full of mediocre Anglo-Bangladeshi-Psuedo-Indian restaurants. There is not much to distinguish them in terms of food but this place is a bit more upmarket in terms of décor and atmosphere.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Every time I visit my family in Wokingham, they always take me to this restaurant and it has always been a great experience. Food is delicious, servise very friendly, the place is buzzing. Their chutney tray is full on tasty chutneys, especially the tamarind chutney!

1  Thank P R
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We all (10 of us) went to the Tamarind Tree for my husbands 70th Birthday treat, and had a fabulous time the food was great the staff were very helpful and it was good value for money.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

It may be the Trip Advisor effect but this place often seems full even when other Indian restaurants in Wokingham are empty. We visited on a Tuesday night and every single seat was taken by 8.30. Food is good, portions are large, and the owner is very friendly. Only a couple of minor niggles. Firstly, we were asked very quickly if we wanted poppadoms; we said we would rather order drinks, which we did. Before the drinks arrived two huge plates of un-ordered poppadoms and pickles arrived. Our party of seven started tucking intio them straight away so it was impossible to refuse at that stage. Misunderstanding or very pushy sales technique? Secondly, they applied a 10% service charge (handwritten) on the bill. When the credit card machine was presented to me with the full amount including service charge already included, the question on the screen was "Do you want to add a tip?" If I had drunk a little more I would not have noticed this attempt to elicit a double service charge. This is a very disreputable and increasingly common approach in restaurants. I would have scored Tamarind Tree between good and excellent based upon its food and atmosphere, but because of these two greedy techniques, I have reduced it to average and won't be going back any time soon.

1  Thank PT5
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Had a lovely meal here Aug 2013. Service was excellent and the food was divine. Not too pricey either.