“best in town”

Ranked #39 of 247 Restaurants in St Helens
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional restaurant
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We have been eating at the charcoal grill for many years, 2 or 3 times a week at lunchtimes, and it is the best place to eat in St Helens. The food is good, the service and staff are excellent and the atmosphere is good.
Unfortunately just before Christmas the owner decided to close at lunchtimes stating it wasn't viable, this was done with just a few days notice to customers and staff, needless to say there were a lot of very disappointed people around and we were all left trying to find somewhere else to eat at lunchtime.
Yes the charcoal is open from 4.30 in the evening and for Sunday lunch but a lot of people prefer to eat a full meal at lunchtime.

Please could we have our lunchtimes back, yes there are other places to eat but not with the same courteousness of the staff or the same value for money and presentation of food.

2  Thank linda b

Reviewed December 15, 2013

When I arrived at this place I was rather shocked by the decor. Its is seriously like a step back in time to the 1970s - however do not let this put you off! The staff were top notch and extremly welcoming. You are at first shown into a bar area and then after giving your food and drink order taken through to a traditional dining room heated by portable gas fires. The food was really good and excellent value for money. I would liken the atmosphere to spending an evening at your favourite aunties. I would consider revsiting this place if Im ever back in St Helens.

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We have gone to the Charcoal for the last 30 yrs and only had a bad meal once (we go at least once a month) its great value and always an enjoyable meal and the service is great ..... here's to the next 30 years !

2  Thank Saintsfa
Reviewed August 21, 2013

As others have said, the decor is something that definitely needs to be addressed in this place. Other than the aesthetics, the bar and food is quite inexpensive. The quality of the food is just 'okay' in my opinion however I do feel I could rival some of the dishes in my own kitchen at home. If you aren't expecting too much, it might be worth a visit. I would return if I was going as part of a large group, but I would choose it for myself.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

But the food is value for money, there are only 2 places in St Helens serving traditional meals which is the charcoal and larkins. I've been to both, Larkins now has a modern venue but they never used to lol all mismatched cutlery and plates and their food was also of good value but now they've got a new venue it reflects in the price.
Charcoal probably needs to update its decor but at times it does go with the charm of the place, you still get as efficient service as you do at larkins, you get a heck of alot more food for the price you'd pay at larkins too! we don't leave still hungry but are undoing our trouser buttons.
Reasonable place, nice food, reasonable cost and no cheesy artists singing!