“Not everything that glitters is gold”
Review of Frankie & Benny's

Frankie & Benny's
Ranked #167 of 247 Restaurants in St Helens
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This restaurant chain is vile! I took a visit to a Frankie and Benny’s many years ago in Liverpool and I wasn’t particularly wowed back then but this time has just put me off forever. Took a visit to the St Helens chain not too long ago and found it pitiful.

Went with a friend on a Thursday and entered in to the artificial American styled eatery which was all very Disney-esq. The restaurant was not particularly busy and was absolutely freezing. We were sat in a booth and looked over the menu which was not particularly exciting; it’s basically pub food with the option of pizza. I went for a vege burger and fries which cost around £10 so I was expecting something different but unfortunately not. The burger was pretty tasteless, Tesco sell a similar one in the freezers which are cheaper and tastier. The burger bun was one of those long life buns tasting very sugary and crumbly. The fries were the piece de resistance though, went to pick up one of the few fries on the plate and they were just all stuck together in one big clump.

Frankie and Benny’s are extortionately overpriced and it does not match the quantity or quality of their foods and drinks. You are basically paying for the experience which in my opinion is lukewarm service in a restaurant that is styled as ‘New York Italian’ but originated in Britain and has no restaurants in either Italy or the US which explains their phony interiors. If you want Italian visit elsewhere with experience and if you want a burger Weatherspoons offer far better quality and value.

1  Thank tjeurouk

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Have eaten here a lot over the years and has steadily got worse each time. Feel pushed into going with the children has St.Helens has a poor number of child friendly restaurants too eat. Last time we went the meals were wrong, cold and disgusting. Waited nearly an hour for it too. kid love it suppose you cant go wrong with chips and chicken. We complained and just paid for drinks and left. Have to say have been back once for breakfast and that was ok, wont be going back in a hurry.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Yes my first time ( the last time I tried it was too cold!!no heating) at this chain !!!A welcoming staff greeted us and gave us enough time to make our choices.Very pleasant waiting staff.I was surprised with the Italian lesson in the ladies !!The food came quickly ,my calazone was were enjoyable,and the salad was very fresh.
We enjoyed the music as my sister in law said ..it's from our era!!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just can't work out why this place is like it is, sometimes my girlfriend and I go her and its lovely, other times its like dog food. One thing that sits constantly rubbish is the draft lager, carling to be specific, always served in an old glass that makes the pint flat and lifeless, and at over £3 per pint its rather terrible....
As I said thought the food is totally hit and miss, is easy and convenient enough and the staff are all very good, but it strikes me as a slightly posher macdonalds really, the food isn't particularly tasty its very much 'microwave' standard most of the tim, but as I said we keep popping in from the to time and one week its nice, the next its not... For the prices you pay it really should be a lot better

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My partner and I went to Frankie and Bennys Friday evening and were very pleased with our experience. We were shown quickly to our table and drinks brought over quickly.
I ordered the goats cheese and balsamic vinegar wrap, and asked the waitress if i would be possible to have it without red peppers (as I am allergic to peppers). The waitress spoke to the chef who kindly ensured no peppers would be in my food by preparing and cooking it in a separate part of the kitchen. The food, as always, was good quality and perfectly cooked.
The service, again as always, was speedy, efficient and friendly.
I always enjoy going to St Helens Frankie and Bennys and have yet to be disappointed by this restaurant.