“Horrendous bathroom!”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Bromsgrove
Merseyside
“Horrendous bathroom!”
Reviewed August 30, 2009

On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by the receptionist saying the stay had all been paid for but give me your credit card. When I questioned this neither she nor another receptionist could tell me apart from it was policy. Nor on checkout could they provide me with evidence that no money had been taken from it. The bathroom was horrendous, you came out of it feeling dirtier than before you went in!!! Mould everywhere including the showerhead. The curtains had a big hole in them and really the whole place needs refurbishing. On the positive side the bed was very comfortable and the tv had a wide selection of channels. It is interesting that someone else mentions telephone charges as we were charged for 3 calls which were not made again we weren't there at the time they were made. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

2 Thank Gows

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
surrey
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Well worth the money and would stay again. As a family of five we booked a Sunday evening family room deal with Dinner and Breakfast included, around £80.

Rooms are adequate. The bathroom in our room was in need of updating, but was fairly clean so no complaints. General décor was a little dated, but acceptable.

Dinner was a bit disappointing, while the food was OK, we ended up getting our meals at different times and the service was inattentive.

Breakfast was better. A good spread available and fully stocked, both continental and the full English variety.

The Leisure facilities are good. A fair sized swimming pool available, although over half of the pool is given over to ‘lane swimming’. The gym looked well thought out, I didn’t use it. Sauna and Steam room were just right and of a nice size. Was good to be able to relax in the place after a long drive.

One good thing was that we had booked so we could get up an go to Cadbury World early. The Hotel agreed to let us come back after our visit to Cadbury World and use the facilities later in the day (i.e. after we checked out). Kids sure appreciated that.

All in all, good value. Would consider staying there again.

New Zealand
Reviewed August 15, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night. The rooms are outdated and our bathroom was grubby. We were on the ground floor, the corridor smelling of stale cigarette smoke. The carpet in the bedroom and the wash basin area was filthy-we took photos as evidence. I would definitely not recommend this hotel.

2 Thank LynScotland

Travelers are raving about these Bromsgrove hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Its not often that I will spend time writing a review, but this hotel deserves a special mention.

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights 6th, 7th & 8th August as a short end of summer break before the kids go back to school, with the intent to discover a bit more about the Black Country.

We booked the hotel via the Hilton reservations and got 2 "Queen" rooms for £59 per room per night, including breakfast. Good start, as we felt that was a reasonable price for a "quality" hotel chain.

Arriving at the hotel, we were met with a tidy and roomy lobby area, with plenty of seating and a stylish coffee bar. The receptionist was welcoming and friendly and was quite clear on the car parking charges, the prepayment of our rooms and informing us of the opening times for the leisure facility and breakfast times.

Fortunately, our rooms were accross the corridor from each other, so that our teenage daughters were in close proximity. The disappointment was then initiated upon entry into the rooms. They could be best described as "tired". Actually, they were grubby and worn. The furniture had discoloured, the telephones were dirty, the bathrooms, which were very basic, were also very worn. The insides of a couple of the drawers had food crumbs!!

Generally, the corridors are very tired looking and the hotel could do with some investment. The building itself, looked fairly modern and the grounds, although basic, were kept tidy. The service entrance to the kitchen, was opened into the car park and in my view; thats poor.

The leisure facility appeared fairly modern and the gym was reasonably well equipped. The changing rooms, were quite obviously not monitored as the same dirty towels were lying on the floor in the same position for at least 2 hours. Which made me wonder how hygeine is monitored in the changing area. The swimming pool was cordoned off so that a "swimming lane" was always available - a good thing if there are plenty of avid swimmers, but not so good if there are families with younger kids - which there was.

The pool area, was also tired with paint peeling from the ceilings, but the sauna and steamroom looked fairly modern and were of decent size and condition.

The biggest dissapointment was the "buffet breakfast". The restaurant was like the rest of the hotel: poor condition and it was at our first breakfast that we decided we wouldn't be dining in the hotel in the evening. The choice of breakfast items was poor, with a shockingly bad selection of cheese, meats and fruits. The quality of the "fried" breakfast items were cheap and predictable. Similarly, the service of providing tea and coffee lacked and we had to ask the staff to bring tea, coffee, milk, sugar, butter, side plates and (clean) cutlery. All very poor service. Both the tea and coffee were at best lukewarm.

To add to the problem, there were 2 weddings on consecutive days and subsequently the service at breakfast suffered further (which we though would be impossible) due to the high volume; which made getting all the breakfast items we wanted at the same time difficult.

On checking out, I was charged £9 for a telephone call that none of us made (the hotel were able to confirm the telephone number and the time of the call, and we were able to confirm that all of us were on an excursion to the local Warwick Castle at the time!!!). No apology was made by the hotel and the £9 charge was removed from the bill.

I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. It truly is the 2nd worst hotel I've ever stayed in (the worst being the Hilton Colyumbridge near Aviemore), and I won't be using Hilton again in future.

And finally.... its a bit lacking when the lobby doesn't provide free Wifi. Real "behind the times" stuff.

2 Thank bayerische
South Coast
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Stayed here for on business and have stayed at Hilton Garden Inn in Luton, which was excellent and was expecting similar. Was I in for a shock.
Totally agree with the previsou review, the place is overdue a make over by about 20 years it is stuck in the 80 years and the quality and appearence of the decor proves that. Carpets are thin and in places stuck down with gaffer tape. The bath room are small with stains on the fake marble sink surround and moldy grouting. The hairdryer is a tube coming out of a hot air machine stuck on the wall.!!!!
The gym (Living Well) attached is also open to the general public, I've used better but ok.
On the plus the food and service is excellent just a major shame the hotle itself doesn't match.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Monkey38
Surrey
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I'm not familiar with the Hilton chain but if one is, I guess this hotel is typical.

I wasn't impressed that it charged for its carpark despite not being anywhere near anywhere others would wish to park. And the reception was what one would call, I assume, airport lounge. But having said that our room was excellent (despite having the most uninspiring bathroom I've ever seen - but it worked, so one can't complain about that). And all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.

The food was something of a problem. We were on a Hilton arranged weekend and the Friday night dinner served in the conference room was the sort of awful meal I felt Britain had left behined 30 years ago. My wife and I decided we'd not eat there the next night even though we had, in effect, paid for it. But the next night was taken in the restaurant. So, since to eat elswhere would have involved driving somewhere (the hotel is not near the centre of Bromsgrove) we thought we'd give it a try. We both chose the antipasto, which not only was the most dreary selection I've ever seen but at 8.15pm it had been thoroughly picked over and was badly in need of replacement but it remained in that state for the rest of the evening.

So once again we felt we'd made a dreadful mistake. But the main course - duck confit - was not only superb it was as a complete dish superior to any we'd previously had, which includes many times in France.

So - would I recommend it? Well, there are better places to stay in and around Birmingham. But it is convenient to the motorway and I'd certainly not fault the accommodation. Food? No. And, as I mentioned, the restaurant just off the foyer is all very 'airport'. I guess that in the end it comes down to your reason for needing to be in that area. And if it is as a stop-over just off the motorway, I'd think it probably an ideal choice.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Lancashire, England
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Stayed for one night on a busy Saturday, when there was a wedding reception taking place. It did not impose on our stay as they were mainly away from the reception area.
The hotel is located about 12 mile out of Birmingham and about amile or so from the M5.
The receptionist was polite and quickly dealt with us. She also asked if we required assistance with taking our luggage to the room.
The room is standard 'Hilton' room, clean and has the essentials, wall mounted flat sceen tv, hairdryer. tea/coffee facilities, 2 free bottles of water etc....... I just wish hotel rooms had a small fridge or type of cooler to keep your own can or bottle of water cold! The hotel was booked via there own website for £73 which included breakfast (£10 each) Very reasonable choice of food for breakfast, no shortages and the staff were on hand to remove plates and cups once finished. The swimming pool was good to use first thing on the Sunday morning followed by a sit it the jacuzzi. There is also a sauna and gym which were popular. A choice of two free morning newspapers are available at the Gym or reception area. Unfortunately it rained all of the time, if it had been dryer and warmer there was an outside area where you could sit and have a drink.
My only moan would be that there is a charge of £3.00 for parking your vehicle. There is nothing else nearby wereby other people would use this car park, so it's unreasonable in my opinion to make this charge. (Another money making idea which probaly got someone a bonus or promotion!) Other hotel chains do provide free parking with CCTV coverage in similar locations out of towns and cities.
Overall a nice hotel for a weekend break .

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bromsgrove
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove
#7 of 8 in Bromsgrove
Abbey Hotel
Abbey Hotel
#3 of 7 in Redditch

Been to Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!