“Nice & has improved BUT...”

Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Bromsgrove
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stay at a number of Hilton Hotels & this is a nice example. Similar to a number of other Hiltons recently it has seen some improvement with some of the rooms being improved - room decoration, furniture & TVs. However the bathrooms could do with some improvement soon.

The public areas are smart & kept well clean. On the whole the staff have always been very helpful & polite, which adds to the experience. The menus have improved significantly over recent years so eating in (whilst not cheap) is a pleasant experience.

There is often sport on TVs in the bar, which is great BUT it can be too loud, so if you are not interested in it, you really can't stay in the bar as it is too distracting.

The room rates I get either via Hilton website or agency tend to be quite good for a Hilton BUT & it is a big BUT the extras do pile up & it really seems excessive & takes the edge off the stay. Firstly they now charge £5-00 parking which they never used to. I was told it is company policy - this is clearly not the case as I stay in several Hiltons & many do not charge this. Secondly there is a £5-00 "tray charge" for bringing room service to your room. Finally the Internet is £14-99 for 24 hours. This means if you drive to the hotel with work to do in your room in the evening & therefore want to eat a light meal in your room you immediately have a £24-99 extra charge to your bill. I would rather have a "real" price for my stay at the outset rather than these "extras" that I can't do with out - I have to park my car, I need Internet access! Many many hotels who are much smaller than the Hilton brand do not charge for any of the items just mentioned.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 10, 2013

When staying in a Hilton hotel you automatically expect a wonderful stay. Although the bedroom itself was clean and tidy I was extremely dissatisfied with the condition of the bathroom and wash area. I have actually taken photographs of the condition of the room we stayed in, which could only be described as 'shoddy', something I would perhaps expect to find in a hostel. In addition, the light infiltrating the bedroom through the night from the corridor was shockingly bright, illuminating the room to a point where we didn't need to put a light on, even in the middle of the night, to see around the room. To top this off we could hear conversations from both neighbouring rooms easily throughout the night and were woken in the morning to one neighbour very loudly visiting the toilet, not ideal! We weren't overly impressed with our stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip and was very disappointed and it certainly didn't live up to the 'Hilton' reputation.

The room was very dated and in desperate need of a refurb, it was very cold, especially the bathroom. I had to give the bath a thorough clean before I could even get in it as mould and dirty black water ran from underneath the seal, disgusting.
The Becks beer went instantly flat even though it was served in a Becks glass.

I requested an early morning alarm call from reception which never happened - very bad practice !

Very disappointed - never again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
michaelsquire, General Manager at Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete some feedback for our hotel after your recent stay with us, your time is appreciated. I was sorry to read about the issues you raised, my apologies for any shortcomings on our part. Our bedrooms are quite large and the heaters do generally (unless they are faulty) supply plenty of heat for them (although our small bathrooms aren't heated) - if we hadn't set it properly on a very cold day, we were wrong. We are always happy though to put a second heater in rooms when requested.
I will also chat with my housekeepers to ensure we check very carefully for bathroom sealants that need attention and the bar team to ensure the glasses are clean and ready - as we do serve a lot of Becks.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had a great night at this hotel. the rooms were big, clean and fresh. the hotel staff were very helpful and friendly and the restaurant had a good selection. definitely go back again. This was a business trip so didn't try out the spa or leisure facilities - although wished i had had the time to do so, they looked amazing.

Room Tip: all rooms looked like they were good.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
michaelsquire, General Manager at Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with some feedback after your recent stay with us, glad to read the team looked after you.
FYI - the club opens early and stays open quite late, so i hope we're open at the times when you can find 30mins out of your time to fo and see the team down in Livingwell.

Thanks once again for your kind words.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We have just spent 4 days at this hotel, and had a lovely break. The staff were friendly and helpful - we could not fault them. The room was a little tired, but all reported problems were very quickly addressed - light bulb in main room light was blown on arrival, there was no hot water in the evening (problem with main boiler, sorted); tv went wrong one night (replaced within 2 hours).

Housekeeping was a bit inconsistent (eg hand towels missing one night, toilet not cleaned one day).

The swimming pool was quite cold, but the hot tub nice and warm.

We didn't eat at the hotel, except for breakfasts which were excellent quality.

We will stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there and thanks for your time in giving us some feedback. Glad to read about the team being friendly and helpful, but I will have words with HK about the couple of items they missed during your stay.
We do run our pool at 29-30*, if its runs any less then it is colder than we would like. If you're in there and feel its cold, do let the team know, in case there's a mechanical issue that we might need to look into.
Thanks once again

Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel was nice, well presented with friendly staff. The heater in my room was far too small considering the size of the room and the sub-zero temperatures so when I arrived late at night it took a while for the room to heat to a sufficient temperature. There was a small rip in the duvet cover which I would not expect for the price of the room (luckily I found a cheap deal from another website). The Wifi was also expensive and I would of expected this to be free.
Overall the hotel was nice though, and if it wasn't for the wifi I would probably stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for your time in providing me with some feedback. Sorry to read about the cold room, the heaters generally do a good job (in our large rooms) but we do have to set it properly. It seems we didn't on this occasion.

Our wifi is providied through out the hotel by BT Openzone. We chose them as so many people can log on 'for free' by using their home accounts. Or by using one of many 3rd party operators who can piggy back on as well 'for free' If you stay again and are facing a challenge, let us know and we'll see about getting your mobile account to work for you on our system,

Thanks once again for your time,

Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is probably one of the best hotel we have stayed in. The overall experience was first class. The staff are absolutely lovely, friendly, helpful and it's nice to see they all seem really happy and work as a team.
The food is excellent. One important factor for me especially is it is spotlessly clean everywhere.
The pool etc is a bonus too.
Only thing that let's the Hilton down is parking charge..I know it is only £5.00 a day, but we travel from different ends of country so have 2 cars.. i think it should be free.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words of feedback after your recent stay with us, I will certainly pass it onto the team.
I do know that car parking charges can be a contentious issue, but like many places nowadays from hotels to shopping centres to hospitals, we do levy a charge to help cover the costs of operating such a large area. Over last summer, we did have a period where car parking was included in the rates we offered and we may be doing a similar offer this year as well.

Thanks once again for your feedback and hope we see you again soon

Michael Squire

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bromsgrove
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Bromsgrove
#1 of 1 in Stourport on Severn
Travelodge Kidderminster
Travelodge Kidderminster
#1 of 5 in Kidderminster

Been to Bromsgrove Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!