“Good hotel and service”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cobham
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Good hotel and service”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Arrived at this hotel late and had not pre-booked. Took a very expensive suite for one night as its all they had left. Room was very large and pleasant to stay in but i would at least expect a bowl of fruit or something more than a couple of shortbread biscuits for refreshment. Also plastic flowers are really not impressive in a 350 pound a night room. At least it was comfortable and clean.

Service was very good from check in, breakfast and check out but I certainly didn't feel like I was staying in a suite. I mean in some hotels around the world for this price you get butler service! Breakfast was good and overall I was impressed with the quality on offer. Have I stayed in better...yes but in teh UK... few if any.

Room Tip: Ore book to avoid excessive charge for a suite
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
Ottershaw, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My siblings and I organised a small family dinner at Woodlands Park to celebrate our mother's recent significant birthday. The venue is undoubtedly beautiful, but it is the quality of service and the food that made the event really special here. We were greeted warmly, and from that moment on the service we received in the restaurant was helpful, friendly and charming, without being over-bearing or intrusive (as can sometimes be the case). All five of us had excellent meals, well presented and beautifully cooked (we can all thoroughly recommend the scallops!) , and my mother was touched to receive her dessert on a plate decorated with a "Happy Birthday" message (without any of us requesting it). It was nice to be able to take our coffee in the beautiful lounge by the huge fireplace, and one of the waiters kindly arrived bearing the birthday cake that my sister had made. Overall, we were all most grateful to the Woodlands Park team for making our memorable event even more special.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

We visited for a one night stay DBB including canapés and a glass of champagne each.
The hotel is very close to the M25 (I'd estimate half a mile) but the noise was not a problem in our road facing room (not the M25 side). We could not open the windows so that probably helped but the air conditioning worked just fine.

Our room was spacious and well equipped and the bed was nice and large. Check in was simple and the staff were friendly and polite.

We had a lovely meal including amuse bouche and my fillet of beef really was first class. They had forgotten the canapés and champagne but when reminded it quickly arrived and all was good! We were not drinking alcohol so I can't comment on the wine list as I didn't view it I'm afraid!

Breakfast was nice and plenty of options available. The breakfast room is small but then the hotel is relatively small so no problem there.

Upon check out I was charged for the champagne and canapés but again after explaining this was resolved with no fuss whatsoever.

We really enjoyed ourselves and I'd recommend the hotel for a short break especially if there is a deal on.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
winchester
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed overnight when on business. Easy to find and plenty of car parking. Room was on the first floor, small but well equipped and had a decent sized bathroom. No view to speak of, as looked out over flat roof of hotel extension.

The good:
Well equipped room
Large comfortable bed
Food in restaurant of good quality
Reception very efficient

The bad:
Looks quite tired
Badly stained/mouldy blind in bathroom
Radiator rattled when on
Only handful of tv channels available
Wifi slow, ok for emails but forget streaming
Very busy area in the morning, left at 0730 and queued all the way to the A3

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Cobham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We had a wonderfully organised Christmas wedding at the hotel with nearly 140 guests. The staff were accommodating, friendly and helpful at all times. The food was excellent given the large number to be catered for. Very memorable.

Room Tip: The rooms are all nice. Master Suite is great for special occasions.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynsey B
reading
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This two night stay (30th and 31 Dec 13) did not get off the best of starts when my wife and I could not get a cab from Leatherhead station, but as the hotel website said that it was only one mile away and the weather was not too bad, we decided to walk. As it turns out, it is actually just over two miles - something I could really have done with knowing after the first 25 minutes of dragging my case along a muddy verge as it started to rain. The package is sold as "New Year's Eve Gourmet Package" for £195 PP, but also invites you to stay an extra night (DBB) for another £95 PP. I hoped this would be a good place to have a quite couple of days away and a civilized New Years without the hassle of getting back home in the early hours.

When we arrived we were greeted in a very busy and noisy lobby due mostly to a wedding party being there. Perhaps they could have told us that we would be one of only a handful of guests in the hotel that would not be part of the wedding? It was a little awkward at the hotels only bar trying to get a drink in amongst the wedding guests.

The hotel is much more tired looking on the inside than the pictures on their website would lead you to believe - especially some of the smaller side rooms that were more reminiscent of a state old peoples home. Our room was 41 on the second floor and was a standard rate room rather than a suite. Although small, it was big enough for our needs and looked out over a pleasant view, however the blinds were more than a bit tatty and mouldy. The bathroom was not in the best shape, with the cracked tiles on the wall. The mirrors were lit from very odd angles and the main shaving mirror had no switch for the light at all, just some masking tape over the hole where the switch should have been.

Dinner on the first night was in the drawing room as the bistro was closed due to the wedding. The set menu has four or five choices for each course, however the 'all in' price of £38 was a little misleading as there was a supplement for many of the choices. The food during this meal was of an acceptable standard for a 4 star hotel and the service was very attentive, however this is to be expected as there were no more than three tables occupied while we were there. It really should also be noted at this point that they seem to a have very limited tastes in what kind of music should be played in the background as we ate. It was all relatively inoffensive drivetime oldies - and I like 'I can see clearly now the rain has gone' by Johnny Nash as much as the next man - but I don't expect to hear it four times during the same meal.

As we were on a DBB package, when we signed for the bill at the end of the evening we did ask specifically if the dinner portion would be credited on our main hotel bill. Although we were confidently assured that this would indeed be so, they still tried to charge us when we checked out.

Sleep was quite difficult the first night as the wedding was very noisy until well after midnight, mainly with over indulged children charging around the corridors and shouting. I'm sure they had a fabulous time.

Breakfast was served in the bistro with a standard hotel style buffet of continental breakfast items and cook to order hot dishes. I went for the ham, eggs and chips and my wife went for the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs. The salmon was nice but the portion size was more snack than meal and looked very lonely in the middle of the huge plate. I faired better, although I had real trouble convincing staff that I would quite like some vinegar for my chips and my eggs were so dry and sad looking that they could well have been from yesterday's breakfast rather than today's.

We had hoped to go for a bit of a stroll that morning to get out of the place for a while, however it was teeming with rain so we opted for a film from the hotels impressive DVD list. Sadly the list in the rooms is a little more extensive than their actual holdings and we could not get our first choice as a previous guest had borrowed it and never returned it. After getting through 12 Angry Men and American Gangster we were eventually obliged to vacate the room for a bit in mid afternoon to let the chambermaids get in so we thought we would go downstairs for a cup of tea. With yesterdays wedding party gone it would surely be a calmer environment to while away forty minutes or so over a pot of tea and the paper. Sadly this was not to be the case as yet another wedding party was making an entrance and no sooner had our tea arrived (we would surely have fled at this point had it not) than the happy couple were having their picture took on the stairs next to us. I was that close that I will very likely be in some of the pictures when the album comes back from the photographer. We were made to feel very uncomfortable jammed and jostled into the corner by forty or so already quite tipsy wedding guests, who were very likely wondering why there were two random strangers at their wedding reception. I can't help feeling conned by the hotel who did not tell us that there would be two weddings taking over the hotel during our stay.

Having by now resigned ourselves to the wedding being the hotel staff's priority rather than the New Years dinner, it was with some trepidation that we went back upstairs to get ready. I was pleased to see that the room had its own iron and board, but the cord on the thing was comically short so as to make the process three times more difficult than it needed to be and this particular model seemed to predate the use of steam technology altogether.

Stepping down stairs just after seven we joined the 30 or so guests who we here for the dinner in a champagne and canapés reception. They were very generous with top ups of the fizz, but the canapés were a little hit and miss - the cauliflower in breadcrumbs was an acquired taste and the pork belly and scallops were bizarrely served on metal forks so hot that they could not actually be picked up by mere mortals.

Just before eight we were shepherded into the dinning room for the main seven course meal. The tables were nicely decorated with flowers and candles. Each guest had a silver card party hat and a box with balloons, streamers and party poppers in it, as well as some mid-range velour print crackers. As we sat down the staff found the hotels other CD and treated us to some eighties power ballads for the rest of the evening. We double checked that I would not be getting the fish course - something we had made very plain at the time of booking and once more when we checked in. Needless to say, this was promised and then swiftly discarded and I was instead branded a vegetarian by the time the second course came out, despite the same member of staff having happily served me a sausage roll as part the preceding course.

The menu is below:

Amuse bouche
• • • • •
Salad of smoked and cured duck, dried raspberries, pine nuts with
pommery mustard dressing
• • • • •
Pan-fried fillet of monkfish, lobster sauce, braised endive and grapes
• • • • •
Homemade goji berry and mint water ice
• • • • •
Duo of beef, fillet and Jacob's Ladder, creamed cabbage with smoked
bacon, braised potato, truffle jus
• • • • •
Dark chocolate fondant, white chocolate sorbet
• • • • •
Stilton panna cotta, pear and raisin chutney
• • • • •
Tea or coffee with petits fours

Aside from the hot cider and sausage roll amuse bouche, which was lovely, if slightly stretching the description of 'gourmet', nothing else really stood out on the menu as being special. The fish was overcooked and the Jacobs ladder was particularly unpleasant - especially when sat on the plate next to a nice piece of rare fillet. The dessert was very bland, although some effort had been put into sculpting a cinder toffee '2014' for each table for the amoretti biscuits to sit on. However, my abiding memory of the meal will be the Goji berry and mint water ice which had a pleasant orange colour and looked very inviting, but tasted like I was eating Coleman's mint sauce out of the jar with just a dash of malt vinegar.

At check out the next day we were asked how our stay was and after a deep and heavy sigh I outlined our concerns. The member of staff did his best to look sympathetic but didn't seem able to commit to anything as concrete as an apology. All we did manage to get was cab to the station that cost £18 for a 2 mile trip, just in time to miss our train.

Possibly the worst New Years I have ever endured.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank staffjim
Michael M, General Manager at Woodlands Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you for your most comprehensive review of your visit to Woodlands Park over the New Year period. I am sincerely sorry that overall you failed to enjoy your stay and experienced a number of issues of concern. In particular, I am sorry that you felt that our wedding guests somewhat overwhelmed you. It is regrettable that you were not able to find the time to speak to me or my Deputy General Manager personally whilst you were in the hotel about these, as this would have allowed us the opportunity to take restorative action as appropriate.
Yours sincerely

Michael A McKay FIH
GENERAL MANAGER
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

We were so looking forward to our weekend away as the hand picked hotels had been recommended. Didn't get off to a great start when we were shown to a twin room when we had booked a double. Cream tea however by the fire took the edge of this. Food in the Oak restaurant was lovely but again let down by a bug in my appetiser. Room would have been better if there had been 2 chairs to sit down on (which the twin room had). Final downer was our final bill, which was overcharged by nearly £80!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobham
Hilton Cobham
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
Thatchers Hotel
Thatchers Hotel
#3 of 3 in Leatherhead

Been to Woodlands Park Hotel? Share your experiences!