“A Good Venue for a Charity Lunch”

Woodlands Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Cobham
Surrey
“A Good Venue for a Charity Lunch”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We recently attended a Charity Lunch at this Hotel. It is a perfect venue with easy parking. and lovely grounds. As you enter the building you feel you are in Downton Abbey - dark and Victorian - but as you are shown the way to the Reception Room for the lunch there is quite a different atmosphere. The room was light and airy with welcoming staff inviting guests to enjoy a pre-lunch drink. We then moved into the dining room where we were served a three course lunch. The tables were attractively laid and the whole room looked very inviting. The lunch was fine and the service very good. We chose a Chilean Red Wine which was a little on the high price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This was my first time staying at the woodlands, and I have mixed feelings. The price is competitive, and the grounds certainly support the 4*. When you walk in, there is that musty smell that such an old building has - it certainly adds to the atmosphere. The lobby is very grand, but the furniture is looking a little worn and could do with replacement. I had room 25. It was very small, hardly any space to move. The bathroom was functional, and the shower was good, but it's all looking very dated and is in need of a makeover. The windows are old fashioned and so a lot of noise leaks in. I was continually disturbed by people at the bar downstairs, the buzz of the nearby motorway, or the big air conditioning units a stones throw from the room. There was also a whistle from the extractor in the bathroom which was very annoying. Free wifi is included, and you get a good signal, however all the plug sockets in the room were in daft positions, so I couldn't charge my laptop. The plug by the bed were too close to the bedside table to fit a plug into the socket. The plug by the small table, had a special fitting for the kettle. The desk doesn't even have a plug nearby. The only useful plug was near the bathroom, miles away from anywhere convenient. The staff were very courteous and polite, however it was tricky to get any service from them. I had dinner in the coffee area. After serving my main course, all the staff disappeared, and after waiting for about 20mins, I had to ask reception if I could settle the bill. The following night, I sat down and asked for the menu. After waiting about 30mins for someone to bring it over, I gave up and went to the local pub instead. The staff all seemed distracted by some sort of private dinner which had been arranged that night.

Overall, the grounds are very nice, the price is competitive, they offer free wifi, however they need to upgrade their furniture, and ensure the staff take care of all the guests. I would give this hotel 3 stars, but they can easily get 4 if they sort out the above.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pr1te5h
Chipstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Recently had afternoon tea at Woodland Park Hotel. I took a friend to celebrate her birthday and felt so disappointed with the service, food and atmosphere. The hotel appears very run down and in need of some TLC, on arrival we were asked what we wanted by a young man passing by, who showed us into the dinning room which was gloomy and lack any sort of identity. We were shown to our seats and during our time there we must have had at least 5 different waitresses, some too over bearing in asking if we were alright. The sandwiches were extremely disappointing both in presentation and taste, as were the cakes which tasted like they had come straight out of the fridge, very cold. The scones had flavour but again I felt that they had not been freshly made and had gone hard on the outside. We could have overlooked all this but the whole room lacked any sort of atmosphere, it was dark, no flowers, it appeared no effort has been made to make this a pleasant and welcoming place, if it hadn't been such a beautiful day outside it would have looked even worse. Due to the silence we constantly felt that our conversation was being ease dropped on. My suggestion would be to perhaps have some sort of music quietly in the backgroup and fresh flowers would have made a huge difference. Overall an extremely disappointing experience and would not recommend others to go for afternoon tea.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gmnorman
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I recently had my wedding at Woodlands Park Hotel and I could not have been happier. Katie, a wedding co-ordinator, was incredibly helpful in the run up to the wedding and made everything so easy for us. Peter was the operations manager on the day and he was fantastic! He looked after everybody so well and the day went exactly as we had hoped. The hotel looked absolutely beautiful. The setting and building itself was stunning outside and in. The weather was awful all day so we were unable to have any photos outside but there were plenty of places to take photos inside that look very impressive. We had around 20 rooms booked the night of the wedding and all of our guests were impressed with the bedrooms and the breakfast offered the next morning. The honeymoon suite was particularly amazing. I would definitely recommend this hotel as a wedding venue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Woodlands Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for writing a review of your wedding at Woodlands Park. I have sent a copy of your very lovely comments to all of my colleagues and I know that both Katie and Peter are very proud that they made a contribution to your very special day. We loved hosting your wedding and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Langdon Hills, Essex
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed one night as part of a break with my partner. On arrival there were a few people in the lounge but the restaurant in the evening was almost deserted and consequently the staffing level was very low. At one point I waited 15 minutes to place a dessert order simply because there were no staff in the room to take it! Food quality was average at best. Breakfast was better, although because we arrived during the last hour of service the waitress was very keen to take our order and rush us through. Overall I wasn't particularly impressed and this place is not the best I have stayed at in the handpicked group. . . .it's also not the worst!

Thank you for writing a constructive review of your recent visit to Woodlands Park. I was very disappointed that you were underwhelmed with aspects of your visit and I have circulated your comments to my restaurant team to help them understand how you were disappointed by the shortfall in their attentiveness to your needs. Please accept my apologies and be assured that action has been taken to prevent a recurrence.

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We recently had our wedding at Woodlands Park Hotel and from start to finish the hotel and staff were brilliant. Between our wedding party we had about 15 rooms the night of the wedding and the rooms were good. The honeymoon suite was beautiful and lived up to our expectations. Milan was the operations manager working on the day and he was very attentive and made the whole day run smoothly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Michael M, General Manager at Woodlands Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
I was absolutely delighted to read that your wedding was a huge success at Woodlands Park; it is something we strive for every day. I have passed on our very kind comments to my colleagues and I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you both back on many occasions in the future.

Luxemburg
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Compared to other hotels in the area the WP is the best deal and I have already chosen it several times. Good Wifi, excellent bar and service. As a German I tend to say - very British. Drawback is the location that is far from everything and the missing opportunities to do sports. I could not even figure out how to do a run in the internet. Suggestion for the boss: Have a map copy ready at the reception that shows the path to the next Leatherhead running route (see http://www.walkjogrun.net/running-routes/UK/Surrey/Leatherhead/).

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is not to the front right (from outside). Behind the bar entrance there is...