“Good food, but a little pricey”
Review of The Hothouse Cafe

The Hothouse Cafe
Ranked #16 of 48 Restaurants in Cobham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Honest, fresh food crafted and served with love. A family run cafe in the restored Victorian Hothouse at The Medicine Garden in Cobham, Surrey.
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I popped in for a nose round the shops and have lunch at the cafe as it was recommended by a friend.

The staff were friendly, attentive and we didn't feel rushed even though it was busy. My wife had a homemade soup and I had a bacon, brie and cranberry panini. Both were very good and would have lunch there again, but only as a special treat.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a local garden for us but, although open for three years, I had never been before. I will be visiting many more times I expect. Perfect peace, garden setting is lovely and will, I expect, get better and better. Really enjoyed the artisan outlets already there. You must visit the weaving shop - the food shop - the restaurent - the artifacts - etc etc.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I love Painshill Park, and we've been looking for a nice place to eat nearby for a while, and we thought this might be it. Unfortunatealy, it struck me as a bit too much style over substance. The garden itself is basically an expanse of lawn with two small flowerbeds - pretty, but not a garden. We had some cake and drinks in the cafe, which looked lovely, but it was all quite pricey, the coffee was bland and not well made, and the scones were really doughy. The tea was okay, but for the price and the way they present themselves, I'd expect leaf tea rather than teabags. The lemon cake, though, was very nice. Basically, it's not bad, but I wouldn't rush back.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

I heard about this place from one of owners, who was very friendly and took a friend for lunch. It was a lovely setting and despite being cold when we went it was a clear day and showed off the grounds fantastically.

I think our trip would have been improved if we could have gone on a slightly hotter day so a great summer holiday destination. The staff were helpful and polite in both the cafe and the shop.

I couldn't recommend it enough

Reviewed July 21, 2012

A lovely place for tea in the garden, as has been said before. Sadly, the last of the chocolate brownies disappeared just as we arrived but we could still choose from a lovely light lemon sponge, home made scones with cream and slightly obscure red jam or a range of delicious ice creams, including salted caramel. Tea was served in little individual teapots with matching floral vintage side plates. Nice service in the Hothouse Cafe but the other outlets are confusing - some open, some not, a warm welcome to "nose around" in the Larder and therapy rooms but very frosty in the craft workshop where a hesitant peek round the (open) door to seek more information resulted in much huffing and the door being firmly shut in a visitor's face! Oh and if you have an old tin bath to sell, this is the place. A steal at £450..........very Cobham!