“Smile please......”
Review of Harpers Brook

Harpers Brook
Ranked #71 of 111 Restaurants in Corby
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Enjoy our Great Food and satisfying Ales, Lagers, wines and spirits, all in a pleasant atmosphere. Let our friendly team cater to your every whim, whilst you can socialise with friends, and family. Our carvery is one of the best in the area, and you are advised to book on a Sunday to make sure you are able to enjoy the choice of 3 home cooked roasts and a wide range of homemade vegetables. Are you a music lover? We have Quizzes on Sunday and Thursday evenings, and Music every Saturday. Lots of Special offers available all the time!!
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This pub has a captive audience as it is in a new housing estate otherwise I do not feel it would survive!!
The food is your typical 'ding' meals in that it is all from a microwave. I have had the All Day breakfast on a couple of ocassions and that is hit and miss as to whether it swims in grease or not. There is a Sunday carvery advertised but think I will be giving it a miss and the 'Fish on a Friday' offer is frozen fish and chips and would you would be better off visiting the fish and chip shop across the road.
As for the service, well some training in customer service and how to smile at customers would be a start and that starts with the manageress. There are very rarely enough bar staff on and one evening it was at least a 25 min wait at the bar so my partner went over to Tesco across the road and bought some cans from the chiller rather than suffering the long wait a the bar.
On the plus side, the pub is bright and has a popular quiz night on a Thursday.

1  Thank MissKaren3139
Leewright1981, Manager at Harpers Brook, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2014

We apologise you didn't enjoy your experience, however we are working hard to remedy this now. We have put actions into place and thing are getting much better. We appreciate your honesty though and will continue to work hard to improve.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Food: Average pub grub but whenever I've had steak it's been top notch, genuinely.

Service: Awful. I don't remember ever being served straight away, you're looking at a couple of minutes no matter what. There simply isn't enough people behind the bar, and the ones that are tend to be quite slow.

Atmosphere: Pretty lacking.

Quiz: Good quiz man (quizzes currently on Thursdays I believe) but the quiz format is pretty shoddy.

The problem with the pub is that it is the only one for a large radius, thus they have a captive audience and don't really need to bother making improvements. It's always busy.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I'm in the unfortunate position of this place being my 'local'. The pub is situated in the middle of a number of large, new housing developments. There is not another pub nearby, not walking distance anyway, and consequently this place has a 'captive audience'.

The underlying problem with this place is that they don't have to make any effort - customers still walk through the door as there are very few other options. The service from the staff and particularly the manageress' attitude are the main issues.

I have eaten here twice; the food is okay (but only 'okay'), not your traditional 'home cooked' fare, more of a 'defrosted, microwave-meal'. The beer is also 'okay', usually one of their own real ales (Pedigree) and one guest ale (often run-out, waiting for delivery etc etc). There seems to be a fair selection of larger's but I don't drink them so couldn't comment. Prices seem average.

The real problems here are when trying to order a drink at the bar. On more than one occasion I have stood at the bar for 15 - 20 mins. There is no 'first come, first served' approach from the staff and when this was mentioned to the manageress, her response of "What d'ya expect them to do? They don't have photographic memories!" wasn't very impressive.

Still, the place has customers coming through the door and I guess I could be deemed to be somewhat hypocritical as I have been back a few times. It really is due to lack of choice though, not because it's a place you really want to go.

Like I said, not good.

3  Thank Martin E

Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Been here twice and both times returned the plate .... These places charge good money for cheap food that not suitable to eat !!

2  Thank Turner1810

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I visited this place to meet a friend. I got to the bar to order a drink and was completely ignored by three slow, inefficient bar staff. After waiting for ten minutes without even an acknowlegdement, I decided to go elsewhere. I have since spoken to local people who have had similar experiences at Harper's Brook. I would not think of going back. Deplorable.

2  Thank wcol1310