“Not good . . . . . .”

Harpers Brook
Ranked #76 of 107 Restaurants in Corby
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Enjoy our Great Food and satisfying Ales, Lagers, wines and spirits, all in a pleasant atmosphere. Let our friendly team cater to your every whim, whilst you can socialise with friends, and family. Our carvery is one of the best in the area, and you are advised to book on a Sunday to make sure you are able to enjoy the choice of 3 home cooked roasts and a wide range of homemade vegetables. Are you a music lover? We have Quizzes on Sunday and Thursday evenings, and Music every Saturday. Lots of Special offers available all the time!!
East Midlands, United Kingdom
“Not good . . . . . .”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I'm in the unfortunate position of this place being my 'local'. The pub is situated in the middle of a number of large, new housing developments. There is not another pub nearby, not walking distance anyway, and consequently this place has a 'captive audience'.

The underlying problem with this place is that they don't have to make any effort - customers still walk through the door as there are very few other options. The service from the staff and particularly the manageress' attitude are the main issues.

I have eaten here twice; the food is okay (but only 'okay'), not your traditional 'home cooked' fare, more of a 'defrosted, microwave-meal'. The beer is also 'okay', usually one of their own real ales (Pedigree) and one guest ale (often run-out, waiting for delivery etc etc). There seems to be a fair selection of larger's but I don't drink them so couldn't comment. Prices seem average.

The real problems here are when trying to order a drink at the bar. On more than one occasion I have stood at the bar for 15 - 20 mins. There is no 'first come, first served' approach from the staff and when this was mentioned to the manageress, her response of "What d'ya expect them to do? They don't have photographic memories!" wasn't very impressive.

Still, the place has customers coming through the door and I guess I could be deemed to be somewhat hypocritical as I have been back a few times. It really is due to lack of choice though, not because it's a place you really want to go.

Like I said, not good.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Martin E
Leewright1981, Manager at Harpers Brook, responded to this review, October 15, 2014
We apologise you didn't enjoy your experience, however we are working hard to remedy this now. We have put actions into place and thing are getting much better. We appreciate your honesty though and will continue to work hard to improve.

“Cheap food !!”
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Been here twice and both times returned the plate .... These places charge good money for cheap food that not suitable to eat !!

2 Thank Turner1810
Corby, United Kingdom
“Terrible service”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I visited this place to meet a friend. I got to the bar to order a drink and was completely ignored by three slow, inefficient bar staff. After waiting for ten minutes without even an acknowlegdement, I decided to go elsewhere. I have since spoken to local people who have had similar experiences at Harper's Brook. I would not think of going back. Deplorable.

• Visited May 2012