“This is how all Hotel should operate.”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed February 20, 2011

From the moment I arrived until we left everone was extremely courteous and helpful.No matter what role they had in the hotel everyone went out of their way to offer assistance.
The Junior Suite room was spacious and faultless.We also made themost of the leasure facilities and Livingwell beauty treatment services.The food and service in the Kailyard restaurant were second to none and made the whole visit worthwhile.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 17, 2011

Just got back from a 3 day romantic break at the Dunblan Hydro, the hotel is done up really well, with a large dining room, a cocktail bar and massive drawing room/Lounge, the food was good, like a posh restaurant, but cooking for lots of people so the shine was off a bit. The hotel is itself is very nicely done up and a couple can happily take a rest and enjoy themselves in this hotel, BUT NOT IF YOU WANT TO FOR A SWIM. The pool was the most shocking hotel pool I have ever seen, set away from the main building, this thrown up 80s shocker was not only tiny, but absolutely filthy, the ladies chanings rooms were worst than any public pool I have ever been in. There were manky rotting ceiling tiles hanging off the roof. I bumped into an entire class of older ladies from Dunblane after the swimfit. The pool is the only swimming pool in Dunblane so it is a public pool, the ladies told me they had been complaining about the state of it for years. It let the hotel down so badly that I would never stay at the Dunblane Hydro again, until somebody builds a proper leisure pool centre either for the hotel or infact Dunblane could do with building their own pool, surely they deserve it!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2011

Booked a junior suite a month in advance for my family to enjoy over Valentine's weekend. Checked in at 2pm and advised room wouldn't be available till after 3pm. Fair enough. Enjoyed Sunday lunch in Kailyard Restaurant. Both the food and service were outstanding. Returned to reception at 5pm to continue with hotel check in procedure. The junior suite we were assigned was lovely and clean and at first we were very impressed. Soon discovered there was nowhere for the children to sleep. We then spent the next two hours contacting reception, moving rooms, adandoned, then back again. The whole event was a shambles. The Duty Manager only appeared when I threatened to go home. He then marched me from one end of the hotel to another to show me our room, never once did he speak to me. Good customer service practice should have apologised for the error,offered an explanation and maybe offered a complimentary drink in the bar while they sorted out the mess. Nothing! Our evening plans were ruined.
The following morning we enjoyed our breakfast in the Kailyard. Again the food and service were exceptional. We then went onto to visit the Leisure Centre. The pool area badly needs refurbishment, the pool was small and overcrowded (OAP fitness class!) but the reception desk were apologetic and helpful.
This was my first and last visit to the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank glamourchics2000
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We have used this hotel several times as a stop off point when traveling from Scotland to London as it is roughly half way for us and is on the route (more or less).

The hotel is a big old building with an extension on the back. We have always been given rooms in the new extension which is a bit of a track from reception. The room is generally well appointed, although on one of our stays it looked like someone had trashed the room before we had got there, the desk chair was off its base and bits of wood broken from the desk. Why did this not get picked up when the room was cleaned - took a bit of effort to get the staff to replace the chair, which I wanted to use to do some work at the desk.

The staff at checkin and checkout are always rude and offish.

The hotel is often used by locals for a few nights away and is busy at the weekends, but if you like to mingle in the bar this would give you a good mix of people.

The food is fantastic and the room service is by far the best I have had at any hotel and reasonably priced.

This is the best hotel for quite a few miles around.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Myself and my partner booked in sunday 13th of february at dunblane hydro for one nte as a valentines treat and loved every minute.We were in room 215 and found the room,clean, spacious and very comfortable with everything you need close at hand.Nothing was too much trouble for anyone at the hotel from the room service the service desk and all the waiters and waitresses.Bar staff were very pleasant and helpful with lots of relaxing places to sit with a cocktail and chilll.We found the food in the restuarant fabulous along with the breakfast in the morning.Really can't find a fault in this hotel.Loved it so much we have already booked for the 27th of march and can't wait!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2011

This was my first visit to the hotel and I was overwhelmed by the quality throughout all departments. Working in hospitality myself, I often pick up on little faults. However, with my stay, I found none.

The hotel looks fantastic both inside and out. All staff I encountered were extremely friendly and professional. The quality of food, standard of service, decor and ambience were second to none!

I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Having arranged for my family to enjoy the Hogmanay celebrations in 2010 with a dinner, music and dancing at this Hotel, I cannot describe what a let down this event was. We were not alone, with many people leaving early and feeling robbed by the experience.
The food was less than average with the waiting staff showing great determination to get it served and eaten in the shortest possible amount of time – I can only assume they had somewhere better to go.
Music and dancing (although there was very little of the latter!) seemed to be simply dated pop music (of the school disco genre), despite the fact those attending were of a very varied age group and repeatedly requested some Scottish music; this was only played once at the bells. The dance floor remained empty throughout the evening, indeed by 11pm it seemed that only the DJs and a few die hards trying to make the best of a bad job remained. I will never revisit this hotel - the memory is just too bad.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 191266Jane
WatchmanDunblane, Hotel Administrator at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2011

I am so sorry to read about your experience at Hogmanay and that you were so disappointed. It is without question that the entertainment we had booked for Hogmanay fell short of both our instructions and expectations. As a result of our own observations, and the feedback we have received from people such as you, we have written to the agent expressing our dissatisfaction with the entertainment provided on 31st. We have, similarly, offered our congratulations to the Ceilidh Band who performed on 1st and who received universal approbation.
I am very sorry that you would not visit the hotel again. We would have loved to have had the opportunity of replacing those bad memories with good ones…
David H. Tate on behalf of the Management Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan
Stirling Court Hotel
Stirling Court Hotel
#7 of 20 in Stirling

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!