“Disappointing Hotel, lack of cleanliness”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I can't speak for everyone, but let me tell you about our experience.

We had a two night stay November 2010.
You can't check in till 4pm, this is hotel policy which is fine, but if your going away for a couple of days leisure I just find this time very late to check in as you are effectively losing a day's break.
The Room - for an executive double the room was fine, not very spacious, but fine. Only 3 coathangers for 2 people for 2 nights, hardly enough. The bathroom was fine - except the toilet was squeezed between the bath and the wall and your knees will bang off the toilet roll holder.
Cleanliness - on arrival into our room, i had to clean the tap font which was covered in toothpaste from the previous occupant. At the time I didn't think it was worth complaining that was until the next morning when I jumped into the shower only to find the surround of the bath was covered in hairs from the previous occupant. This was truly disgusting. On closer inspection i realised the bath just wasn't very clean, so cleaned it myself before use - urgh, not what we want to be doing on holiday! We spoke to the duty manager who assured us that this was not their normal standard and they would have the room cleaned properly that day and inspected by Head of Housekeeping. So after promises from the duty manager, we returned that evening to find the toilet roll changed, the towels changed and a new soap. The bath glass, chrome and ceramic had not been cleaned, you could still see the water/soap marks from when we had used this in the morning. The sink and surrounding area had also not been cleaned. It appeared to us that unclean bathroom was indeed their normal standard. We tried not to think about the toilet and if it had been cleaned between occupants given the bath and sink hadn't. This to us was just of low standard and frankly, disgusting. We had no faith that the room had been cleaned between occupants. Additionally, the room wasn't hoovered and the glasses were left dirty. We didn't want to speak to the duty manager again, there was obviously no point as he didn't follow through on his assurances.

Kailyard restaurant - on arrival, we made booking in person for first and second night of our stay. On arrival for dinner on night one they didn't have our booking but managed to seat us anyway, and also they had to re-book us for night two. I have to say we were compensated with no charge for wine for this. We were also disappointed in the restaurant. Nick Nairn puts his name to this restaurant and the food we felt was average. Out of the 4 meals we had between us, only one of them stood out. I've had better pub grub.

Point to note 1:
when you book dinner, bed and breakfast rate, you do not know until you get to the hotel and read the restaurant menu that your dinner is capped at a cost of £26.50. this will get you two courses but not three. We also asked the duty manager about this policy and he explained that as the hilton website is general for all hotels you will never be told in advance that your dinner is capped at a certain cost. We would have liked to have seen the small print and feel misled. Between us in a year for work/leisure we must stay in around 80 hotels and have never come across a DB&B rate with a capped dinner cost. Hiton - you must be clear and fair to people up front and tell them this, for a family this could soon rack up costs.

Point to note 2:
the spa has not been part of the refurbishment. There are tiles missing off walls and the wooden slats in the sauna are broken. Not very leisurely

Point to note 3
If you want a spa treatment book before you go. We tried to book on arrival and the first slot we could get was 2 days later 2 hours after we would have checked out. We ended up going into a salon in Dunblane.

Point to note 4
No free wifi - it's £15! yes £15 for 24 hours - ridiculous

This hotel boasts a 12m refurbishment however due to lack of cleaning care, in my opinion this hotel will soon detriorate and become shabby. The shelving and lamps in the public areas were dusty and the groove around the tables in the lounge were full of crumbs. A lot of time was spent by staff putting the chairs in the bar into exact positions but their time would have been better spent cleaning.

All of the things here that I've mentioned are fixable.
We are disappointed the duty manager did not follow up on the cleanliness of our room issue and if head of housekeeping checked this then there standards are pretty low.

On a positive note, the staff in the bar, restaurant and reception that we encountered were all really professional, lovely and helpful - well done to all of you.

I'm sure you've gathered we'll not be back, and we've told everyone who asked about our weekend that we wouldn't recommend they do either.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scoorie
WatchmanDunblane, Hotel Administrator at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2010

Wow! That is quite some feedback from your recent stay with us! On a positive note I am pleased to see that you found all the staff in the bar, restaurant and reception to be really professional and pleasant. As you rightly say, all the other points you mention are fixable and we will use your feedback in our Management Team meeting to ensure that the problems you had are not experienced in the future by other guests. I share your disappointment and frustration that, having informed us of some of the issues during your stay these were not immediately and positively addressed. We not only failed to provide the level of service which we try to offer at all times but did not take the opportunity we had to ensure that your complaints were acted upon while you were still here.
We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide this valuable feedback on your stay, and are so sorry that we fell short of your expectations on this occasion.
David Tate on behalf of the Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (4,109)

Reviewed November 12, 2010

We stayed for 2nights at dunblane hydro..we checked in @ 12.30 at night as we got late driving from London..it was raining badly and had to just reconfirm our booking of 3rooms around 8pm so that we were sure we get our rooms.

We were welcomed well by the receptionist and were greeted with complimentary cookies. The rooms were nice and livable. Spacious exteriors..set on a hill and looks stunning when u enter the hotel campus from the main road.

One thing needs to be improved is the service..staff was less and not many people to help u

overall i would rate 7/10 although with more efficient staff cud b very easily 9/10

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
WatchmanDunblane, Hotel Administrator at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2010

Thanks for this feedback about your stay with us in August. Sorry to that there were not many staff around when you arrived in the early morning but pleased to see that the receptionist gave you a good welcome to the hotel and that you were pleased with your rooms. Hope to see you here again sometime.

Reviewed November 11, 2010

We stayed at the Hydro for 5 nights for a family funeral in the area. We are very familiar with the area and just wanted comfort and somewhere to relax in between the necessary commitments our visit entailed.
The building and grounds are spectacular as is the reception area, the lounges and the dining room.
Staff were without exception polite, friendly, courteous and obliging. Good training very evident.
Our room (158) was in the Stirling Wing and I would liken the whole wing to a Travelodge - certainly NOT four star. We have had very good experiences of Travelodge and their like - they do exactly what it says on the tin! but do not pretend to be anything other than what they are. It is very disappointing to arrive at a four star hotel with a frontage like the Hydro and then find yourselves in a motel type room.
The bed was a standard double, but fine for us, sheets were cotton and the bed was comfy. We found the room clean at all times. It was however rather small and was so warm and airless that it was difficult to sleep. Turning down the radiator had no effect.
The bathroom would have been fine but neither the extractor fan nor the shaver point were working on arrival: we requested at reception for these to be fixed on the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th. Nothing was done and by the 8th we had no working toothbrush or shaver and had to go out and buy non-electric varieties of same! Very very poor service.
Food:
Our bete noir!!. The publicity pushes the Nick Nairn connection and we had expected a meal to remember. We are very happy to pay appropriately for superb food which has been well presented and are also happy to have good pub grub at lesser prices.
This food was neither the former or the latter: It was poorly presented - no better than I could do at home - and I am no expert! The quantities were very small, flavours very average and there appeared to be no flair in the cooking at all.
The appetisers/starters were ordinary - and tiny. Our companion's pate looked and tasted just like one from any supermarket and was presented with a small amount of greenery with barely any dressing.
My fish pie was heavy, very salty, the sauce had separated, and the green beans were not al dente, they were almost raw and not very hot.
Pudding were ok, but nothing special.
None of the food did any justice to its grand surroundings.
And please.... why oh why... do they serve delicious expresso coffee without warming the cups first??? cold expresso is not good and if Costa and co. can do it surely a four star hotel can?
Overall - at £50 per head including wine we received food that should probably have cost £30 at most including wine.
If you are thinking of staying at the Hydro then the location is fabulous and so are the public rooms, but if you are put in the Stirling Wing do not expect luxury, and do not get too excited about the resturaunt. Just think 3 star and you will be ok
We would stay there again as there is not really anything elso that close to our relatives and I do use the steam room and sauna and pool.
Hope this helps someone.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank loveholidaysdorset

Thank you for your feedback. I have already sent you a personal e-mail in response to the feedback we received through our Guest Satisfaction and Loyalty Tracking form. I am pleased that you found the staff to be without exception polite, friendly, courteous and obliging and that the CARE training in which all our team members participate was evident and appreciated. Your comments about the Kailyard Restaurant and the maintenance issues which you reported are being addressed. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2010

An interesting concept – assessing your performance as a hotel by asking your guests if they were welcomed with a warm chocolate cookie at check-in - actually who cares - I certainly don't. I am never impressed by gimmicks and a “CARE” culture that “treasures” simply demonstrates immaturity.

I am interested however in value for money, the standard of up-keep, speed of check-in at reception, overall atmosphere, staff presentation and training and above all cleanliness and really good food.

So how does this hotel rate?

Check-in was quite speedy (and I received the ubiquitous cookie). Overall impression was good – though a trifle “pastiche” and “cold”. Staff presentation was good – and the young staff in the restaurant have obviously been well trained – attentive, smiling, polite, effective and efficient. The food is good too – almost excellent in fact – the puds were a bit of a disappointment though - for example the tarte tartin. This classic French dessert can be tricky, and it's delicious when it works – this didn’t as it was over-caramelized and bitter. The soft chocolate cake was seriously lacking in caramel sauce and whatever the white dollop was supposed to be.

Breakfast was good too – it would have been excellent if the coffee hadn’t taken 22 minutes to arrive.

I got the impression that cleanliness wasn’t next to godliness. The area around my room had not seen a vacuum cleaner for a while and any good manager would have spotted this – perhaps the cleaning staff are not so well trained or supervised? The carpet in my room was stained though overall the room was acceptably presented – just. Opening the window let in a dreadful smell from the kitchen “vent” which was equally dreadfully noisy even with the window firmly shut. It woke me up one morning at 06:00. Outside on the flat roof area were a number of discarded toiletries bottles.

Bathroom, shower and hot water all good – though one of my towels disappeared and was not replaced. Tea and coffee making facilities good (no biscuits though) and there was an iron / ironing board.

Noise from the bathroom above was very intrusive – at one stage I wondered if it was my shower running as the sound was so close – but otherwise life was peaceful. When I checked out though someone was complaining about noise ….

Internet access was extremely expensive and not available in small quantities. £15 per day is unacceptable (I get it free now in most hotels in Europe and if not its available in one hour chunks which are sufficient for collecting e-mail).

I decided not to use the pool etc facilities as they were a cold wet walk away.

Would I return – yes. Does it offer value for money paid – yes. Would I recommend it – yes. Does it need some better management – in my opinion yep!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
WatchmanDunblane, Hotel Administrator at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2010

Thank you so much for posting this feedback which we found extremely useful. Having such detailed and constructive feedback from a customer is so valuable. There are many lessons we need to learn from your experience and we will introduce more rigorous systems to ensure that these problems are not experienced in the future by other guests. Thanks again for the time and trouble you have taken to give us this feedback and we hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2010

This was myself and my husbands first time away for just a weekend ususally we holiday for a week or more. Once through the gates my husband and I were impressed by what we saw in front of us. The hotel itself looks stunning and as you drive up the long drive it gets better. We found it very easy to get a parking space and felt that the car would be safe left overnight.

On entering the hotel we were greeted by a large staircase but there was acess to reception via a lift for wheelchair users. Check in was very prompt and the warm cookies were very welcoming and went down a treat.

We found our room and was not disappointed, our room was large enough for both of us and at first glance looked very clean. On closer inspection we found the wood above the bed to be thick with dust and the glass table in the room was also smeared with finger prints and dust. This did not ruin our stay and was easily cleaned down.

The weather was typical Scottish Autumn cold and raining. I found the room to be chilly the radiator on the wall was not working but we were provided with a small fan heater. This was fine to leave on when we were in the room but we wouldnt have left on if we were out. This meant that when we returned from dinner it was cold until the fan heater got going.

We took a walk around the hotel, it is very impressive and very well decorated. The front of house areas and corridors were spotless. In our room we had an information pack and found this to be very useful in navigating round the hotel.

Dunblane is a beautiful town, we had an excellent meal at India Gate on our first night. I would highly recommend it if you enjoy Indian dining. It is only a short 10 minute walk from the hotel.

On arriving for breakfast we found the choice fantastic. Breakfast was buffet style and was replenished frequently so nothing ran out. Call me a stickler but breakfast was advertised as traditional scottish but with no potato scone or square sausage in sight this was a bit of a let done. Breakfast was more traditional English with link sausage and hash browns. Although black pudding and haggis were available. Still it went down very well. As well as a cooked breakfast a choice of pastries cold meats ceral and fruit were avaialble.

We spent the morning walking round Dunblane, a very beautiful town, the cathedral is a must to visit and found all the locals very friendly. We then spent the afternoon in the fitness suit at the hotel. The staff were very friendly and the facilities were spotless. If anyone is wishing a beauty treatment i would recommend you book far in advance the therapists were fully booked so we were un able to have any treatments. Only other downside is that a few men were shaving in the steam room, normally this is not permitted in most spa's but no signs were up stating this was not allowed.

We decided to have dinner the second night in the hotel restaurant, which has dishes from Scotlands own Nick Nairn. Again if you wish to eat here you need to book beforehand. We were lucky we managed to get a table on Saturday night. The menu itself is looks impressive but on further reading there is not a great choice of starters and main courses. Mainly focuses on fish dishes with very few meat or vegetarian options. Service was a bit slow to start, we placed our drinks order and waited 15 minutes after we had our drinks to order our food. But on a whole the food we did order was excellent and well cooked. We both had the Nick Nairn recipe Cheese burgers I would say though that we were expecting something a little more special since a top chef had put his name to it. The burger itself was lovely but the fries were your regular fries that i think you could get any bog standard fast food restaurant.

We also ordered room service, cold sandwhiches both very nice only downside was that when you are finished you leave your tray and dirty dishes outside in the corridor, this lay outside our room for a good few hours 6 to be exact.

Only other downside is as mentioned in a previous post was the old shoe lace hollding the shower head in place. Both myself and my husband could not see the point in this and it did take the look away from the spotless bathroom.

On a whole we enjoyed our visit and came back relaxed, we found the food and drink to be a tad pricey but the atmosphere of the hotel and friendlyness of the staff was excellent. We would recommend this to friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, Hotel Administrator at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

We appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to give us feedback on your recent stay in our hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced during your visit and in particular the points highlighted in this feedback. I am pleased to see that on the whole you enjoyed our visit and went home feeling relaxed. Your comments about the friendliness of the staff have been shared with them and we are glad to see that you would recommend our hotel to your friends and family. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 29, 2010

We've been before, will happily return.
We liked -
1. Professional staff at Reception, no queues develop, we were congratulated on our silver anniversary (the reason for our stay, which I'd put on the booking form), and when we checked out it was the Receptionist who called for the duty manager when I reported the faults in our bathroom that needed repair. He gave us a very fair discount off the bill that I hadn't actually been looking for.
2. Restful decor, fresh flowers; relaxing bedroom, lined curtains that kept out the light and the cold; fast and hot bath water, good quality toiletries; huge comfortable bed. Warm swimming pool (with a separate lane for swimming laps) and fantastic steam room (the best I know), albeit a short walk away on a frosty night.
3. Top class food at dinner (flavour and presentation) as long as you keep to the rule "choose what you can't make at home" to avoid the ordinary courses. Breakfast was excellent - particulary rated the porridge with a choice of toppings including whisky!
4. Splendid for the dog - good running in the grounds (locals walk their dogs here) and plenty of poo bins. Might be helpful if the hotel had a supply of poo bags in case owners run out of them (may be they do: we didn't need to ask).
5. Glorious sunsets! (not that it's in the hotel's control - but the views down into Dunblane are pretty at night).
We were disappointed with-
1. Maintenance slipping: several pavement lights were blown at the rear entrance lobby, our shower thermostat kept the temperature too cold to use, and the sink plug rod had been wrenched out of alignment so the sink wouldn't drain; there's bits of rubbish like plastic bottles and bunting at the edge of the wood; you're supposed to put plastic covers over shoes in the swimming pool area, but the dispenser was empty.
2. Two aspects of breakfast - coffee was surprisingly poor (weak - either a light roast or a light bean, or just not enough used in the brew). And queuing to use the 4-slice toaster while the rest of our breakfast went cold was tedious and unnecessary - please, Doubletree, buy a second toaster! I'd blanked out the memory of this from our first visit.
3. I've marked down 'sleep quality' in the review as the bedroom was roasting hot, even though we had the radiator stone cold. A waste of energy too, when hotels promote their wish to reduce wastage by not changing your towels or bedding daily unles you indicate otherwise.
4. Dinner - let down by front-of-house, though not sufficiently to stop us coming back to the hotel in future as they were a friendly crew. We arrived right on time on a busy Saturday, but it was half an hour before our order was taken. On the quiet Sunday, to celebrate our anniversary, we ordered two glasses of Champagne as an aperitif, when we ordered the wine. But the starter came first, even though I had seen the Champagne on the bar, getting more warm and less bubbly, as staff kept passing by; so we sent the starter back. The wine arrived immediately after the Champagne, so I had a glass in each hand - to try one, and toast our anniversary with the other. To cap it all, the wine steward pouring the wine said, "say when" - a sommelier in a four star hotel should know how to serve wine correctly. Too be fair here, the duty manager took account of all this in his amending our bill next day, but it suggests to me that some training might enhance the dining experience (especially as WoodWinters amazing wine shop is nearby in Bridge of Allan, one reason we came back to the Dunblane Hydro).

The plus points definately outweighed the minus points. Add to this the good days out to be had - for example, up to House of Bruar via The Hermitage, Dunkeld and Pitlochry, to see the autumn colour - and I know we'll be back some time. Hopefully the shower will be fixed by then....

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

It is always good to welcome returning visitors and I would like to thank you for posting your feedback following your most recent visit. I was pleased to see that we were responsive to your problems before you left the hotel and we were particularly pleased to note that the plus points definitely outweighed the minus points. It is only by taking notice of the points which were disappointing to you that we can continue to improve. I hope that on your next visit you will see some of the improvements we have made.

Reviewed October 26, 2010

My wife and I have just returned from a three night package of B&B plus one dinner (max cost £26.50) on first night. Total cost of package was £400. We used the hotel as a centre for touring. Firstly, the great things about our stay. The location of the hotel, its grounds, convenience to Dunblane town centre, breakfasts, the friendliness of the young staff, efficiency of bar staff (particularly Melvin), the leisure centre and checking in and out at the HHonors desk were all considered first class. The rest. I'm afraid was all downhill. On the reservation e-mail confirmation I was advised that the hotel was not part of the HHonors programme but in fact it is. When I raised this at Reception I was advised that the site had been changed months ago - did nobody think to check? Our twin bed bedroom could not have been smaller although the tiny en-suite had a full size bath with shower over. Beds were comfortable but pillows were not (one too low, two too high). One afternoon we had to ask twice to have the room made up at 1630hrs and eventually this was done at 1645hrs. When we left the room at 0930 that day there were housekeeper's trollies at either side of our room. The bar did not have brandy balloon glasses and my wife's brandy was served in a water tumbler. Nor did they have liqueur glasses for post dinner drinks. At dinner my wife's meal commenced with soup. She was provided with a side-plate and knife but no bread roll was offered. The chef Nick Nairn provides signature dishes one of which is fish pie which I ordered. The menu made no mention of a side dish so I ordered green beans. When the meal appeared it included a large portion of green beans and peas but I was also given the ordered portion of green beans. Did no-one think to mention that the fish pie came with vegetables? After this we ate in the bar where the service was so much better and the staff were 'clued into' the customers. On two mornings in the dining room we were asked for our choices of tea/coffee but neither came until I got up from the table (towards the end of our meal) and asked a waitress for our drinks. Why ask if there was no chance of providing the service? Potentially this could be a great hotel. However, I consider the problems we experienced lie with poor management and not the staff. Since our retirement we stay in better class hotels so know what to expect - this hotel was a let-down almost from check-in and I regret I could not recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback posted both here and on the survey we sent to you following your stay. I am very sorry that you did not raise these issues with us while you were staying in the hotel. Feedback is never ignored – we always review any feedback with the Senior Management Team every morning in our constant effort to improve. Many problems can be easily remedied if brought to our attention at the time. I have written to you personally in response to your survey response and do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
David Tate on behalf of the Management Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Old Churches House Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!