“Back to a Grand Hotel”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed here for the first time in about 8 years recently and it's been beautifully and thoughtfully renovated into a classy Scottish hotel. The rooms are kitted out to a high standard and the staff were all friendly and attentive. We ate dinner and breakfast in the Kailyards restaurant and the standard of the food was great. Worth pre-booking for dinner (and check reservation when you check in) and we ate breakfast at about 8am when the restaurant was quiet.
We were there as a couple and this is probably an ideal destination for couples looking for a relaxing break. We saw a few families with younger children and it's probably good for them too but the pool area is definitely "leisure club" rather than fun pool and I don't think families with older kids (say over 4ish) would find much to do within the hotel itself. We had a great time though and will be back without question.

Room Tip: Check-in time is officially 4pm but if you turn up early they are happy to give you the keys to your...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Niz8et
Michael P, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for completing your questionnaire.

I am delighted to hear we welcomed you back after an 8 year abscence and that you are pleased with the refurbishment of the Hotel.

I hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (4,194)

Reviewed April 11, 2014

An excellent occasion with family and friends celebrating our eldest grandaighter's wedding to Ross Cowan. Accomodation and service excellent. We would certainly recommend the hotel to both friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Sydney P

Dear Guest

Thank you for completing your questionnaire.

i am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us to celebrate your eldest Grand-daughter's wedding .

On behalf of all the staff at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro Hotel, we would like to wish the happy couple all the best for their future.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We arrived and got a delicious cookie as we checked in. Informative receptionist! Lovely dinner and a great breakfast in the morning! Friendly staff and gorgeously decorated hotel! Had a lovely stay! Going to recommend it to my friends!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bigitte N

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survery.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us recently. I shall ensure the staff are aware of your comments.

I look forward to welcoming both you and your friends on your next visit.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

We had a very short honeymoon this year at Dunblane Hydro. Gutted to say the least. If they offer room 421 - do not take it. You will spend the night walking up hill, sleeping on a slant and watching tv with a crick in your neck. A real shame. They gave me half my money back after offering to come back for one night, but then no one got back to me about the suggested date in reasonable time. Really disappointed. No reservation for dinner on the first night, ended up sitting by the band! On the second night we had menu, drinks, and first course served within 5 minutes! I have stayed here before, more than once, which I think made it worse. I used to love the hotel and the whole relaxed atmosphere.
It might have only been a weekend away but it was our honeymoon (my husband works away) and no one seems to realise this or care a jot. Totally ruined. Fond memories - not!

Please note we paid for this in November 2013 and stayed in February and still got the worst room and it was NOT allocation on arrival as one of our friends sent us champagne to celebrate our wedding and needless to say it had been sitting there for quite some time!

Room Tip: Do not accept room 421.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mary H
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The Scottish Wine Society held its annual weekend at Dunblane. As an organizer of the event I must say they could not have been more helpful. We ended up with 27 attendees the food, was exception, the menus varied and interesting. They could not have done more to accommodate our needs to make this a highly successful weekend. I cannot praise the staff enough. Make being an organizer easy work.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Alan410

Dear Guest

Thank you for filling in your Trip Adisor questionnaire.

I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us during the Scottish Wine Society Annual weekend. I shall pass your comments on to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Very disappointed in the food here, Nick Nairn should be ashamed to have his name on it, The pate was not home made sent our main courses back as they where cold and on the second evening we waited 55 min for our main courses, restaurant was cold had to asked to be moved staff were running about as if they were busy even as we where sat at the kitchen door we still had to ask for some wine, will not be back to Dunblane hydro hotel. I have also sent the hotel an email in regards to this lets see what they do.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChristineMacleod

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to fill in your Tripadvisor questionnaire.

Please accept our apologies for the shortfalls you have encountered. We will review your food comments relating to your experience in the Kailyard Restaurant by Nick Nairn with Nick, our Executive Chef and the Restaurant Manager.

We pride ourselves to work with only fresh produce and I can assure you that the Pate was Home Made as are all of our A La Carte dishes.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 1 night for a wedding, the room rate was not cheap at £119 although we were able to partly pay using Hilton honours points which helped a bit, room was comfortable and satisfactory however the "trademark" warm cookies were non existent, bathroom fine, nice location and grounds. Unfortunately our view was only of the car park, wedding food was very good, drinks as expected expensive. Breakfast was very busy and not great, food was spread out resulting in people have to walk around to get the food they wanted. My biggest gripe was to find out that we had been charged £31.90 for breakfast for 2 people when we were never told that it was not included in our room rate. This was not mentioned when checking in and again was not mentioned when we went for breakfast. This is way overpriced and had we known the cost we would never have had the breakfast. There is also nowhere on the website or at the hotel to state how much breakfast is when not included in the room rate. I accept that it did not state that breakfast was included in my booking but would have expected to be told somewhere through the process that it was not included and could be included for extra £15.95 per person. At this room rate I am suprised that breakfast is not included but was annoyed that I was never told about the costs. To put into perspective the night before had stayed at Holiday Inn in Lancaster including breakfast (better breakfast) for £41 including the nights stay. Raised my disappointment with Hilton and was simply fobbed off saying that it was not included in the room rate. I accept this but feel my point was missed about the fact that I was not told how much it would be or that it was not included so that I could decide whether to eat there. A disappointing end to a lovely wedding.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank davep157

Dear Guest

Thank you for completing the Trip Advisor questionnaire.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your family wedding but I am sorry you did not receive your Hilton Cookie on arrival and that you were not informed at check in that your breakfast was not included in your package.

This feedback will be used in order to reinforce training with our Reception Team.

Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
The Stirling Highland Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!