“Good stay but could be great”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
“Good stay but could be great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

The postives are that the price was great for our room and breakfast. The buffet breakfast too was also very good. Small things like the option of a roll with your breakfast or haggis is great. The spa facilities were also good. Driving up to the hotel and seeing the front of the building was also an impressive sight. The things that could be improved was the sound proofing in our room. My girlfriend is quite a light sleeper and did not sleep well due to the noise from a neighbouring room with kids so had a moan in the morning! The check in was crammed and we waited around 15 minutes as everyone seemed to turn up at the same time. The lift was also not great. Finally the bar area was ok but could have been better for a night cap. Overall it was good but would probably try somewhere else before returning. I hope you found the review balanced and helpful

2 Thank Ramiboota
Michael P, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete the trip advisor questionnaire following your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro.
We value all guest feedback as this enables us to improve our business and increase guest satisfaction for future stays.
We hope to see you again very soon at the Double Tree Dunblane.
Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Airdrie, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

On a Valentines visit to the above establishment, I was more disappointed with the entire visit than I have been at any other stay in any hotel to date. After a number of phone calls which gave neither an apology nor an explanation of company policy, I was advised to email the Deputy Manager concerning my complaint.I enclose a copy of the email I sent requesting an explanation and apology. To date I received an automated reply on my first attempt, saying that Ms Paton was out of the office until Wed 26th Feb. Having resent the email today 11th March, I received another automated repy saying that Ms Paton was again out of the office until the 12th March. I find this unacceptable, and if the individual is still unavailable, someone else should assume responsibility.

Copy of original email which to date has not yet been given a reply.

Dear Ms Paton,

I am writing to complain about procedures you have (or perhaps don’t have), in place at Dunblane Hydro. I arrived on Friday 14th Feb for a two night DBB deal through Classic Britain at a cost of £248. My debit card details were taken and I gave permission for an additional £50 per evening to be authorised, a total of £348. On checking out my total bill was £323.30. I agreed that your company use the debit card details I had given. At this point I specifically asked about the process as I wanted to ensure that the original authorisation was cancelled or altered to match the final bill amount. To my horror when checking with my bank some days later I found that you had received a payment of £323.30, but had NOT cancelled the pre authorisation. I specifically asked the bank to check if they had received a cancellation and were still processing it, but was told that they had not had any notification from yourselves, but that the bank would automatically return the funds after five working days anyway.

Is it your company policy to not cancel these authorisations and just let the banks deal with it? Most unprofessional, but if that is the case then you should notify customers that you intend to double charge them for several days.

This is the main point of complaint, however as a result of your poor handling of the above matter, I have decided to include a short description of the other areas in which your establishment let itself down in my opinion.

On arrival I was told my booking was for a twin room when it was in fact for a double room, which I had to verify with my confirmation email. After some time we were given room 434. This is a double room in name only, with one bedside cabinet, one bedside light, no mirror at the desk, an untuned t.v. a ¾ sized bed and a slanting roof which seriously limited access to the bed. In addition there was not enough room to negotiate around the bed.

At breakfast on the Sunday the restaurant was grossly understaffed, as a result we had to ask several times for tea, teaspoons and condiments.

On a plus the restaurant meals were of a very high standard.

I await your reply and would expect at the very least, an apology.

Rgrds William Malone

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill M
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete the trip advisor online survey following your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro.
Please accept our apologies for the miss understanding over your billing and can assure you that the Front office and deputy managers have both responded to your email (please check your spam box).
Pre-authorisation is a normal practice across the industry and frequently most credit/debit card companies remove the pre-authorization well within this period however this process is dependent on the banking provider and not the hotels processes. I can assure you that our Front office manager has personally contacted the credit card handlers Barclaycard who also manually cancelled your preauthorisation.
We do hope you will visit the DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro in the future.
Regards

Travelers are raving about these Dunblane hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

We were somewhat disappointed with our trip to Dunblane Hydro. Firstly our check in receptionist did not pre-authorise my credit card, resulting in us not being able to charge drinks to my account or open the mini bar in the room. I did eventually ask the receptionist to pre-authorise my credit card but I still could not open the mini bar in the room! The bathroom was somewhat small, the washhand basin was too large and there was no room to put our bathroom accessories etc. There were no towel hooks near the shower cubicle, which was awkward when exiting the shower. Dinner was first class and the food, wine and service was excellent. Unfortunately the breakfast was not quite so efficient, we had to constantly ask for coffee every morning, despite being told that it was on it's way! At check out, I was not offered an invoice or my account to review. We have used many Hilton hotels previously but would probably not consider Dunblane for our next visit.

1 Thank Robert G
Michael P, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for completing the trip advisor survey. We will take the time to review your check-in experience and comments with the relevant Manager to use your feedback as part of our on-going commitment to improve. We are please to know that you have enjoyed your dinner experience at the Kaylard restaurant and thank you for your breakfast comments. We hope to have the opportunity to see you again soon.
Johnstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Arrived at 11.30 for an early check in in main hotel which I had requested the night before, and also a high floor. None of this was available because they had been very busy previous night. I started to feel a bit stressed as this was a 65th birthday surprise for my husband and I had arranged for another 7 family members to check in later in day without him finding out. The receptionist was on her own and was not able to deal with our check in and others checking out so she called for the duty manager Kieran, who arrived promptly and took over with our check in. He took us to see a room in the new wing and explained it was bigger and more suitable for our family to meet with us later in. We decided to take this room on Kieran's advice. He arranged everthing for us after that ie: cases keys cookies and a complimentary bottle of Prosseco which I badly needed a glass of!! After that we enjoyed a swim sauna and steam room to unwind. Great facilities! Only disappointment was the Spa. Not enough staff or treatment rooms to deal with a busy weekend! I tried to book treatments a week before our stay and it was full! The evening in the restaurant went to plan, and my husband enjoyed his surprise. The following evening was just as good. The Nick Nairn Kailyard restaurant serves beautiful food with a great menu choice. 10/10 Restaurant staff are great, and very well trained!! Big thank you to restaurant manager and duty manager Kieran for all their help to make it a memorable birthday for my husband. No doubt about it...we will be back!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete the trip advisor survey. We are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that our team has been very responsive to accommodate your requests. We hope to see you again sometime very soon.
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

We have recently enjoyed a two night stay at Dunblane Hydro , which was really relaxing. The room, a junior suite was very nicely decorated and spacious , with a very comfy king size bed.
The staff were very nice and helpful.The food menu at the bar was well prepared and presented, as was the"Afternoon Tea" selection. The pool, gym, and sauna, are situated about 40/50 yards from the hotel, as are the treatment rooms for massage and therapy . Ideally it would be great if they were attached to the hotel, but it probably was not possible, but it does mean more space, and the use of the facilities by people in the surrounding area. A very nice place to unwind, and we hope to do just that again sometime soon

Room Tip: If its a special occasion and you can afford a junior suite, they really are worth it !
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete the trip advisor survey following your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro. We are pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us and we hope to see again very soon.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Major disappointment in hotel was that the pool and spa centre is separate from the hotel. I went in March and the thought of getting dressed up in winter clothes to walk to pool then do the same on way back when you are just out the pool did not seem too good. Take your own pillows as the hotel ones are limp and offer no support.

1 Thank 998lynnb
Dear Guest,
We appreciate the time you have taken to complete the trip advisor survey and to give us feedback on your recent stay in our hotel. Our main building is over 120 years old and we do face sometimes structural challenges. We hope that the hotel layout will not prevent you from visiting us again.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Quality of the food and helpful staff made this weekend break a great one. When checking in the first thing to do is book a table for your evening meal as the restaurant is very busy. The food was stunning. Room was a good size with all facilities you would expect. We were planning our day trip to Edinburgh on the Friday evening and thought connecting to wi-fi would speed things along - but decided against it when a charge of £14.99 for 24 hours of wi-fi access would be required. Other than that there is liitle to fault Dunblane Hydro.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedbakc of your recent stay at the Double Tree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro. We are pleased to note that you had an enjoyable meal experience and overall stay with us. we will launch end of March a new internet offer and we hope to see you again sometime soon.
Many thanks.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Airth Castle & Hotel

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!