“Excellent!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The whole stay was perfect from start to finish. This was a special trip for my birthday. We were upgraded to a junior suite,which was superb. We got a free bottle of wine, chocolates and bottles of water. I had pre-booked our meal and the staff were very attentive & a special thanks to our server Amy who made the evening most enjoyable. Breakfast the next morning was again a delight with very attentive staff and a great choice. We will certainly be going back. My husband was very impressed with the views and the whole ambience of the hotel.

Room Tip: Book the room you want but click the option for an upgrade. You only have to pay for the upgrade if...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilton-Deputy, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Catmac0311, I am delighted that you had a special birthday here at Dunblane and I will ensure this feedback is passed onto our team members, especially Amy.
Deputy GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
dunblaine, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Would not go there again, after a long journey i was put in an occupied room with some Male getting out the shower. Not happy one of your colleagues at reception basically laughed it off with no apology. Would not go again stuck in the middle of nowhere, and the staff are terrible.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Craig M, I received your review via our guest feedback channel and once again I would like to apologise profusley for this error. I have addressed this issue with the team member and manager of the department responsible.
Deputy GM

Travelers are raving about these Dunblane hotels

Sunderland
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This hotel is very elegant, in a lovely setting and in a good location. The rooms are not large but are very clean and nicely furnished. With friendly staff there is every reason to enjoy a stay here. HOWEVER if you must dine in at the ‘Kailyard by Nick Nairn Restaurant’ you should scrutinize every bit of your meal before putting it to your mouth. If you should encounter any live creatures squirming about in your food and it puts you off the rest of your meal, and even any meals that follow, don’t expect an apology from the chef or any senior manager. If you are in a party of 4, even though you are all put off and eaten very little and even declined having a dessert, be prepared to have to pay in full for your meals. However, as a good will gesture you will be offered 2 complimentary glasses of wine (not large), to share between you. If you complain you may be offered another 3 complimentary drinks and eventually £35. Remember this is for 4 people, not each. WOW.

This is exactly what happened on a recent visit to this hotel. I booked and paid for a 3 night, dinner bed & breakfast, stay with a room for my wife and I, and a room for our daughter and grand daughter (13 years old).

On our first night I’ve got to say that our 3-course meal was very enjoyable. However on the second night my wife and daughter both had a starter of goat’s cheese on a base of capers? and some sort of small leaves. Part of the way through it my wife suddenly sat back quickly, holding her hand to her mouth and I thought she was in some sort of pain and it took a few seconds before she could speak. She was shaking when she pointed to the plate and said ‘there’s something moving and I think it’s a caterpillar and I might have swallowed one’. Sure enough there was a small caterpillar squirming about in the food. It was a sickly sight. Even the waiter grimaced at the sight and asked if he could replace it with any other starter which my wife declined. As the main course was ordered at the same time of the starters and we had 2 glasses of wine to drink we waited for the main course to come before deciding whether to try and eat it or not.

Our appetites had gone and we just nibbled at the meal, examining every morsel before eating any, needless to say we ate very little and to make matters worse the salmon my wife had was raw inside. As her meal was virtually untouched when the waiter came to clear the table, he insisted it be replaced despite my wife declining the offer. Needless to say when it did come she couldn’t eat any.

It was only after we all declined the dessert course and we were about to leave that we eventually received an apology from anyone. It was the assistant restaurant manager. She also apologised for the chef not coming to see us as he was so upset and was just sitting with his head in his hands. Our concerns about the possibility of my wife and daughter, who had the same starter, having eaten a caterpillar were totally disregarded and deemed to be impossible. We didn’t argue but how could she say that. To me it’s unlikely a small caterpillar would be on its own. Before leaving the assistant restaurant manager said we wouldn’t have to pay for the 2 glasses of wine.

We weren’t particularly looking forward to the next, and last, dinner as we didn’t seem to have any great appetite. The meals couldn’t be faulted but we didn’t eat much and what we did was scrutinised before eating. It was impossible not to keep seeing the sickly images from the previous evening. There was still no sign of the chef. No doubt he was still sitting with his head in his hands.

As this break was prepaid I was expecting the bills for our 2 rooms to have at least a refund for our ruined dinners. However on booking out there was just a credit for the 2 glasses of wine we’d had that evening. I couldn’t believe it. It was the meal that was disgusting not the wine. I pointed this out at the desk. The receptionist was aware of the incident but didn’t know the people involved and called for a manager. The duty manager offered to waive the charge for the rest of our drinks, which only amounted to 2 more small glasses of wine and a coke, along with one free room upgrade should we comeback. I again said that it was just the meal that was the problem so he went to consult with someone else and he came back offering a credit of £35 in place of the upgrade. For a totally ruined meal, which also affected the following evenings meals, for 4 people this offer was an insult. By this time I just wanted to get back to my family who were sitting patiently in the car and wanting to go home.

I’ve since looked at the Hilton Hotels mission statement and under ‘Hospitality’ it says “WE’RE PASSIONATE ABOUT DELIVERING EXCEPTIONAL GUEST EXPERIENCES”.

This prompted me to write to Liam Spillane, General Manager, at Hilton Hotels Corporation but he didn’t reply although I did get an e-mail from the hotel’s Deputy Hotel Manager. He apologised for our experience but then went on to say some puzzling things:-

1. He was pleased the assistant restaurant manager came out to see us straight away – SHE DIDN’T.

2. The chef was too busy, ensuring that meals were served promptly, to leave the kitchen - THIS TOTALLY CONTRADICTS WHAT THE ASSIST. RESTAURANT MANAGER TOLD US.

3. They can’t find any fault with their processes – THIS JUST MEANS IF THEY DON’T CHANGE ANYTHING IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Because of these inaccuracies I decided to write, for the second time, to Liam Spillane but again he never replied. Perhaps serving live caterpillars is not deemed to be a serious problem.

From my family’s experience the Hilton Hotels mission statement should have the word ‘PASSIONATE’ replaced by 2 simple words ‘NOT BOTHERED’.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Joe D
Hilton-Deputy, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Good Morning Joe D.
As mentioned in your review you have been in contact with senior members of our team regarding your stay in August and due to this private correspondence I am unable to elaborate further on these issues however I can assure you all of your feedback has been discussed at length with our management and kitchen team.
stornoway
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Booked one night and will never return. Went to a friends wedding that was at the Hotel, after a long journey across the country arrived at the hotel at 1PM wedding scheduled for 2.30PM asked if we could check in to change into our wedding clothes we were told NO!!! not till 4PM, no explanation given, told to change in the toilets or the leisure centre. That was not very nice really was it hotel manager??? Get better organised and give out rooms as they are ready, lots of hotels do that.
Then we had somebody banging on the door at 10.30 AM wanting to change the room. So how long do you have a room at the Dunblane Hydro 18hours 30 minutes ???
On a serious note there was a fire alarm in the morning, I heard some sort of noise but we agreed that it could not possibly be the fire alarm as it was too quiet, so we came down for breakfast to find everybody coming in from outside. I think they should put in extra sirens or ones with a louder noise.
Agree with all the comments about the dismal decor.
Find somewhere else to stay this hotel is living on past glories.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hobbit17
Dear Hobbit17, thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. Regarding the check in time for your bedroom, our official check in time is 4pm as stated on all of our booking confirmations. Although we do endeavour to have bedrooms ready for early arrivals this is not guaranteed because it is not always possible. I have discussed your comments regarding the fire alarm volume with our Facilities Manager who checks the audibility around the building regularly.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night with my wife and two young kids, we booked the suite which had a bedroom and a living area.

The bedroom had a king size bed (if not super king size) plenty of storage, TV, a fan, ironing board and extra pillows.

The living area had a sofa bed 32 inch flat screen TV, tea/coffee making facilities, mini fridge, table and desk loads of toiletries, free bed slippers.

The suite was very clean and tidy, we had a bottle of wine and complimentary bottles of water in our room on arrival. We tried to check in an hour early but our suite was not ready, however we were allowed to use the swimming/gym/spa facilities until our room was ready. The indoor heated swimming pool and Jacuzzi was great, as well as the steam room. The hotel gardens are beautiful and plenty of free parking. Dunblane town center is only a 10-15 minute walk where you can find some restaurants, take a ways and a small Marks & Spencer.

The breakfast buffet was good, we really enjoyed it and the staff were very attentive too, in fact all the hotel/spa staff were very friendly and helpful from check in, to checking out. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Apex321, thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review following your recent stay. We are delighted that we could provide a relaxing destination for your well earned family getaway and we do hope to see you again soon.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have driven past this hotel on many occasions in the last 10 years and was decidedly excited about staying in the magnificent building on the hill and eating in Nick Nairn's restaurant. The building is indeed impressive, inside and out however I found myself with a room in a very modern wing of the hotel and where the corridors were decidedly worn and tired looking, it was all a little lacklustre. Wifi charges were extortionate and there's no justifiable reason for that in 2013 - £15 for 24 hours. I won't be going back!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Jayne G
Dear Jayne G, thank you for your review, we are very lucky to have such a magnificent Victorian building with views over the lovely town of Dunblane. Our in-house maintainence team are working on the new wing corridor to touch up the paintwork following a busy summer season. Regarding our internet charges we do provide one hour per day free Wi-Fi access per room in our Lounge & Bar areas. Our charge for access in guest bedrooms is in line with Hilton UK standards.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Booked this Hotel to celebrate wife's 50th birthday as part of our UK trip and we were very disappointed overall.
Checkin was nothing memorable, advised room number, handed key and a couple of cookies and basically that was it, no mention of facilities etc, certainly felt like a "number" from word go and not a Hilton Guest.
Headed down to the Restaurant to reconfirm our email booking and no surprise that this appeared to have been "lost", easily fixed by the female Maître De who looked after us both nights and was the sole highlight of our visit. As we had booked the DBB special the menu selection wasn't bad and we enjoyed our meals despite a couple of minor issues, special mention to the young waiter Jack who gave us great service the 1st night. Breakfast on the other hand was a different experience, burnt horrible coffee, half asleep waiting staff, apparently mobile phones are totally acceptable in the room as we had to listen to 2 people in adjoining tables drone on for ever and ever rather than take the call elsewhere. On a positive good choice/ selection for breakfast apart from the horrible coffee.
In regards to the room, it was a good size with good range of facilities but there was no way I was paying £15 for wifi, you guys need to seriously look at this when compared to competitors, imagine our surprise when advised later in the bar that each room is entitled to 1 continuous hour of free wifi each day, again no mention at check in or in the room info pack, obviously wanted us to sign up for £15 service to check 5 mins worth of emails etc. Room did have a great view over the front entrance but was unfortunately next to the lift and we had the pleasure of listening to drunk guests staggering out of the tiny lift trying to locate their rooms at all hours.
Final and biggest complaint was the bed, crap crap crap, didn't get a decent sleep either night and back is still playing up a week later, if this is the standard then you guys have got a big problem otherwise we just lucked out. Overall we won't be rushing back anytime soon or recommending to others, for what was meant to be a celebration of a special occasion it was disappointing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Travellingscorps, thank you for your review and please be assured the points you have mentioned regarding your arrival experience and information on thw Wi-Fi facilities will be discussed with our Front Office Manager for action with her team. Sadly I do not have access to your full name to check which room number you stayed in however if you would like to advise us directly at the hotel and I can ensure our maintainence team perform an inspection immdeiatley. Finally I will pass on your good comments to Jack in our Kailyard team.
Deputy GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan
Airth Castle & Hotel

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!