“Prosecco DBB”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Dollar, United Kingdom
“Prosecco DBB”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed for a night, dinner, bed and breakfast. Ordered a High tea through booking online on their website with a voucher. Handed it over to staff on the afternoon of our stay. They didn't know the voucher existed. It stated that you receive a bottle of Prosecco, instead we got a glass each. Sounds like false advertising. We expected a great selection of cakes, fruit, pastries. We good a small selection of sandwiches, four fruit scones, couple of pancakes, biscuits and a couple of small squidgy cakes and tea, not very impressive since it cost roughly £40.
The room we stayed in was good. It was clean and presentable but was very hot during the night, with the window open and the handle of the toilet became loose so was unable to flush but upon calling reception, the problem was resolved
A couple of nights before, I had phoned to book a table for two in the restaurant and to my surprise on our arrival I had found out that the restaurant forgotten to book our reservation. Fortunately they gave us another time which was 30 minutes later of a difference. The meal we had was excellent, the service very impressive and the quality of the meals was fantastic.
The next morning we went down for breakfast, the selection was fantastic wide a wide choice of hot and cold dishes, the staff were very attentive. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor without disabled room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Liam_Spillane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor member

Thanks for your review if our hotel.

I will provide the clarification to the team about the high tea offer, I'm sorry that this was the case. The remaining part I your review appears to have been excellent and with your constructive feedback along with your positives, I hope we will see you again.

Liam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Having read the recent reviews I was really not sure what to expect. We have just had a 2 night stay and Really enjoyed our visit , our room was in the main building bit small but no problems, clean with everything we needed , nice big bathroom, food very good, staff pleasant and helpful.
We had no complaints at all, fabulous building , lovely little touch in our room was a small box of chocolates and a birthday card

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building higher the better
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My wife and myself stayed here again for our annual anniversary break. I was extremely disappointed to see how dirty and poor the service has become since our last visit.

Lets start from our arrival; Check-in was efficient but not very informative. No info on how the dinner, bed and breakfast rate worked. No clear directions to our room. No information given on the spa facilities. We booked a Deluxe Room with the option to 'upgrade' to a junior suite. We had been informed at check-in that they had 'managed to upgrade us'.

We arrived at our room, in a shabby part of the building (which we had to navigate through a massive bus tour trying to arrive at the hotel) to get to our room. We entered the room to be greeted by a musty smell and a hall carpet coming up in all areas. An initial step onto this carpet revealed that it wasn't fixed to the floor at all and moved with us as we entered. As we entered the main area of the room, we could feel immediately that the room wasn't clean. Cobwebs and dusty all most of the light fittings. Numerous large stains on the carpet. A trip to the bathroom revealed a dirty toilet, mould growing on the grouting surrounding the bath in addition to the dirt on the grouting. Flaking paint from the ceiling, pubic hairs on the shower curtain and stains in the bath itself. Not feeling comfortable, we checked the bed. Yuck - several pubic and head hairs on top of the duvet, under the duvet and under the sheet.

Clearly the room wasn't well maintained nor was it clean. We decided to venture back down to reception and ask for another room. Before we could even inform the receptionist what the problems were, we were told there was another room available but not a suite. Keys were cut and given to us with absolutely no interest in what the issues were with the original room. (This would say to me that we werent the first guests to complain about room cleanliness or potentially that specific room).

Our new room, was tiny. I have a larger utility room at home. There was a double bed and a bathroom. The main bedroom was clean but the bathroom was no better than the suite we were given originally. This was a Deluxe Room? Additionally, during our 2 day stay, dirty glasses and dishes were left in the corridor after being removed from a room. They remained there the whole time. if they cant keep the public areas clean (how many staff members must have walked past these?) imagine what the rooms are like.

Not wanting to cause any more hassle nor spoil anymore of our time away together, we unpacked and ventured down to the restaurant. Wow, what a disappointment. Over cooked food, items missing, several attempts to get the right wine, the wrong sauce delivered. Could be down to the fact we were served by 4 different people? Could be they were new? Shambles regardless.

Thankfully, on our second night, the dinner was amazing. Must have been a different chef as it was clearly a different restaurant team. Looked after from start to finish with hot food served hot and tasty.

I stay in Premier Inn's all the time with my work and they are always spotlessly clean, comfortable and the rooms are well maintained. The staff are chatty and pleasant on every encounter. I don't know why I bother booking anywhere else. I know I'll get a clean room in a Premier Inn.

TL;DR

Dirty rooms
Poor maintained bathrooms
Food in the restaurant seems hit or miss
A general let down and definitely doesn't feel 4 star

Would I book again - No.
Will we have to find somewhere else to spend our annual anniversary breaks - Yes.

Room Tip: Book the restaurant for an earlier time, it gets busy 7-8 Inspect the room on arrival rather than d...
1 Thank Oliver A
Dear Oliver A

Thanks for your review of the hotel.

Sorry that there was nothing you enjoyed about your stay. I think when you return again in the future you will see all of these points will have been addressed.

Liam

Travelers are raving about these Dunblane hotels

Aberdeen
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Had a mid week break here, which was good, the food was excellent, the service in the dining room by the kids at night was excellent. I felt sorry for the receptionist's who had to deal with constant phone calls about housekeeping failings from guests. Issuses need addressed regarding housekeeping, bed linen needs replacing as torn and marked, coffee & tea not replenished daily no biscuits (4 Star) ?, bin not emptied, coffee cups not washed, tissues not replaced. Rooms are not of 4 star standard.

Dear G50J

Thank for you for your review of our hotel.

It was a pity that there we're couple of points that took away from your overall stay, I understand your points within your review, as to why these would have not to your expectations. I'm certain my team will address each of the issues to ensure there will be focus on improvement.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Taking a conscious choice to be a user of Hilton and Doubletree hotels this seemed like the perfect location to stay for a relatives’ wedding around the corner.

Unfortunately, the services were a little hit and miss from start to finish. To start with the positives:
• very friendly staff in the bar and restaurant who were quick and attentive to serve
• approachable and helpful front of house
• clean, modern, comfortable rooms with great views of the surrounding Scottish countryside
• great facilities in the spa where you are served by great staff
• good selection of food and drinks available

sadly the stay was marred by one or two incidents.

Firstly, the front of house manager in the restaurant came close to accusing us of lying and making up our booking. A complete lack of ability to amend restaurant bookings made over the phone, thus leaving no paper trail, only added to this. Ultimately the situation was positively resolved but we didn’t appreciate the attitude on day 1 of our stay.

Secondly, the hotel staff took an interesting approach to rewarding loyalty. We saved up our Hilton honors points to spend on our stay. In the booking, made 9 months prior, it stated that we wanted to be away from a lift only to end up being put in one of a handful next to the lift. I can understand that paying guest may take priority but confirmation of this would have been appreciated

Whilst small and minor, they did tarnish the stay. Overall I would recommend the hotel and facilities to others

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear John A

Thanks for your comments after staying with us.

Please feel reassured that I have noted and actioned your points with the relevant member of my team about the handling of your reservation in the restaurant and the bedroom allocation that you had requested. I'm sorry that these situations took away from your enjoyment.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Nice hilton set in a beautiful building on a hill top in the middle of Dunblane.

I got a nice deal with breakfast, dinner and room for around 100 pounds. I believe that we received 32.5 per person for dinner. AMAZING food. Loved the fish as well as the steak. Innovative dishes based on local ingredients and the passion for good proper food - not too innovative just to be innovative.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Jens M

Thanks for your outstanding review of our hotel and in the main, our restaurant.

The team of chefs we have are about the best I've had the pleasure of working with and the daily task of producing the food that they do is just exceptional. All headed up by Executive Chef Campbell, he's the man behind all of what the Kailyard Restaurant food can do, bar no one else.

Thanks again, I hope to see you again soon.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Booked to stay last Sunday of September. On arrival the reception was buzzing with a wedding reception. Checked in quickly and went up to a room on the top floor which was small and compact. The room unfortunately was extremely dusty with cobwebs from the curtain to the lamp. Dust on the dressing table. One of the twin beds felt unstable whilst the other, was made up with sheets that did not reach the top of the bed. On closer inspection they did not appear to be freshly laundered. The bathroom had an offensive smell.
I immediately phoned reception to inform them of the above and was informed that the duty manager would be informed. After waiting a good ten minutes, I ventured down to reception to address my complaint.
I was not offered another room so chose to check out and was informed that I had NOT been charged for the room. However, full payment has been taken and I'm still waiting for the promised contact letter or phone call from the main manager as promised !!
I then had to search around for new accommodation as it was 7 in the evening.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank hopesendsharon
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear hopesendsharon

Thanks for your review today on TripAdvisor.

If you could contact me at the hotel to discuss your feedback please, I would greatly appreciate it.

Liam Spillane
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Airth Castle & Hotel

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!