“Lovely setting and pretty nice”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed there last night. Fantastic setting with the hotel being in the lovely village of dunblaine.

The hotel itself was incredibly nice with the staff being equally good. The pool next door was an added bonus.

The room was great, if a little small. The windows didn't open much so quite warm. I thought wifi was quite expensive considering the cost overall already paid

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Liam_Spillane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Ceri g

Thanks for your review of our hotel.

It was great to read your positive comments on your stay with us. I know we have some challenges that the team will get on top of, so it's reassuring that the TripAdvisor community will read your comments to provide genuine deserved balance to our reputation.

Liam Spillane, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,149)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We booked to stay here for a bit of luxury between youth hostelling in the highlands and going to the edinburgh fringe ( where we stayed in a travelodge which far exceeded expectation!) We are therefore usually very easy to please.

HOWEVER the whole experience was truly awful. This was across the board, from reception through to the filthy bedroom ( a junior suite),and the even filthier spa changing rooms.

The worst thing of all was the restaurant that the hotel so proudly celebrate.
It took at least 1/2 hour between all courses and over 1 hour between starter and mains - this happened BOTH nights we were there. The food was NOT as described - the mackerel starter was missing the garnish and the capers; the ham hock was missing the thyme toasts.The goats cheese was a fat croquette, was missing the toamtoes and was served with unexpected puy lentils. As for the children's meals - i could have done better myself! the chicken escalopes rendering them inedible.

the problem extended to breakfast where the grapefruit was fizzy.

Following complaining on the first night Aubrey, the restaurant manager, did his best to put things right for us on the second night, but unfortunately the second night was equally bad. - The staff themselves were run ragged - the waiters were trying their best. The general excuse was "we are just very busy and short staffed " - not my problem I am afraid.

Judging by the reviews, and by chatting to a couple of other hotel guests we are not alone in our disappointment. I will be putting my concerns in writing when I have time.

I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TC2001

Dear TC2001

This is not meant to sound repetitive given some problems I have faced within the operation recently but I won't hide the fact that its been busier than ever at the hotel and with a relatively new management team within the restaurant I would ask that you do give us a chance again in the future, when I know we will have these issues addressed.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Water draining problem in the tub for 3 days, rollaway bed was broken. Overpriced Sandwich delivered with old/dead leaf salad not washed full of dirt . I have a picture on this. When complain staffs were not bothered. Bed-linen was not change even we ask it be change few time. Surrounding area of the pool was dirty and staffs again are not bothered. Kid’s meal full of salt no one can eat. Last night of the stay no-lights and no water (in the bathroom) until 4:00am no information is given to the guest regarding this and again no apology Overall stay was a disaster.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
2  Thank SP4SP4
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Shantha P

Thank you for today's review on TripAdvisor.

As we are dealing with your feedback already having received your comments prior to going to TripAdvisor, I will offer my public sincere apology to you as well.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is not the first time we have stayed at this Hotel. We arrived early to be told our room was not available. Fair enough, sat in the bar.
The evening meal was very poor. Mackrel starter was a tiny fillet. Main course fish was poorly cooked. Asked for hand cut chips - received bowl of fries that were soggy and luke warm. Moist chocolate cake with creme fresh turned out to be a dry slice of cake with squirty cream. All four of us complained about the food to the waitress who said she would pass on our comments to the Chef.
We never heard another thing!
This restuarant is affiliated to Nick Nairn who I emailed to suggest he should investigate as the standard will tarnish his excellent reputation. Heard nothing from him either.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear davidmcl

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I have taken the time to discuss your feedback with my team, when you reported it for the chef, was it explained that the chef was going to come and speak with you as it's unclear in your review? If this is the case I am sorry that the follow up did not take place.

The food quality issues you have been kind enough to highlight will be addressed but I'm not sure where the type of cream you have described has come from as we do not have this product in the hotel. I will follow up on these points, please feel fully reassured.

Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last summer and decided to come back for a short break over the Bank Holiday weekend. The deal we got was £141 per couple for DBB which I think is pretty outstanding particularly as the food is excellent. The room and the bathroom had been cleaned to a high standard. Only complaint was the heat, an upright fan had been provided, but these rooms really need air-con. The big plus in this hotel is the standard of the service which is excellent, staff couldn't be more helpful. Breakfast is standard Hilton fare, which is fine although on one of the mornings it was very busy and the staff were struggling to clear tables and serve teas/coffees. The pool and spa is also very good with friendly helpful staff, the water in the pool was a bit cool for us

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go for the Deluxe rooms they are in a quieter area of the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Janice P

Thanks for your really good review of our hotel after your stay with us.

There are some exceptional offers available for our hotel and I'm delighted you felt we delivered quality and great value for money hand in hand!

I hope to see you again and keep your eyes on current TV advertising for our hotel offer!

No soap in bathroom
No iron (ironing table there)
Décor shabby (bits missing and badly scratched furniture). Broken door stop
Shower curtain badly stained

Food at evening meal (private party) ok
Didn't try the spa

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear MaggieCW

Thanks for your feedback after your stay.

As we move into some quieter months the repairs to the rooms that have been damaged will be addressed and I am sorry that you found them to be as you have reflected.

Thanks again for your comments; I will genuinely act upon your points.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I have stayed here before and loved it, however this time was far from the initial standard. On arrival (4.45) our room was not ready, 30 mins later a free pop we were given the room - no audible apology given. Having upgraded from the family room to a junior suite we were disappointed to find the room was badly decorated and the bathroom filthy - fungus behind the toilet and the bath - I would not have washed my dog in it. As the hotel was full no where to move. At breakfast the hotel was extremely busy as I was amazed to have cold bacon and sausages at the buffet! On check out I highlighted the issues with the room (with photographs) very little interest given, no apology and a well I will sort out the balance for you (£35) again no apology no interest.

We love the Kilyard restaurant and looked forward to a enjoyable start to our holiday but what a let down.

Stayed: August 2013

Dear Fiona T

Thanks for your review of our hotel after staying with us.

Admittedly the occupancy this month has been exceptional and when guests depart later than we would wish, it can have knock on implications for guests arriving. A clear apology should have been given, which has been communicated with my team.

I have personally inspected your room that you stayed in and whilst there is a presence of some mildew in part of the grout, I can't really describe it as fungus as you have. Clearly I do not want anything discolouring the grout and we do proactively treat bathrooms to prevent this from happening.

Liam Spillane, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Old Churches House Hotel
The Stirling Highland Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!