“Lovely hotel but service lacking”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed one night in this hotel and although the room was lovely with a view over Dunblane - as a Hilton gold I may have expected a bit more attention but it was the night that Andy Murray won so the hotel was packed. Beautiful grounds, hotel, rooms and lots of easy parking. Swimming pool was out of order but those things happen. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear bswuss

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your recent stay with us.

The overall stay was to a good standard but with the service issues you have highlighted on a busy night like the historic evening when Dunblane crowned our own Andy Murray on winning Wimbledon, yes there was a little slower service than we would have wished for and I’m sorry for that reason that you felt the way you did about us.

Many thanks again for your review, your points have been helpful in making continual assessments of what we do as a team running the hotel.

Liam Spillane, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,159)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 1 night dinner bed and breakfast with other family members. Check in was quick and polite and we received a couple of really nice cookies. When walking to our room, I felt the decor was a bit tired and in need of some care but this was a minor issue. Our room was fine but there were no complimentary toiletries in the bathroom, the tissue holder was empty and the toilet flush was temperamental. We went for a swim in the health club which is located in a separate building and the facilities were good. After our swim we had a drink in the lobby bar where the service was excellent and the margarita was one of the best I have had. We had booked a table of 6 for dinner but although they had the booking, the table had not been made p. this was dealt with politely and efficiently. The service from the young staff in the restaurant could not be faulted and in the main the food was great. We did suffer a long wait between main course and dessert but this did not spoil our meal. The food was of a high standard but for my palate, on the point of being overly salty and we were surprised that the only nick Nairn branded main course on the menu was the cheeseburger. The chips that came with one of the meals were terrible. The choice for breakfast was good but the coffee was terrible to the point that we raised this with the waiter. The service from young Callum was outstanding and he brought us some more coffee. All staff we encountered in the hotel were friendly and professional. I echo the thoughts of other reviewers, in this day and age I expect to find free wifi in most places that i visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear karen r

Thank you for your comprehensive insight into your recent stay with us.

There were clearly areas of your stay that you enjoyed immensely and then a lack of attention to detail from the hotel in other ways. I intend on making this hotel excellent as you have referred to in your title and with constructive feedback, like yours but that has a positive balanced view on your stay, I can get the property to move forward.

Many thanks again for your review.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our visit didn't start very well, I tried to call the hotel numerous times to confirm our booking and request an early check in (as standard check in is at 4pm). After 4 unanswered calls to reception the phone was picked up by reception, and immediately placed on the desk with no comment or request to hold, I was left waiting and listening to all the conversations going on in reception, after 10 minutes I decided to hang up. Turned up at hotel and checked into our room. Our room was very small and had a standard size double bed, which was very disappointing as my husband is 6ft tall and his legs were hanging out the end of the bed. We asked at reception if we could change our room to a room with more space and a big enough bed to fit my husband. We were told that they only had 1 other room and that it too had a small bed (only upgraded rooms have bigger beds). We decided to change to the larger room, which was much brighter and had much more space.
We booked a table for dinner at 8.30pm on our way to dinner we noticed that many of the corridors were littered with dirty dishes, empty bottles and even dirty linen. We met our family and had a pre-dinner drink, 2 pints of beer and 2 vodka and coke which came to £16.40 We then had our meal, which was lovely and the waiter was great. We had ordered another round of drinks, yet the exact same drinks now cost us £22.80!!! We questioned why our drinks were so much more expensive and we were told the restaurant only serve premium vodka, so beware. The next morning we enjoyed a lovely Scottish breakfast, probably the best hotel breakfast we have had. We visited the hotel pool (which is reached by a walk outdoors, so be prepared if the weather is not good) The pool was ok, a little cold and the spa fed directly into the pool so it too was cold. Overall I would say this hotel is certainly not a 4 star luxury hotel.

Room Tip: Unless you want a small bed, upgrade to a bigger room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear LorrGor

Thank you for the time you have taken to review our hotel.

I can see we lost a little of your confidence with the phone calls to the hotel not being answered. I totally understand this and I know I need to make changes to how this is dealt with as quickly as possible.

In relation to the bed sizes, due to the many different sizes of bedrooms we have within this historical building, we have had to be very careful in what bed size should be placed in which room in order to make sure there is a good balance between floor space for guests comfort and bed size.

Again I see your point of view relating to what you witnessed with room service trays being left outside of bedrooms after guest use. We do have a tray collection instruction card placed on each tray and if we are not aware of when the guests leave the tray out, our regular walks of the floor will result in a good tidy up of the corridors.

The situation with the drinks pricing differences will be investigated further and corrected if necessary to provide one pricing across the property.

The bubble pool differs from a jacuzzi, which is self enclosed and has warmer water than the main pool temperature, but our bubble pool is part of the main swimming pool as you have correctly stated so it will be therefore at the normal pool temperature. I'm sorry that this disappointed you.

The DoubleTree breakfast sounded fantastic and I'm delighted that this hit full marks in your opinion.

I know we didn't get a couple of areas right on this occasion but I hope that given the insight above, it will demonstrate to you that I have listened and taken your feedback into consideration genuinely.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed for my birthday on the perfect Sunday's deal if you spend £85 on food and drink in the resturant you get bed and breakfast free well worth the money I paid £40 to upgrade to a deluxe room don't think I'd bother next time dinner at the kaliyard restaurant was excellent and the service great as was breakfast definitely will return

Room Tip: Drink very expensive take your own for the room

Dear Lindapollock

Thank you for your review after you birthday stay with us.

I was delighted to read that your stay went well and that you enjoyed your celebration with us on a Perfect Sunday stay.

Don't leave it to next year to call again!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

First of all I would like to say all staff were very friendly and helpful, and the hotel itself is impressive and imposing in terms of setting and architecture. Any negatory points raised should be viewed as constructive criticism, rather than sheer discouragement.

We arrived at 1530 to be told our room was not ready. Not a massive problem as check-in did not officially start until 1600, although we had requested to check-in earlier.

We left a mobile telephone number with reception, asking the helpful receptionist to call when our room was ready. We spent the next hour in the expensive hotel bar (£20.00 for 2x glasses of pink champagne!) and waited. By 1630 we had received no calls, so visited reception to be told our room was ready. No apology or mention as to why were weren't called, or complimentary drink offered whilst we waited, but never mind.

Walking down a very tatty corridor (walls and doors were scraped and paintwork scratched) to find the double room we had booked had 2x single beds, only one of which had been made up! Phoned reception, no answer. Visited reception. The helpful staff told us it would be made up to a double.

Back to our room to find most surfaces were thick with dust. Even the oft-used desk was covered, whilst the undusted places (such as headboard surround) were thickly layered in dust. Toiletries had previously been used (shampoo and conditioner etc) or simply missing (no shower gel and an empty box of Kleenex tissues which remained empty throughout our 2 night stay).

We left it with housekeeping and after visiting the Swimming Pool (which is nice but not 4-star nice and requires an outside walk, so take a jacket or umbrella if weather is bad!) we returned to find a double bed had been made up (the 2x singles with a double topper, not exactly ideal) but room was still very dusty, unhoovered and missing toiletries.

We had a ground level room which had a walkway directly outside the window – but with no privacy curtain or netting! After walking the length of the path it would seem our room was the only one missing a net curtain! Unlucky I suppose but again not ideal.

Dinner was delicious, but quite a noticeable wait between courses. Most reviews tend to concur that there is quite a wait for courses to be served. Breakfast buffet was lovely, but the oddest thing I have ever seen in a hotel is no teaspoons! Both mornings we had to request teaspoons, bizarre but still lovely.

We raised our concerns regarding the state of our room with reception on check-out. The receptionist was friendly and apologetic, but no form of compensation or future reductions offered.

Other slight disappointments were; lack of any free Wi-Fi (really? even the lowliest coffee shop does free Wi-Fi now), very poor quality of TV (subpar picture quality, not HD - or if it was the TV was faulty, remote batteries were taped in, no teletext/red button service and no Electronic Programme Guide), the swimming pool was nice but always on the chilly side and the spa fed directly into the pool so was always cold too. I would describe the pool facilities as more good local council than 4-star luxury spa.

Overall if we were visiting the Stirling area we might consider the Hydro again, but we would first shop around, and if staying would request an upgraded room.

1  Thank Keith R
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Keith R

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I am sorry first of all that your stay was not to the standard I would have wished to have provided for you. I can see that you have taken a lot of time and effort to compose your review, which is appreciated and I do receive it in the manner in which you have requested, which are constructive observations during your stay with us.

I will get these issues addressed and will get the management teams attention to detail in the right place given the problems you encountered. Again I am sorry about these points. If you could contact me at the hotel if the chance came up again in the future to revisit I promise you my personal attention for your stay.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Excellent and relaxing stay with great restaurant. Relaxing spa facilities with good pool and again excellent staff. Highly recommended for family break, we stayed with 6 week old first child and had no problems and were very well looked after. Sadly no free wifi in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Tom B

Thank you for your great review of our hotel.

Even with your six week old child, to get the chance to relax in the way you have described is so good to read about. Maybe we have a lifelong loyal Hilton guest in the making there with your child!

Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. We arrived 15 mins before check in and had to wait until 4pm for our room. This wasn't a problem. When we arrived at our room I realised I hadn't been given our cookies at check-in. I phoned down to reception and asked for breakfast menus for ordering the room service breakfast. 2 hours later I went to reception and got them myself. The room was lovely, a deluxe room in the old part of the hotel, views of the large grounds at the front. Not as good as the previous deluxe room I had stayed in at the hotel. The previous one had a lovely chaise longue in it. There were also stains on the ceiling which looked like possible water damage. The room was very hot but there was a fan provided which was fantastic. We had a meal in the bar on the first evening and the food was delicious. Cocktails were lovely too. The following day we had breakfast in our room. The service was excellent and the food fantastic. Highly recommended. That evening we also had a meal in the bar, again excellent food and service. We had breakfast in our room again the following day and again fantastic. I feel for this visit the hotel should have had a good rating but the options are average and very good.

Room Tip: a deluxe room is in the old part of the hotel and much nicer
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear rhnmckill

Thanks for your review which was posted today.

I can see that you enjoyed many parts of your stay particularly the food quality and the service by my fantastic team in the hotel which is always great to read about.

The warm spell of weather we had did mean the building temperatures were warmer than usual but with this understanding, we tried to mitigate this by having fans in every room for guest comfort.

Many thanks again for your time in reviewing our hotel.

Liam Spillane, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
The Stirling Highland Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!