“Magnificent hotel let down by details in the room”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Lincoln
“Magnificent hotel let down by details in the room”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel was in a fantastic location near Stirling Castle and with wonderful views towards the highlands. The restaurant was really good with good selection of food options on the menu and good service. Our accommodation experience was however disappointing, we paid for an upgrade to a superior room with great views to the front of the hotel.
The size and design of the room was good but unfortunately it did have some faults which were brought to the attention of the reception staff but nothing was done over the 2 nights we were there. The carpets in our room were badly stained, and would behave benefitted from a good clean, and the mixer tap on the bathroom wash basin was very loose.
Our superior room should have come with glasses and robes but it took 2 call to reception to correct the situation 1hr 20 mins later !
We would stay here again though

Room Tip: Have room at front of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnELincoln
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear JohnELincoln

Thank you for your review of DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane Hotel.

I was sorry to read that there were a couple of points that did not please you during your stay. I know we have a small number of rooms that have a red wine stain which has proved difficult to remove, but I would like to assure you that the carpets are clean but have an understandable impression by you that it may not on first impression be at the standard you would have expected.

The other points that you kindly highlighted to me have been followed up by my maintenance team and Housekeeping department as well.

Thanks again for your review, please do let me know if you get a chance to come back again.

Liam Spillane, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ardrossan, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Have tried to forget about our family stay (2 plus 2) back in February this year but if I say that we cancelled the 3rd night a few hours after arriving at the hotel this goes a long way to telling our story. And thank goodness we did!
Firstly, nice looking, almost faulty towers style hotel but not in any way child friendly. So if you're visiting with kids then do yourself a favour and book somewhere else.
Rooms are fully refurbished and look nice but are cramped when the fold down metal framed bed is in place for the children as this covers the full floorspace. Larger children of 6 years plus probably won't have a good sleeping experience, and neither did we as we had no option but to sleep in the badly padded lumpy thing on the first night of our stay. Unfortunately despite asking (and being assured by!) the receptionist if they were going to make up the fold down bed they didn't and we had to return complaining to reception after a long awaited, disasterous dinner (more later) at 11.30 pm which led them on a hunt to find/take bed linen from other unused rooms. By the time this was done our children had fallen asleep in the main bed so we swapped sleeping places with them on the first night. Just not good at all.
Upon first arriving at 3pm in the afternoon (after a failed attempt to phone the restaurant via the room phone) we were told that as they were busy we couldn't book any dinner slot until 9pm. That was just too late for our 8 and 11 year old especially as they had nowhere (and I mean nowhere) to pass their time when staying in this hotel. There is no games room, play room or even chill out space available for them so children have to hang around in adult spaces (the bar and lounge) just waiting or thinking of ways to relieve their boarding. The rear entrance foyer became an inpromptu footballing pitch on the second night and none of the staff seemed to bother, never mind! This 9pm dinner booking was late enough but as we didn't get served our starters until around 10.10pm it was becoming extremely annoying and with the wrong food being served (things that were apparently already sold out/finished) I was becoming slightly irate.
Overnight was a sleep disaster and then we didn't enjoy having to queue for breakfast outside in the reception hall. 20 minutes in an everlasting queue just because the staff couldn't be bothered (inefficient or just badly trained?) to take more than one group of guests in to be seated at any time. Heads were shaking all along the queue, and I bet there were quite a few disgruntled people in this hotel that particular weekend!
The pool for the hotel is outside and a 2 minute walk. It hasn't received any investment for years, has terrible changing rooms (male and female split) and a disabled WC which doubles as a family changing enclosure. What a joke. Black jelly scum exists in certain areas, cleansing is obviously not high on the agenda and all in all a poor effort for a hotel which has allegedly received a massive capital investment.
As a summary I'd say never again, not for me nor any of my family. The food was good in the restaurant (when it was eventually served) but there were too many negatives which this hotel needs to address. Money was cut from our bill because of the numerous complaints and problems which arose due to the management inefficiency/problems and we were lucky to be within time to cancel the third night which was a major relief.
Other friends who stayed the same weekend had a similarly disasterous experience (they won't return either) and had very expensive jewellery stolen/taken from their room safe (or lost in the room for a couple of days until it mysteriously turned up behind a curtain once the police were involved).
All in all poor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear /52PaulS

Thanks for your review of our hotel after you stay with us back in February.

We have now completed our investment in the health club and it is looking much better for it!

I was sorry to read about your dinner reservation times, it can be busy in the evening so good advice would be to book as early as you can on arrival at the hotel or if you wanted to make sure that younger guests eat early perhaps call the hotel in advance and we will happily guarantee you your preferred time.

As I have stated with a couple of other responses, the age of the building can sometimes mean that in order to utilise the space we have available, the configuration of bedrooms can sometimes mean a quirky layout. I understand fully that this did not suit your needs and so I'm sorry again for this issue arising of limited space. I will also follow up on your comments on the carpet stains and comfort of the fold out bed.

Thank you again for your review, I hope that my response has been useful to yourself and to all guests reading it for the future.

Liam Spillane, General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Dunblane hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We recently went to the Doubletree for our first wedding anniversary. Overall we had a really nice break. The room was good, very clean and nicely decorated. However, for a hotel that was supposed to be 4* I have to say I was left a little disappointed... It was the little things that seemed to let it down. For example, I am absolutely not a wine snob at all - as long as its cold and refreshing I'm generally happy, but the glasses were badly washed and whilst I didn't mind this, I did notice a few people sending theirs' back. Similarly, we ate in the restaurant once. The food was absolutely fantastic, but the cutlery was stained and the windows looking out across the grounds were covered in finger marks, our breakfast table in the morning had no milk, salt or pepper on it. All very easily solved - it all just felt like it needed a wee bit more attention to the details.

I feel like I'm nit-picking a little... the staff were lovely and the food was fantastic, but for a hotel that we chose for a special occasion I suppose I felt a bit underwhelmed. Compare this to the 4* Marine in North Berwick and, to be honest, there is no comparison - for a similar price I'll be going back to the Marine in the future.

Still - a nice wee break away. Just please we used Tesco vouchers to get a good discount!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SocialTravelGirl
Dear Socialtravelgirl

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I will deal with the cleanliness issues you highlighted in the restaurant instantly, I am sorry that these were not at our usual high standard. The attention to detail really should been much better too and please feel reassured that this too will be addressed.

If you do feel like giving us another try in the future, please do contact me where I will be pleased to personally assist where I can.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have just returned from a family get together at Dunblane Hydro which was, overall, quite disappointing.

- public spaces are ok, well kept but a wedding on the Saturday completely took over the bar meaning our family lunch was spoilt by an inability to hear ourselves think !

- bedrooms: tiny and hot. Our 'family room' had absolutely no floor space such that we couldn't get to the window; sweets from the mini-bar were continually on display (in a FAMILY room - come on!) and nowhere in the bathroom to put your toiletries without the continual risk of them falling down the loo. We had to turn the glass coffee table hazard upside down so that our children didn't continually walk into it.

- breakfast: appauling. The food choice was beyond poor and quality was ropy. If a hotel of this apparent calibre can't do poached eggs or smoked haddock for breakfast then surely there is something wrong. The coffee was stewed and undrinkable and the tea served in massive teapots to be poured into the smallest of cups. The service was quite disorganised although individuals did try to do their best there didn't seem to be anyone taking charge.

- dinner: ok. Apparently a Nick Nairn restaurant, overall the food was quite mediocre but very expensive. Nick's signature dishes were served dry and relatively tasteless. Service was mixed - one night fantastic, second night, not so. Again, no maître d' evident.

- leisure club: apparently just renovated but very shabby. Tiles falling off the walls, showers unfinished and the changing room floors very much in need of a clean. To be honest, if I was paying for membership, I wouldn't. Clearly there is no competition locally and the standards are pretty low !

Overall, I felt it was a poor hotel - it's trying to be something it clearly isn't and if you look at the website expecting a luxurious experience, you'll be disappointed. To be honest, we've stayed in much better Premier Inns.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear mary P

Thanks for today's review on TripAdvisor.

At this time of the year we are a very popular choice for weddings and I'm sorry that this impacted upon your stay in the way that you have highlighted. It can be one of those moments in a guest’s stay that will either sit well with a guest or not, to watch a bride and groom arrive and feel the energy and excitement of the guests attending can be quite fun for guests not attending the actual wedding itself.

There are standard provisions in all rooms and again similar to your last point, some families appreciate the ease and convenience of such items you have referred to for happy parents and happy children. I do take your point but I just need to make sure that I am providing as many expected services as possible to as many guests as possible.

For our Hilton breakfast we do have both food items available which are cooked on request, but not available on the buffet. These items are either difficult to keep warm or in good presentable condition if they were placed on the buffet unfortunately.

The health club has indeed gone through a substantial investment and due to over running in the project time allotted to it, there were some areas that still needed addressed to bring to the highest standard of presentation. I don't think it was a cleanliness issue more like a snagging improvement by the contractors.

Thank you again for your points, I am sorry that we just did not quite please you in the way that I had hoped for. I hope in due course you will allow me the opportunity of having a second opportunity to accommodate your family again in the future.

Dunblane, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Lovely staff. Very accommodating. It was an incredible break from the poor quality hotels/bed and breakfast we stayed at during our vacation to Scotland. This is despite paying over twice your charges for many of our other accommodations. We wanted to cancel the rest of our reservations and stay at your facility. Thanks for bringing a solid and well known American quality experience to weary Americans traveling abroad.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Tejas M

Thank you for your great review of our hotel after your stay with us.

It was a pleasure to read that your stay had been so comfortable and such good value for money too - The DoubleTree by Hilton brand is a very popular choice in America and it was great to see that we provided some "home comfort"

I know you may not be back in the country again that soon, but at least you know where we are now and have no reason not to call again if you're back!

Kind regards

Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Awful, sadly my reservation was altered to another name by the receptionist, (one who did not have a resevation) and arriving at 1 am due to a late flight, found that there was no room for me! This was the start of a terrible 2 nights, that frankly I do not want repeated. Unfortunate as Ive stayed at this hotel before many times and whilst the stay has not bee excellent, is been acceptable as a business hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Martin S

Thank for your review of our hotel after your stay with us. I am really sorry for the mix up that took place last week on arrival at the hotel.

As we are corresponding with you privately, having received your feedback direct as well as on TripAdvisor, I will keep my response short but once again emphasise my sincerest apologies for what happened. This is a unique situation and is fair to say not quite how you have relayed in your version.

I look forward to hearing back from you when you have time. Thank you again for your second piece of feedback after your stay.

scotland
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Overall, it was ok, but no better than that. For me, the customer service fell short of what I'd expect.
If you want a feel for the level of customer service you'll get, try phoning up the hotel beforehand with a question (I gave up after several minutes of navigating the interminable options to try to speak to a human being).
Don't get me wrong, everyone is friendly, but I had a couple of issues that surprised me - I'd have expected better. First - I couldn't find my room - I was in one of the wings and the girl at reception didn't make that clear - so I asked one of the hotel porters for help. To be fair, he took me to my room - but no offer to carry or even help with the several bags I was carrying? (not a great start on checking in then)
Then, and much more importantly, I couldn't get access to my work computer network as the hotel wifi is unsecured and there was nowhere in my room to plug in a network cable. So I asked at reception where I could plug it in, not expecting for one second that there would be a problem (I encounter this issue regularly). Apparently I could PAY FOR a code, which may or may not let me access from the business centre. I could take a chance if I want, and get a refund if it didn't work. really? Is that it? The response I usually get goes more like "of course sir, let me help you with that". Needless to say i didn't take up the offer.
Access to my work network is a deal breaker so, for that reason alone, I wouldn't stay here again, but regardless of that, this place felt a little soulless and impersonal to me, and lacked a personal touch. I wouldn't rush back even in a personal capacity.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear nickya

Thanks for your review of our hotel.

Your headline and part of your content within your review is clearly a concern for me. The customer service element has been discussed with my Front Office Manager as a clear case of not supplying a common courtesy in assisting with your luggage - I am sorry for this.

The matter of the internet access is heavily protected from company to company depending on the nature of your business which can mean some companies will not give clearance to our network even though our hotel network is classified as a secure network. In short, if a guest's business is one where there is highly confidential content being viewed, no public network may be able to satisfy the guest's security settings - this happens on a very rare basis but yes it can happen.

I am sorry that these points arose for you during your stay, I hope that my responses provide some clarity and honest insight into your review.

Liam Spillane, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan
Stirling Court Hotel
Stirling Court Hotel
#7 of 20 in Stirling

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!