“Excellent Room and Service”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Hubby and I stayed here for his fortieth birthday recently.

We stayed in a Deluxe room in the main building overlooking the town. The room was huge and the en-suite had a huge spa bath with separate shower (rainfall shower head). The bathroom absolutely made the room. The shower was powerful and really hot and the bath was really great!

The bed was ok, not the best I've slept in but not the worst either. The only issue I had in the room was the carpet...it was pretty badly stained in several places. I didn't ask for another room though because the bathroom was just so nice!

To a one, every staff member we encountered during our two night stay was polite, helpful and efficient. We have no complaints whatsoever. In fact, we had a slight issue with the wifi and it was satisfactorily resolved by the concierge in seconds.

We didn't eat there for dinner so can't comment on that but the breakfast was nice. Self service for both hot and cold food. I didn't have the cooked breakfast but my husband did and loved it both mornings. We also has a sandwich and tea etc from the lounge and they were all lovely too.

Overall, I'd say its a good hotel with lovely staff and nice rooms... I think the deluxe rooms are a good deal better than the standard rooms though so well worth upgrading if you can.

We would be happy to stay here again. Might even bring the kids next time!

• Stayed: April 2013
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Sheryl_McQ

Whaooo, what a great review! Thank you so much.

There are many positives to take from your review which as I team we love to read about as it spurs us on to continuing to raise the bar even higher. The points that you constructively commented on will be addressed as soon as I can, I'm sorry that they came to your attention the first place.

Thanks again for your review, please do come back again and yes........bring the children too!

Liam

Liam Spillane, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,194)

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Despite the many good reviews, this was my worst hotel experience for some time, starting with dinner. The restaurant is hyped up as something special but the meal was a great disappointment: poor quality control (e.g. soup too salty to drink), small portions, and high prices. The bedroom was hot and small. The bed was short and uncomfortable. Internet access was an extra £14.99 a night and so slow that it was unuseable (0.2 Mbps), though the reception staff agreed to delete this from the bill. Breakfast was an extra £20 (!) with nothing special to recommend it: the orange juice was warm and no pot was provided for tea. On checkout I found that two items from someone else's dinner had been added to my restaurant bill: poor quality control again. I was booked in for two nights but couldn't face another so checked out as soon as I could. Hilton management have some work to do here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank NKCole
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear NKCole

Although your review is not as I would have hoped for I accept that you have valid points to make and I appreciate the time you've taken to give me your opinion.

Rather than risking sounding defensive, I would like to firmly assure you that we do have some work to do based on your feedback. I can promise that the points you have made will be addressed. Please take this next comment in the polite manner I mean this but whilst your stay has not been good, I would ask both yourself and all reviewers of your post and my response to take a perspective from the overall great comments we do receive. Sometimes we get it wrong and I am sorry this was the case with you.

I hope that I have demonstrated to you that your comments have been taken seriously, please do contact me at the hotel in the future if I can help in any way should the situation arise.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Firstly, I would like to comment on how beautiful this hotel and it’s surroundings are. It is truly a lovely place to stay with all the 5 star amenities available for you at your disposal. The decor is tasteful and the hotel as a whole is spotless. Upon arriving at the hotel the staff were great and went out of their way to help you with your every need. I particularly enjoyed the warm chocolate chip cookie we received when checking in! However, it didn't stop there... the food and service throughout our stay was excellent. Myself and my partner both had the steak for dinner, it was one of the nicest steaks I have ever had! The chef is very talented and we will definitely be visiting again even if it’s just for lunch! Whilst staying at the hotel I also decided to visit the spa, there are some slight refurbishments being carried out at the moment however, that does not interrupt the quality this hotel and spa has to offer and I still thoroughly enjoyed my time here. This will be the first of many trips to this beautiful hotel. We can’t wait to book again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amy C
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Amy C

What a fantastic review!

You have been kind enough to comment on many of the great facilities in the hotel but my favourite always has to be the great team of staff I have here at the hotel, they are really the best asset this beautiful hotel has.

Thanks for your review, it was a really insightful and informative piece of feedback for our TripAdvisor Community.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

On a busy Friday evening the staff were most efficient & charming as we checked in to this beautiful building. The room was Hilton at it's best, modern, clean & plush. Even though the hotel was busy with Burns Night reveller's we had a wonderful nights sleep. Then came the best breakfast spread you can get, full Scottish breakfast came with haggis, this must be tried. Some of the best hotel staff we have come across in a beautiful location.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear MattandGail

Thanks for your fantastic review of our hotel after your stay with us.

It's great to read that even you stayed with us earlier in the year, the positive impressions we made has remained with you until now. Perhaps it's time to think about coming back to see us again as we'd love to see you return!!

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Had a very enjoyable stay, nice welcome, staff very helpful and cheery. Dinner and breakfast both served at the kailyard were lovely, high standard of taste and presentation. Drinks and in room movies were a it over priced along with bar food however expected fo high class hotel. A mistake was made on a sandwich order from the bar however was quickly resolved and was deducted from the bill. Would certinly stay again. Especially at the discounted price we recieved from 5pm.com!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear 427DebbieM

Thank you for taking the time to review DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro Hotel after your recent stay with us, I appreciate the the time you took out to place your opinions on TripAdvisor.

Obviously I'm delighted that you had a great time during your stay with us and in particular that the great team that we have working here really gave you a taste of their personality with their warmth and technical ability to give you a really positive impression of our hotel.

I hope that it won't be too long before we see you again, watch out for similar priced deals on our on website by booking direct!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Hotel was a delight with great enthusiastic staff. Standard twin room was very pleasant with spotless ensuite and lovely complimentary Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries not forgetting the delicious warm cookie on arrival. Leisure facilities were great, my husband, myself and my son enjoyed the pool as we spent quite a lot of time there when you have kids - well that's our excuse. Evening dinner in The Killearn was again a pleasant experience - food delicious and great attentive staff. Menu had something to suit all tastes. Breakfast again was very enjoyable -will definitely be booking again and next time for longer. 5 out of 5 definitely Double Tree.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear 436AnnaL436

Thank for today's review on TripAdvisor and it was great to read that you had such a fantastic stay with us.

From food and service levels to our leisure facilities, we appear to have made a really great impression. Just to let you know as well, we are finalising the dates for a refresh of our health club that will give us a bright new feel to the already great facilities within the club.

Thanks again for the time you've taken to give the TripAdviser community your thoughts on your stay.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My family and I booked an afternoon tea here as a special occasion. It was booked for 4pm and so we arrived for this time. On the hotel's website it is reported that you "Unwind with afternoon tea in the DoubleTree by Hilton Dunblane Hydro hotel's Stuart Lounge". However, as we went to enter the Stuart Lounge, we were quickly notified that we were not sitting in there but had been allocated a table in what seemed to be the corridor to the hotel's main entrance. This had not been communicated with us on the phone when we had booked. We were sat with other guests, who at 4pm, were still waiting for their rooms to be ready so that they could check-in.
Although we were seated at 4pm, and tea and coffee brought at that time, our afternoon tea didn't arrive until 4.35pm. The poor service didn't end there. We quickly realised that afternoon tea had only been provided for 4 people - when we had booked it for our party of 5 people. We immediately notified the bar staff and at 4.50pm we received the 5th person's afternoon tea.

At £15 per person for afternoon tea, you expect a quality service and ambience. It was absolutely disgraceful service and we felt it was very unfair that we paid the same price as others but were located off the hotel's main corridor.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank _kaykdar_
WatchmanDunblane, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Ailsa_11

Thank you for your email direct to me and for the review on TripAdvisor.

I would like to re-emphasise my apologies which I have made privately to you in my email and now publicly on TripAdvisor.

I look forward to seeing you return to the hotel in the not too distant future, where I will be pleased to assist where I can.

Liam Spillane, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
The Stirling Highland Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!