“The good, the bad and the faintly ridiculous!”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
“The good, the bad and the faintly ridiculous!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

The good: the hotel is well presented and the staff very friendly and helpful especially Ashleigh on reception. The food at breakfast and dinner was excellent and the room very sizeable and the shower excellent. The bad: the sofa bed in our 'deluxe family room' was an instrument of torture! Despite being on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal we were unable to get a table in the restaurant on the Friday night and could only get a table for 6.30pm or 9.15pm on the second night. The hotel should advise booking a table for dinner at the time of room reservation. We ate in the lounge bar on the Friday which was fine although the tables and chairs are more suitable to a relaxed drink than eating at. The ridiculous: £2 for a caramel wafer in your room and when you can get free wi-fi in every pub and coffee house to charge £15 per day is unacceptable.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
I am sorry that you could not book a table in the Restaurant at your preferred time; we allocate bookings throughout the evening so that the chef brigade can keep up with the demand and provide the quality of food we require. We do advise our guests to book in advance to avoid disappointment such as yours, please accept our apologies for this oversight. The hotel provides complimentary wifi for guest’s in the public areas, in compliance with Hilton policy; I have passed on your feedback to ensure all our guests are informed on arrival. Thank you for leaving your feedback on Trip Advisor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (836)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bishopton, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for my 40th birthday with members of my family. The rooms were great, the hotel decor is much improved, our dinner and breakfast were fantastic quality and the staff were very helpful. I would thoroughly recommend a stay in this hotel - great value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback – as with all feedback, your comments will be shared with our team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Scotland
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had taken advantage of a 5pm deal which gave us bed and breakfast and dinner up to the value of £64. We arrived at the hotel shortly after 4pm, there was a queue at reception but another member of staff immediately arrived to get everyone checked in as quickly as possible. Our room was on the 4th floor and there was a queue for the lift, which is quite small, so we opted for the stairs.

The room was of a good standard, the bathroom was much larger than normal and was exceptionally clean and well maintained.

We had a drink in the Cocktail Lounge which was lovely and relaxing, the views across Dunblane are stunning. The drinks are expensive £8 for a large glass of wine.

We had dinner which was brilliant, the food was delicious, my husband had the brown shrimp cocktail which looked lovely. I had the braised beef and my husband had the venison both of which were delicious. My husband had the cheese for dessert and I had the tarte tartin which was very tasty. The breakfast was also lovely, although I would avoid the scrambled egg which was quite runny, everything else was delicious.

Overall a great experience and a good deal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Parked right outside the front door, up the stairs (didn’t see any signs foir the lift that was indeed there) Fast easy check in, straight up to a small room, just walkable round the bed. Good bathroom, towels smelt of vinegar which I guess is washed at too low a temperature or something. Good shower. Minimal television channels. Good staff in the bar although the draft coming up the stairs was bitterly cold. Very poor service at breakfast. Tetchy tall ginger lad maybe 22 was unpleasant. After I’d asked for coffee, he continued to clear empty tables, another guy gave me my first coffee - took 20 minutes after arriving – eh! Also he didn’t relay my order for poached eggs to the kitchen. I asked another lad and he brought 2 out, no toast, I mistakenly assumed they come together. That was 40 minutes after I arrived. Wasn’t asked how it was on the way out. Fast easy friendly checkout. I’d certainly try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
sunderland
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in February for one night with 20+ other work colleagues, we were quickly checked in and given a hot cookie on arrival which was a very nice touch after a long days training! We had pre booked to eat in the restaurant at 8.00pm so headed down to the bar area to relax, the drinks are quite expensive here so be prepared to pay more than your used to. Our Meal was very tasty, we all had a starter, main meal and a desert, most of our group enjoyed their meal but I do think the service could be better as some people on our table waited for their meal for quite some time after we were served.

The beds were comfortable and there was a hair drier in the cupboard to use, and there was lovely toiletries to use in the bathroom. The mini bar was verrry expensive, £3 for a can of pop and £7 for a mini spirit!

There was no hot water to get a shower on the evening of our arrival nor was there any when we woke up so had to had two cold showers which I think is unacceptable for this type of hotel.

Breakfast is a buffet style and there is plenty to choose from, we were seated and offered tea or coffee, however there is different kinds of juices available too. We had some bacon and wanted to make a bacon sandwich but the buns were stale and very dry! The sausages however were beautiful, you will defiantly be spoilt for choice.

All in all we had a nice stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
I’m sorry to read you some hot water issues; our maintenance team are working hard to remediate this as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience. Your comments have been shared with the team for focus in the departments requiring some. Thank you for your feedback.
Lochwinnoch
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a long story so sit back comfortably and I'll begin. Let me start with the good bits. The food was very good (eventually). The staff (especially McKenzie in the restaurant) were very friendly and polite and apologised a lot. It would have been better if things had gone sufficiently well for them not to have to apologise.

But, to the beginning. My wife and I bought a discounted voucher back in October with the intention of treating ourselves (and dog) to a weekend away at Dunblane Hydro to celebrate St Valentine's day. When we made the actual booking, in January, we asked if we could book our dinner table as well. "Just book when you arrive." we were told. Anyway, on the morning of the 16th February, just before we started packing, we phoned to firm up our reservation for dinner only to be told that the restaurant was very busy and we could not get the time we wanted. We were told to wait for a senior manager to phone us back to try to arrange something. Three hours later we phoned them back only to be told that the manager had rushed in and out again to a meeting. By this time we were three hours behind our intended itinerary which would have included a wander round Dunblane, a walk in the hotel gardens and a time in the swimming pool and sauna. We had to skip most of that and settle to arrive about 4 p.m. after arranging dinner for 9.00 p.m. although why that could not have been arranged on our first phone call I do not know. On booking the receptionist seemed more concerned about thrusting two hot cookies into my hand for us rather than checking if we wanted a twin or double room. We were sent to a room with two single beds pushed together. Already tired and a bit disgruntled we were not in a mood to start arguing so we unpacked and settled in the room. the room was very cramped and was only fitted with furniture for a single person, i.e. only one armchair and that was peculiarly shaped, almost as if it were designed to cause back-ache. we decided to bathe before dinner. Guess what? No hot water. It seems that all the other guests had beaten us to it. this time I did complain and we were shown to another room. (We had to repack and re-unpack!) This time there was a dribble of warm water but (another guess?) there was no bath. The room was designed for a wheel chair user and only had a shower. Not great when you want to relax in a bath. O.K. most of the plans dashed. Let's go to dinner. Our voucher allowed us £65 towards dinner. That just about covered two mains so we accepted that we would have to top up the bill. Our first request for for sherry as a pre-prandial. Only one type of dry sherry was available the rest being sickly sweet stuff that would only suit a pudding. Not great for a supposedly high class restaurant. My wife had the (bone dry and characterless) sherry that was on offer. I settled for tap water. For starters my wife had a shrimp cocktail "Very good" she said. It dod look good. I had a fillet of mackerel on a beetroot and horseradish sauce. that was absolutely super. We cheered up. For mains, my wife ordered sirloin steak and asked for it to be served "bleu", i.e., only seared. I asked for rump of lamb, again very underdone. When the food arrived, my lamb was done perfectly but my wife's steak was cooked to the well done side of medium. It was sent back. My food was taken away to be kept warm. It was brought back on a smaller plate with a substantial amount missing. We lost our good cheer! We were by now well into eating our main courses, trying to saw through the meat with our very blunt knives, and the wine we had ordered had still not arrived. We told the waiter and the wine eventually arrived at the end of our meal. Another complain was issued and we were offered free drinks to make up for it. My wife had a coffee and I had a tea. We were slightly mollified until the bill came and we found we had been charged (substantially) for the complimentary drinks. I spoke to our waiter again and the price of the tea and coffee was removed from the bill. And so to bed. During the night our bill for the stay. Our voucher, which was to cover dinner, bed and breakfast was treated as gift voucher and only the sum paid was deducted from our bill rather than cover most of the bill. We were overcharged by about £50. Also, I had ordered a complimentary newspaper when I booked in. We were charged £2.20 for this complimentary newspaper but no newspaper ever turned up! Next thing, into the shower only to find no hot water. Again! Have you ever tried shaving with cold water? by this time I had had enough. I went to reception and asked to speak to a senior manager. A nice lady (Louise) came to see me and took careful note of all of the problems that had beset us. She agreed to giving us a full refund except for the bottle of wine we had for dinner.

I am still left with an overwhelming disappointment with our experiences in this hotel. i most definitely do not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BioToxic1
It is frustrating to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us; and we will be investigating further into the issues you have noted here to ensure an improved quality of service is offered. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for your disappointing experience when you were here.

Travelers are raving about these Dunblane hotels

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have lived in Dunblane for some 8 years and for much of that time I have been a member of the health club at the Hydro. I’m glad that I no longer am. The health club has been in decline for many years and a recent visit (as a guest) suggests that the decline continues.
Roughly half of the changing room lockers are unusable either because there is no key or, in many instances, there is no lock at all! There are missing floor tiles in the shower area and the shower heads appear to be covered with mildew. The roof above the swimming pool is brown with rust. The steam room has an extensive patchwork of missing tiles and there are damp marks on the walls of the tiny gym. The whole club needs a total makeover and soon!

Room Tip: Use the gym at Stirling University
Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
A planned major development of the Health Club has been proposed to the owners and we too, are aware of the need to update some areas. Your comments will help us to prioritise this work, however do hope you will continue with your membership and enjoy the updated Health Club we are all looking forward to having. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan
Stirling Court Hotel
Stirling Court Hotel
#7 of 20 in Stirling

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!