“great weekend break”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed February 17, 2013

ju st spent a weekend and staff are extreemly helpfull hotel really comfortable and relaxing will deffinately go back good value for money food great 11 of us and were all delighted staff were all very friendly andlocation lovely and plenty to do cathedral worth avisit my grandaughters loved the whole weekend

Room Tip: 1st floor was very good and handy
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for such lovely comments, we are delighted to read you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your weekend with us.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We needed to find a nice hotel for the Valentine's weekend as Airth Castle, where we usually stay, was full.

What a magnificent find!

My son is disabled so we have to be careful where we book, we certainly will have no qualms about staying here again.

Positives - The food. My God! If you are on a diet, don't eat here! The food was sublime. We were on the Dinner, Bed and Breakfast package and ate like royalty. Dinner was fantastic, we took notice of what others had written and ate early evening. We had no issues with food being delayed or the quality suffering. Breakfast was also lovely, again we came down early before the crowds, we thoroughly enjoyed our food over the weekend.

The hotel staff. Utterly professional and truly courteous and polite. Thank you all very much!

The cookies. On your first night you receive complimentary cookies. Food again I know, but these are a taste sensation!

The room. Nice, spacious and clean. As you'd expect for a four star.

The grounds. It's such a lovely area, we got geared up and went for walks post dinner. It's a lovely walk down to the main road and back.

Negatives - This is only a slight negative, but the Spa facilities are a 40 -50 metres walk from the hotel. You have to leave the hotel, enter the elements, which was wind and rain for us, and make your way there. We personally prefer, baring in mind a disabled child, to simply get out of the hotel lift and enter the Spa. Even a walk down the corridor is lovely. As I wrote, only a minor negative. The facilities once you're there are very good though, well worth battling the elements for.

The disabled lift was out of order. We had to lift my son up the four or five steps at the front of the hotel every time we wanted to leave. Well, either that or we had to walk around the back of the hotel to the other entrance. Once inside however, everything was rosey.

The food. I know I wrote this as a positive, but our diet is now in tatters! The food is that good!

Overall - This rivals our usual haunt when we come to Scotland. We now have two choices / decisions to make the four or five times we go up there. Did we enjoy it? Definitely. Will we stay again? Definitely.

Both my wife and I would like to thank both the managers and staff at The Doubletree HIlton for making our family trip a wonderful experience.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Colinconnor

Thank you for your feedback, it is lovely to read that you had a wonderful trip. We have plans to remove the lift that is out of use at the front of the building as the entrance in the larger car park is more accessible and has specific designated parking bays. We look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Recenty stayed here and found the hotel beautifully decorated and maintained! Staff were friendly rooms were tidy and the food for evening meal and breakfast was outstanding. The hotel however was lacking hot water both morning and night and I didn't really enjoy having a freezing cold shower. Similarly i think the bar prices are extortionate(six pound for single and mixer) and you'd be much better bringing your own!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

We are working hard with our mechanical and electrical consultants to eliminate these occasional water issues that impact the visits of guests; please accept our apologies. We do feel that our pricing structure relates well to prices charged in similar hotels, however will take into account your feedback for our next review. Thank you for your contribution.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Took my girlfriend for her birthday on 9th February and must admit I was not really impressed

Having been to some very nice hotels in the past I felt this should be a small step up. But really for me was a large step down

Our room was very small and the carpet had a huge ring from a previous flood or leak

The tv which we planned to relax in front of after our night out was placed so poorly that we almost had to sit on the floor to see it

Our room was advertised as having a king size bed but infant was lucky if it was 4feet wide.

The flush in the toilet did not stop unless you held the handle up for ten seconds

This put me off travelling to stay at the Hilton in London for my trip in April

However not all bad ...

The whole hotel looked immaculately clean and that staff we delt with were very helpful which did help us enjoy our stay

Along with the lovely cookies on entry

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Leemaclaughlab

I’m sorry to read that you did not feel we came up the standard and have passed on your comments to the relevant departments so they may make any improvements required. Thank you for your comments regarding your stay.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I recently stayed at the Doubletree in Dunblane on Sunday and Monday as I had a 5pm voucher. Not only was it great value for money with this voucher, but would have been just as good value at full price. The receptionist staff when check me in were both pleasant and attentive and managed to get me to my room quickly even though it appeared to be extremely busy. The room was beautiful and the food in the restaurant was delicious. Definitely would recommend to anyone and will be going back with friends.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Eve W
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We've just spent 3 nights at the Hilton Dunblane and found the experience to be very much a mixed bag. There are some things that are good but the hotel lets itself down in other areas, sometimes hugely.

We checked in at 5pm - we were on the dinner, bed and breakfast rate - and were asked if we wanted to eat in the restaurant and if so we would need to book. Strangely you could not book at reception, only direct with the restaurant. Upon calling from the room we were told that the first available table was 9pm! No guidance as to a need to book in advance had been given, but we were told that it was 9pm and there was nothing that could be done.

I was unhappy with this, especially with a 32 week pregnant wife and made this point to the restuarant and reception. I was told again that nothing could be done, although my concerns had been passed to the hotel manager.

Clearly the hotel manager wasn't overly concerned because at no stage over the weekend did he see fit to contact me.

We eventually went down for dinner and 9pm and it was nothing short of a disaster. We sat down and ordered drinks and our meal. The drinks took 20 minutes to arrive. My first course - a bowl of soup - took 45 minutes to arrive. I queried how it could take so long to produce a bowl of soup, given it was likely sat in a large pan and required ladling into a bowl, but for whatever reason this took 45 minutes to arrive. When it did come, it was tasty enough but was missing one of the advertised ingredients, so the tomato, borlotti bean and chorizo broth was actually a tomato soup with 4 small chunks of chorizo.

Next was the wait for the main courses which eventually arrive about 10:20. My wifes dish that was supposed to come without potato came with two potato dishes which made the side of mash she ordered a little OTT. My duck dish came with chunks of apple not on the menu and it looked like the missing borlotti beans from my starter had been added.

We were advised it was a new menu and the chef wasn't used to cooking it yet.

The final issue was when upon ordering dessert, we were told that they had run out of the apple tart tatin!

Despite the dreadful experience of the food itself and the time it took to serve, which compounded the issue of having to wait so long for a table in the first place, I would like to praise Jonathan who was exemplary in his service, could not have been more apologetic and even ensured that the chef made a tart tatin from scratch in an effort to rescue the situation. He also assured us that our experience the next night would be very different, which indeed it was.

Other negatives we experienced were the room not being cleaned properly - water and used wine glasses were left unchanged and the toilet was not cleaned properly. There were also trays and glasses left strewn in the corridors for long periods - our own breakfast trays were taken from outside our room and left on the side of some stairs for several hours for example, and we saw many ice buckets with glasses left on tables in the hotel corridors.

Breakfast in bed was served on two trays, with a delay between trays so it was baffling why they would bring up the hot tray first, which then cooled while we waited for the second tray to be brought up - surely the tray of fruit and juices was the more sensible to bring up first, followed by the hot food?

The breakfast on the final day was also poor - the queue went out of the door and into the main corridor, despite many tables being empty they were not being cleaned and only 2 people were showing people to tables. When we eventually sat down after a 20 minute wait, the bacon was underdone, the scrambled eggs had a centimetre of luminous liquid on top of it, there were no plates or bowls available and the restaurant had run out of decaffinated tea. The restaurant could not cope with the number of residents.

The associated spa is also not how you would imagine it - think local leisure centre rather than spa. In addition when trying to book treatments - as with the restaurant no advice around advance booking was given - we were told the whole weekend was taken. So we were unable to book anything or have any treatments while we were there.

Despite these quite significant issues, the dinner on the second and third night was excellent, especially the service from Jonathan (again) and Angus our waiter. The food was tasty, well presented and served in a proper timeframe, and we were able to secure a table at a normal time.

We also found ourselves stuck in Dunblane and with my heavily pregnant wife unable to walk back up the hill, and it not being possible to get a taxi, the hotel sent the concierge down to pick us up - a nice touch and much appreciated.

So all in all it was far from a perfect stay, and this hotel doesn't come up to the standard of other Hilton's in all aspects. However, our stay was largely a pleasant one and the value offered by the dinner, bed and breakfast rate on 3 nights for the price of 2 was good.

If going to this hotel I would advise making sure you book the restaurant well in advance for 19.30, getting a table at this time should ensure you miss the peak where the kitchen starts not to cope, and you will be out in a reasonable time without eating too late. And similarly if you want any treatments at the spa, book them in advance.

We stayed in room 332 which was nice enough, spacious with a nice large bathroom and good shower, in the main body of the hotel but had no views, the window was frosted.

So I'd probably just about recommend the hotel, but be prepared!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KDUK1976
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Having stayed at the Dunblane Hydro (Hilton) a couple of times now, I thought it was time for a review.

Our latest stay was a couple of weeks ago and, once again, expectations were well and truly met! Admittedly, our main reason for visiting this hotel is for the restaurant, but it is always a pleasure to stay in such a comfortable, well organised and beautifully presented hotel.

On arrival, first impressions were very good indeed. Just out of Dunblane, the hotel occupies a hill-top position with well cared for gardens, plenty of parking and a really exclusive feel. Reception was a pleasant experience with a swift and friendly check in accompanied by a couple of warm choc chip cookies.

On arrival at our room (top floor this time) we were met with a most spacious and comfortable abode with a beautiful bathroom, tea and coffee, Cava on ice, big telly with lots of channels and a super view out the front of the building stretching over the grounds, over Dunblane, and out to the mountains beyond. All aspects of the bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean – in fact the only criticism I can think of is that the alarm clock didn’t work. I think the bed may have been a bit smaller that the last room we had, however, it was certainly at least a full size double and very comfortable.

The rest of the hotel lived up to the standard set by our room. The bar was comfortable (got a nice big sofa) and the staff great, the spa and health club well kitted out and the restaurant was, as usual, very good indeed.

After a very peaceful nights sleep, breakfast was a self service buffet affair with all the usual breakfast items on offer… No issue at all, although, my good lady was a bit less impressed than last time – probably because there was a bit less fruit on offer. I have no such reservations… The sausages were smashing.

I do have the odd minor niggle… Firstly, paying (a lot) for Wifi? Bit rough I thought. There might be free Wifi downstairs in the public areas (not sure) but not in the bedrooms. Also – watch the bar bill. Granted I like a drink or two, but it is pretty easy to create yourself substantial financial distress in the bar if you open a tab and charge it to your room without checking the price of anything.

Check out was easy and quick with a pre-prepared bill popped through the room door in the morning giving the option of an express check out. I didn’t order a morning paper, but there were plenty of freebies lying about the hotel which was a nice touch.

All in all, another lovely stay in this top notch hotel. Keep it up Dunblane Hydro… I’ll be back!

Room Tip: I've not had a bad room yet!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan
Stirling Court Hotel
Stirling Court Hotel
#7 of 20 in Stirling

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!