“Fantastic restaurant, average accommodation and spa facilities”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here on business and so had a twin room due to the hotel being very full of meeting delegates. It was small but well appointed but the way the room was set up I felt that every time someone walked down the corridor they were walking right past my head on the pillow! I used the small gym but had to use the swimming pool changing rooms to get changed which were soaking wet (obviously as they are for the swimming pool). It didn't have the feel of a pleasant spa hotel changing room, rather that of your local swimming pool. I wasn't inspired to get up for my early morning swim and opted for a lie in instead the next morning! The restaurant was fantastic, attentive staff (even bordering on too attentive!). Food was delicious and the wine good. Most definitely eat here if you're staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank for your comments, we strive to avoid the word “spa” because of the connotations attached; we realise that our Health Club does not have the same feel. It is nice to know that you had a great time here and you found the staff, food and atmosphere in the Kailyard fantastic!

There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro

Reviewed November 4, 2012

The hotel looks very impressive coming up the drive and the reception/lobby/lounge area is tastefully decorated. The girl that checked us in answered all our questions and advised us to book our meal asap to get a time we wanted. We were booked in for 2 nights DBB. Restuarant staff are flawless, very attentive and nothing was too much trouble. Need to give a big shout out to Natascha, who really made our weekend, arrangeing lifts for us to and from the village so we could go out for a few drinks after dinner.
Our dinner on both nights was delicious. The chicken parfait is very light, and the chips with the steak were tasty real chips. Breakfast was also plentiful with a wide range and food topped up regularly.
Our room was 415 which had a dormer window. Room was slightly small, but nicely decorated, the bathroom by comparison was huge, also beautifully finished. The bed was comfy, and although we had a few issues with the fridge, these were sorted by the apologetic staff.
We used the pool/sauna/steamroom everyday and found them to be clean and not too busy, even with a swimming lesson going on. I had a lovely pedicure on our last day.
Overall we had a wonderful time, the hotel is beautiful, and in a great location, but the staff and their pleasant, friendly and helpful attitudes are what made the stay brilliant. We hope to come back soon!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Freya R
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

It’s delightful to read that your weekend was made brilliant by our staff! Thank you for your feedback, which has been forwarded to all the staff so they know they are getting “it” right.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had left accommodation booking to the last minute and could find nothing in Stirling. Luckily for us, we found Doubletree Dunblane.... It was such a relief to pull up to a well lit, welcoming establishment with lovely staff. We were given comfortable modern rooms with large bathrooms and the morning view out of the window over the fall colours was breathtaking! The dinner offered by the fire in the lounge was tasty and reasonable, and the staff were efficient and friendly throughout. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your high recommendations; it is lovely to read you enjoyed your last minute stay with us. We agree; it is agreeable to cosy up next to the fire on these cold autumn evenings.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Very disappointing overall. This may be listed as four stars but it is not at that standard or anywhere near it.

Remnants of broken glass in hotel corridor, our room not correctly cleaned (not vacuumed under tables). Pool changing areas had broken lockers, womens' loos adjacent to restaurant had broken locks on disabled toilet. Gents loo failed to flush.

Dinner was a comedy of errors; my meal arrived without chips (never brought), wrong drinks, no condiments, salt cellar empty, mustard asked for but never brought, other condiments arrived late. My daughter's meal was incorrectly prepared in spite of specific instructions. No refund offered, waiters young, inexperienced and evasive.

Absolutely appalling - avoid.

Room Tip: Don't book, go elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank wageouris
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Let me start by saying .... I sometimes think that reviewers " miss the whole point of tripadvisor ". I am myself a hotelier and yes - we all seek feedback and comments that will allow us to improve both our operational procedures and enable us to exceed our guests expectations, striving for perfection each and every time.
Sometimes we get it right ... and sometimes we miss the mark , but I think after reading some of the reviewer’s recent comments - clearly nothing would make these guests happy. But I commend you for trying.
Let me share with you all - my recent " Doubletree by Hilton - Dunblane " experience.
I arrived after a very long drive from the Isle of Skye, at around 4pm in the afternoon, a little tired, but excited to be staying here after hearing great things. I was not disappointed! Welcomed with a genuine smile and a famous " Chocolate Chip Cookie " ( OMG ) it was just amazing. The lovely Duty Manager - offered to escort me to my room and pointed out the many features including a spa bath ( very unexpected ) and simply breath-taking views from my hotel room. In life - you need to remember a few simple rules .. “You get what you pay for " ... I recommend paying for a "Guest Room Plus " in the main hotel building. Particularly if it is a special occasion. If you pay for a standard room - let's face it ... that is what you will get.
It was my birthday - the day I arrived and I never mentioned it to the team at the time. Somehow - possibly from my Hilton HHonors profile they knew and placed chocolates and a birthday card for the general manager and the team me in my room. It was a lovely touch - " Thank you all again “. I spent 3 nights here and found the room’s extremely clean and comfortable. Room service was excellent, and the breakfast was the best I experienced on my recent Scottish Holiday. I am now addicted to Cranberry Juice - thanks to you ! The front desk staff requires a special mention, they assisted and recommended things for me to see and do in the surrounding area and on my return to the hotel each evening - they would ask how my day was. Again - very genuine and thoughtful. I had a hire car and there is ample parking at the rear of the main building. If I was to offer any suggestions - it would only be to the day spa / pool team. I walked into the facility on the first evening and was not greeted by anyone, just a sign advising that the pool had been shut – which didn't concern me too much. I did however wish to book some spa treatments - but after standing at the reception for about 5 minutes with no sign of anyone - I decided to walk away and book treatments at a spa in Stirling instead. That would be my only adverse comments - because I will definitely return to Dunblane and stay with you again. The cookies and the service are remarkable.

Room Tip: I recommend paying for a "Guest Room Plus " in the main hotel building. Particularly if it...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Spent 4 nights in the hotel. Overall, the visit was ok, but there were some factors which meant that I could not call it excellent. These were the drabness of the corridors - more like a motel than a classy hotel, the price of food and drinks in the hotel and the absence of free wi-fi. The room was ok but the bathroom was old-fashioned and the television options somewhat restrictive.

On the plus side, the aspect of the hotel was spectacular, the breakfast was very good and the reception/bar areas were pleasant,if a little small for the size of the hotel

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

It is disappointing to read that you didn’t appreciate the décor in the hotel. We do feel that our pricing structure reflects the quality of food offered and relates well to prices charged in similar hotels, but it nice to read that you enjoyed a hearty breakfast to start your day.

Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 29-31 October 2012. Upgraded to the penthouse suite which was fab. Wonderful room with fabulous views. Staff all lovely, very friendly and accomodating.
Room neede a little updating - lick of paint on woodwork and table was scuffed but these were minor things.
The only negative was that the water was not replenished after the first night and glasses were not cleaned.
On the whole great stay, would definitely return and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for your feedback, I’m pleased to read our staff were helpful and friendly. Your comments have been shared with the team and our facilities department will be checking your room to plan any necessary updates you mentioned.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan
Stirling Court Hotel
Stirling Court Hotel
#7 of 20 in Stirling

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!