Doubletree by Hilton Dunblane-Hydro
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Old Churches House Hotel(Dunblane)(Great Value!)
$83
  • Breakfast included
$127
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Hotel(Bridge of Allan)
  • Restaurant
4,285 results
All reviewskailyard restaurantnick nairncookiescocktail barseparate buildingmain buildingfront facingleisure facilitiesjunior suitelovely hotelsteam roomdinner bed and breakfastboth nightsdoubletree by hiltonrelaxing breakself servicebeautiful building
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on the last night of a 5 day stay in Scotland. We were looking for a fancy hotel as we had stayed in relatively simple accomodation the previous nights and thought that the Hilton Dunblane was such a place. We were wrong however. The beautiful grounds and the lofty stairs to the reception are very misleading as they create a illusion of grandeur. The receptionist was extremely nice and polite however things went down hill from there. The side corridors to our home were dingy and unclean. When we entered our home we found the furnishings to be extremely tired and worn. Our specifically requested Double bed was in fact 2 singles joined together. When I complained to reception and said that I was happy to pay extra for better rooms I was told there were none available. We decided to grin and bear it and went for dinner. The restaurant was full so we went to the lounge. Our mains were fine but arrived after a hour! We were given a complimentary drink as a result. I then ordered a apple tartlet for desert but it was burnt! I have eaten in a lot of places but never encountered such poor service. To be fair to the waiting staff our food bill was cancelled as a consequence of this but I would have rathered to have had my food! Overall a very diss appointing experience and certainly not becoming of the Hilton hotel chain....

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Joe O
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

I am sorry to read that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion. Thank you for highlighting these points to us so we may focus on these areas and improve our service.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

On day of our arrival, I was very impressed by the beautiful surroundings of the hotel. The front desk staff were extremely polite especially the two attractive young receptionists. They made our stay a delight. The young blonde receptionist was very friendly and immediately summoned an evening housekeeper to carry our bags and help us to our room as the reception was very busy at the time we arrived. Unfortunately when we arrived at our room it was not over clean. The bed sheets were a bit grubby and we were disappointed as it was our anniversary. The young housekeeping girl apologized and immediately changed the sheets on the bed and gave the whole room and bathroom a spruce up (even shined up the bathroom taps!!). 15 minutes later the same girl provided us with lovely complementary chocolates and wine. What could have been a ruined stay turned out to be delightful thanks to the wonderful staff! Also the decor and interior could do with updating but in the end it was a very pleasant stay. Would stay again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read that you had a fantastic stay and found the staff “make” the hotel and your stay an enjoyable break. It is a pleasure to read positive feedback.

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed for two nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The price we paid was good value overall.

We thought the hotel was in a lovely setting and the exterior was very impressive. Our room was fine but very small. I think some might find it a tight squeeze. Completely adequate though especially considering what we paid.

I have seen some poor reviews of the gym/swimming pool. I thought it was absolutely fine and fitted our purposes.

Our first night the service wasn't great. We waited around 20 minutes at the bar before someone took our order. They had run out of a few things we asked for and some of the staff just stood about ignoring customers. It was very so so.

The second night the service was fantastic and we couldn't have faulted anything, I think the previous night must have just been very busy.

More than two nights would have been too long as there isn't a huge amount to do but overall it was an enjoyable break.

• Stayed: October 2012

The hotel was built in the late 19th century and despite many refurbishments it has not been possible to change the size or configurations of the rooms, giving us a range of rooms of varying styles and sizes. All in all, you had an enjoyable break, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Checked in at 4pm and discovered enhanced stay package (champagne, chocolates, card, dressing gown and slippers) was not laid on in the room for my mothers 65th birthday, I had to chase this up on several occasions and it was never complete even at end of our stay. Very disappointed.
Reservation payment was inaccurate - I paid in full before arrival and was told I had underpaid. Had to email my confirmation and bank payment details to support this at 11pm at night to night manager.
Dinner on both nights was a complete nightmare - average wait time an hour plus. Served prosecco to compensate. Ensured the next night dining would be improved (for mothers 65th birthday) - was worse. Three wrong meals served, hour wait again between courses, complimentary prosecco served (one glass) complained to duty manager who was unhelpful. I am pregnant and on mediation and in the end had to eat chips! Absolute disgrace with staff not knowing correct order, checking with kitchen and not relaying information back to our table, passing off salad cream as houmous. Not the dining experience we signed up for, complete let down.
Staff seeming unaware of our situation and disappointment and not accepting any genuine concern for our situation, no accountability from anyone.
Check out was awful - we had to 'barter' and 'haggle' for a discount of our meals as dining was inadequate. Couldn't speak to duty manager directly and staff from previous night were not on shift so previous requests were not honoured. All this in front of our mother who was upset about the whole stay as it was a fiasco from start to finish.
Eventually our refund was given as a gesture of 'goodwill' which I found laughable. As we departed a number of very unhappy guests were queuing to check out and had the same fight on their hands, one woman quoted 'it's our turn to haggle now.' Another family with young sons never received their meals until 10.30pm and had dessert sent to their room, another male guest had his complimentary glass of prosecco poured all over him as he waited for his overdue dinner. How ironic!
The hotel then had the cheek to send a generic email asking to complete a survey on the service we received. Gladly!
So we received a warm cookie on arrival - that's the least of their worries!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CRH1604

I am very disappointed and frustrated to read your feedback, along with your sisters’ below. It is quite clear that our standard excellent customer service was not in place whilst you were here. We are investigating why so many things went wrong for you, and would like to extend, once again, our most sincere apologies. We not only failed to provide the level of service which we try to offer at all times but did not take the opportunity we had to ensure that your complaints were acted upon while you were still here.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My sister and I booked a couple of nights in this hotel as a special birthday treat for my mum as it was a special birthday. My mum looked so forward to it, but sadly she was literally in tears by the time we left. We carefully selected the hotel as it looked stunning online and I travelled over 200 miles to get there. The location of the hotel is stunning, but the level of service was appalling. I ordered chocolates, robes, slippers and a birthday card for the room on arrival for my mum, and I'm still waiting on the chocolates and slippers and only received the card the next day after hastening. We waited over an hour for each course at dinner on the first night and were promised we'd be better looked after the second night. Not a chance! It was shocking. We waited 10 mins to be shown to a table and again waited over an hour per course. My sister who was pregnant was served the wrong meal 3 times in a row and in the end gave up and ate only some chips. We spoke to the duty manager at least 3 times and to top it off the reception said we hadn't paid the right amount for our bill, when we had already paid the full amount in advance of our stay. She was still sorting this out at 11pm having to show bank statements and show emails to confirm. We then had to explain it all again at reception on checkout. By this time my mum was in tears. Some birthday treat. My mum will never get her birthday back and we are all so gutted. Never again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MummyDScotland

We are really disappointed to read about the lack of basic standards of customer care you and your family experienced. As I have said also to your sister above, this incident is being fully investigated. We strive for excellence in customer service and it does seem to have slipped on this occasion. Please accept our sincere apologies for these shortcomings.