“Substandard”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
edinburgh
“Substandard”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband, daughter and I recently stayed here for one night. There were some aspects of the hotel that were very good, namely the beautiful exterior and grounds, as well as the decor in the public rooms. The warm cookie on arrival was also a lovely touch.

However, there were a various aspects of the hotel that were extremely disappointing for a 4 star Hilton hotel:-

Extremely rushed check in with room directions provided at top speed. I had to go back to the desk and ask for the directions to be given again.

We were located in a modern annexe at the rear of the hotel. This annexe was in stark contrast to the front of the building and resembled a travel lodge. The corridor leading to our room had not been vacuumed for some time and there was wallpaper peeling off the walls. The room itself had stains on the carpet and we were unable to close the windows which meant we were freezing cold all night.

The service in the bar was reasonable friendly, however, the food was mediocre at best. I ordered fish and chips at £14.95 which was served straight from the freezer with a garnish of wilting lettuce. I would have expected something of a better quality at this price, perhaps fresh fish or at least hand cut chips.

The leisure facility was in need of an overhaul with rusting pipework on the ceiling, mouldy shower curtains and several tiles missing on the floor of the changing rooms and in the steam room. A health hazard and not what I expected from this hotel.

Finally, the service at breakfast was extremely poor. The host was on the phone for several minutes when we arrived and did not make any attempt to acknowledge us. Once seated, there were lots of staff clearing tables but not a single one noticed that we had arrived and offered us tea and coffee. We waited and waited for around 15 minutes so eventually I had to go and ask for us to be served. We did not feel welcome at all. The staff are in desperate need of customer service training.

So it you are looking for good service, good food and a nice hotel room, my advice is to book somewhere else! You won't find it here.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank baxterelliot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Scotland
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel itself is nice...the entrance is grand! I've been here before with work for a Conference. It looked nice and the food was good so this swayed me to book to come and stay here with my husband.

The decor in the hotel is pretty tired in places, especially the Stirling wing where we were staying. That said, the reception area, restuarant and bar are all nice.

We didn't eat dinner here as we wanted to go for a wander on the first night. Found a lovely bar in the village called The Village Inn. Great food at reasonable prices! We did use the bar in the hotel. It was nice...cocktails were good. Bill was around £24 for 2 cocktails, 1 pint and a Southern Comfort. Breakfast was great - probably the best thing about the hotel.

We were however let down by the room. It was quite small (although we could have lived with that) and had the most uncomfortable bed i have ever slept in. It was full of springs and quite hard. I was up about 3 times during the night and couldn't get comfortbale. Even my husband (who is very laid back and not fussy in the least!) complained about it.

As we were there for 2 nights, after the first night I complained that the bed was so uncomfortable. The receptionist offered us another room - a few doors down- and took us to the room. The bed wasn't any better. She even said she wouldnt be able to sleep on it herself! I was then told she would get someone to come along and put a matress topper on the bed. A young boy came along, took sheets etc off only to find there was already a mattress topper on the bed! He put another one on, and a duvet underneath. So we were to be sleeping on top of two matress toppers and one duvet. Not what you expect at a Hilton!!!

We went away for the day to Braehead and came back really looking for a relaxing night in the room. Well it wasn't to be. Bed was still uncomfortable and I spoke to reception again. I was then given a key to another room to check myself. I went and checked it but again the bed didn't feel any different so opted to stay where we were rather than trek ourselves and belongings through hotel, past bar etc.

I spoke to the manager on leaving. He was pleasant enough and noted our complaints. I have a feeling it is not the first time he has heard this complaint. He told us all the beds on the wing have toppers...time for replacement I think! We were offered £50 compensation, which was to be refunded on my card but I haven't seen this refund as yet!

In summary, some good points but overall it was a let down due to the uncomfortbale bed. I wont be going back! Try the Crieff Hydro instead...far superior!

2 Thank Chez_Salou

Travelers are raving about these Dunblane hotels

Auburn, California
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We only stayed here 1 night. While you get a real wow factor when you pull up to the hotel, be aware of where you are put. We were defintely not in the old hotel side. We were in the back and I mean very back of the hotel that must of been redone a few years ago. And our room was at the very end of the of the hallway.

The room was clean and ok but for the price we paid I would of expected a little more light and airy room. Everyone at the front desk was nice and the morning breakfast was very typical English breakfast.

1 Thank Liz S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Parking is poorly signed and very limited when the hotel is busy. I ended up parking down beside the swimming pool (signed as permit only and 2hrs maximum). Others ended up on double yellow lines
Checking in was quick, quick to the extent of feeling rushed. The directions to our room were cursory and given without checking we knew where to go. There was no offer of help with our bags.

The bedroom was fine, the bed large and comfortable, but did totally dominate the room so there was hardly any space to move round it, place cases etc. There was a good choice of TV channels. The bathroom was clean and modern, but the toilet flush was a bit tempramental. No soap provided.

The hotel guide was obviously written in the USA and refers to avoiding the elevator in case of fire, surely we could expect a Scottish Hotel write in the local language

Our Friday night meal was very tasty. But as noted elsewhere, service was incredibly slow, especially the bar service. This despite the restaurant not being full. The staff very pleasant and keen to please and I suspect the sluggish service was more due to the lack of numbers rather than a lack of effort

Breakfast both mornings was standard large hotel , help yourself. Again the staff were polite, welcoming and keen to help. The cooked breakfast was stacked high with food that would barely qualify as lukewarm, it was certainly not hot. This was a very poor effort for any large hotel and the Hydro should hang it's head in shame if this is the best they can do.

Lunch on both days was as appalling as breakfast, cooked food that was barely warm, reheated soup from the night before, Lamb on Sunday was more suited to being used as a rubber toy for my dog than eaten, but looked more edible than the overcooked fish

The room was eventually "serviced" after 3pm on the Saturday. It certainly hadn't been cleaned. Though the two young men from housekeeping seemed to be enjoying their day's work. i doubt that many of their customers would have been impressed with their efforts

Saturday dinner would be passable for a 3 star hotel but for a hotel boasting Nick Nairn's name it was disappointing. Certainly it would not have left the kitchen at Breval when the man himself actually cooked food.

The cocktail bar staff, were again friendly, keen to please but seemingly unable to cope for large periods, resulting in long queues to get served. Watch out for the soft drink prices, £2.20 for a small glass of lemonade from the tap, bottles were £2.80

Check out was quick and painless, the best part of the weekend, leaving.

In summary, I may have expected too much. But I assumed from the image and the prices that the Doubletree Hilton was a premier brand not trying to challenge Premier Inn. Sadly a challenge they would probably lose

2 Thank gpwestern
Manchester
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel is an absolute disgrace, not enough parking and when we order at the bar we were told not to sit in a particular area, when we asked where we could sit we were not given an option.

When ordering your food the starter was never delivered following at least 1 hour.

We paid in excess of £1100 for a 6 night stay, better off in the local Travel Lodge at least they treat you like humans..

I am unable to express anything nice regarding this place.

BE VERY MUCH AWARE.

1 Thank haymaking
Kent
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel two years ago for our honeymoon and it was lovely. We went back for a little anniversary trip, and we were totally disappointed.
We were put in a room where wires had been just cut off and were hanging out of the wall . The toilet would not flush, they did send someone to fix this and they told us the arm was too short and we would have to do a particular manoeuvre to get it to flush, the sink would not drain - again they did send someone and it emptied a couple of times after there visit and then reverted back to not draining.
The room and corridor was not clean.
I was totally shocked by the difference.

2 Thank Mileage-Queen
Falkirk
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night whilst attending a charity ball. The ball itself was excellent and the organisers should feel very proud of themselves. It's a shame this hotel could not deliver the same experience.

The car parking was appalling with cars basically abandoned at various places. We found our way to the rear car park where there is no signage to direct you to reception. Once in the building, the signage is still terrible and my husband walked past, not realising the tiny desk (with no-one there) was actually the reception.

We stayed in the Stirling wing and the communal areas are extremely shabby, desperately in need of decoration and repair. The decor in the wing is very dated, which would not be a problem if they were at least cleaned and maintained. The corridors and lifts had not been hoovered for a considerable amount of time - think weeks/months rather than days. Most of the room doors had peeling paint and the carpet was threadbare in places.

We had upgraded ourselves to a junior suite - and it was just as well, others staying had booked "standard double" and were in rooms with only a small double bed, which my 6ft4 husband and I could not have shared. In pretty much every hotel we have stayed in a "double" room gets you at least a king sized bed. Our room was clean(ish) but again suffered from poor maintenance with mould on the grouting and stains on the floors and walls.

During the event, the service was painfully slow, both in the dining room and in the bar.

Thankfully because of the event we attended, we had a fabulous time. However, if we had booked this hotel for a weekend stay we would be very sorely disappointed.

The Dunblane Hydro has a great name, which I believe the management are trading (and depending) on to bring in customers. It is a fantastic building in a convenient location, but the Hilton Brand is sorely let down by this property. It needs much investment to bring it back up to the flagship it once was.

I will never again recommend this property.

Room Tip: If you absolutely must stay here, check with the hotel what type of bed you are going to get.
1 Thank Foogirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan
Airth Castle & Hotel

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!