“Touching the mini -bar can be Expensive.”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Touching the mini -bar can be Expensive.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Just visited this place this month with my hubby. When we arrived , my first impression was, the place is good. It looks really nice from outside, the view looking to Dunblane town was fantastic.

When we came in , had to discuss about our 2 different bookings as we had 1 first night normal room rate and the second booking was the " Autumn -Winter offer ". It was ok, went to our room, on the way to our room, there were few wine glasses just on the carpet under the stairs. When we came out after 4 hours , the glasses were still there.

On the next day, we went out for a little tour in the area. When we came back , we can't get in. Our key was not working.
The mini-bar was locked. Hubby complain about it and somebody came to open it. But they didn't told outs that everytime u have to hold and lift item from the bar. Will automatically be charged on your bill.

In short story, when we had our total bill, there were so mane billings from the mini-bar as hubby kept on looking what's in there. The billing was dreadful , no discounts for the dinner offer and we have to keep on counting our bills while we're having our breakfast.

On third day when we came out,our door key was not working again, we need to complain again about it.
Also, in our second night for dinner, the steak was really tough , fatty and just not nice. It ruined my night as my gums started aching chewing the steak.

But the staff were so friendly.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We last stayed in this hotel about 10 years ago and found it downright aweful.
What a transformation the decor and room are really good as was the dining areas.
The staff are generally very helpful and following a slight disagreement with a single member of staff it was rectified promptly and we werecompensated very nicely with a complementary bottle of wine in our room straightaway. Its not alwats the problems but how they are handled that matters.
Dinner and breakfast very good especially the late breakfast up to eleven o'clock.....how civilised.
Would certainly consider returning here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

After our recent stay at Dunblane Hydro my friends and I are appalled at the treatment and service we received. I have stayed in the Hydro before and was extremely happy and that is why we returned as a group of hard working girls and Mums to enjoy a spa weekend. The food and service of the restaurant staff was excellent and the ONLY good thing that I have to say. A member of the bar staff put the flat of his hand inches from my face after he was extremely grumpy and rude to myself and my friends. A manager was unable to resolve the issue that night and I then had to wait for 45 minutes the next day to speak to yet another manager....who was polite & professional. Our rooms were not cleaned from the Friday that we arrived till the Sunday when we left, yes we did get fresh towels but were left using the same cups all weekend with no top up of tea or coffee...one of our rooms had no hot water on the Saturday, the rooms are not air conditioned but we all had fans which most of us couldn't use as they were so noisy. The hotel is beautiful and I'm so bitterly disappointed at our experience...one black blazer one pair of hair straighteners and a full bag of expensive chocolates and snacks were all stolen from my room. My friends Porsche which was parked at the front of the hotel was damaged, the wheel nuts stolen from all FOUR wheels and the passenger window was slightly ajar! The hotel are taking NO responsibility for any of the thefts or damages and I have emailed & called the hotel more than once and received nothing back! Not even a acknowledgement of the communication. The Police are now involved. The hotel seemed to lack any managerial skills, letting huge wedding party women eat in the dining room at breakfast with their pyjamas on! When I commented on this to a waitress she shrugged her shoulders said that it HAD been noticed but she wouldn't be the one to approach the table! Our corridor desperately needed hoovered and wasn't done for the whole time we were there (other customers commented on this too) our rooms hadn't been cleaned before our arrival and we all (5 rooms) each wrote our names in the dust and took photos to prove how bad it was? Again this was sent to the hotel and again we have and no acknowledgement...we are all professional women (owning our own businesses and working offshore on the oil rigs) we spent a considerable amount of money on 2 nights accommodation, Spa packages, wine on the table both nights and of course cocktails....yet we were treated like second class citizens....PLEASE, PLEASE IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO USE THIS HOTEL DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PERSONAL BELONGINGS IN THE ROOM. LOCK SUITCASES ETC...MY THINGS WERE STOLEN FROM MY SUITCASE! DO NOT LEAVE EXPENSIVE PERFUMES OR AFTERSHAVES OUT IN THE ROOM OR BATHROOM.

Room Tip: The best room would most certainly be in another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Susan I
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
I have already sent you a personal e-mail in response, and whilst I understand your frustration and disappointment, some of your remarks here could be viewed as libellous and your last email was most definitely of a threatening manner.

I would like to note that in your email you had many good points for us; and I quote “Dinner on both nights was exquisite, service was beautiful, elegant; extremely professional and the staff charming….” And “… the manager arranged a private area for us to enjoy our drinks…” and “… bar staff were friendly, fun and courteous” and yet another “… the receptionist was most helpful and understanding…”

In view of your comments above; I am somewhat perplexed at the ferocity of your statements and I leave the readers to make their own conclusion

Travelers are raving about these Dunblane hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Having booked a room for a special occasion with my boyfriend we were bitterly disappointed! The first room we were given on check-in was a twin room instead of a double that we had booked. On speaking with reception they then moved us to a double room. On entering the room we noticed an awful odour that can only be described as fish. The windows were screwed shut and unable to open. On contacting reception they sent housekeeping to the room with an air freshener however as soon as the staff member entered the room he too could smell the odour and contacted reception straight away. We were given another room, however we were again disappointed. On pulling back the bed covers there was black stains which appeared to be black ink all over the duvet and sheet, as it was dry it had clearly been there a long time. On contacting reception yet again they sent a member of housekeeping to the room and changed the duvet and sheet. My boyfriend completed their online contact us page informing them of all of the above and I have written a formal letter of complaint to the general manager. My boyfriend did eventually receive an email offering us a free upgrade valid for 6 months, however to me this is unacceptable as we will have to purchase another room to make use of this. I have not even had a reply from my letter. The stay at the hotel was bad enough but for the general manager to not even reply in writing to a formal letter of complaint is appalling.
Huge disappointment and will not be staying again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MissR0ss
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Its the old Stakis Hotel quite an impressive setting as you drive in nd check in was efficient and generally the staff were very pleasant the rooms were quite all right bright and reasonable sized heating in room is a bit iffy but OK. The corridors are in desperate need of refurb very tatty and dated my initial impression was if the rooms are as poor Im off but fortunately not.
The other bug bear is the split levels of the floors more ups & downs than the Cairngorms feel very sorry for anyone disabled or on walking sticks lifts miles from reception, breakfast average buffet style, eggs both mornings lukewarm evening meal was quite good though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank wirral69
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed in the sterling wing of the hotel and our room was a standard double it was very nice and clean. Our toilet stopped working a few hours into our stay so we reported it to reception and were moved to a room next door right away.

The restaurant was fantastic, a little pricey but definitely worth it. Excellent service and relaxed atmosphere.

We would definitely go back to the hotel, well worth it

• Stayed September 2012
Knightdale, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We selected this Hilton property based partially on the location and the gorgeous setting, greatly disappointed. Room was not right, had to trot down to front desk again. Finally got to the proper room. Little throw pillow on the bed that reads "Sweet Dreams" was stained with what looked like blood. Tossed it aside, was back on the bed after the next maid service. Second day service housekeeping did not replenish any bathroom supplies; soap, shampoo, body wash, hand towels, etc. Bed was TERRIBLE. One of the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. King size bed was literally 2 twins pushed together, no box spring at all.
Parking was a mess! There was some event going on and we had to park at another business' parking lot. Front desk didn't seemed too concerned that the hotel guests were getting very inconvenienced on the parking.

Restaurant was good. Staff there were very friendly and helpful. They did run out of a couple dishes and desserts before we go there but it was 9:30 at night.

The restaurant rating was not enough to bring this property to an "average" I stay in aprox 60-70 hotels a year, mostly Hilton properties and this location I grade as perhaps the 3rd worst property I've stayed in this year.

Will definitely not stay at this location in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Airth Castle & Hotel

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!