“Comfy, clean and convenient”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Derby, United Kingdom
“Comfy, clean and convenient”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

We used the hydro for a business trip & it was a nice base to work from. Close to Glen Finglas where we were working, it has a great setting.

My bedroom was clean and comfy with nice touches such as the Crabtree & Evelyn goodies in the bathroom and of course the double tree warm cookie. Sadly, not everyone in the party had the same experience. A dirty bathroom had to be dealt with and windows were difficult to shut - but both were dealt with efficiently.

Staff were very helpful and friendly, accommodating us with meeting spaces within their bar area and supplying us with good tea & coffee. The service in the restaurant was also excellent with 'Edward' looking after us a treat.

Breakfast had a wide choice with something for everyone and the restaurant kindly prepared a special menu for an individual with specific dietry requirements because we phoned ahead.

Over all a good stay - but not 'wow' enough to be ranked very good - more a good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MrFlinty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Had a Girly overnight took advantage of the wonderful pamper break offer excellent value for money. Seems picky but twin room for an overnight 2 tea bags! Staff in cocktail bar were very friendly food and cocktails were excellent. Massage very relaxing and spa staff very friendly. Evening meal was supposed to be smart casual people wore shorts and t shirts not smart or casual. Evening meal first and second course outstanding disappointed with pudding and staff seemed inexperienced. Overall had a great overnight would def recommend and def go back

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Macpoo
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed here as part of my cousin's wedding weekend. The reception was held here as well as a large meal the night before the wedding. The hotel and staff dealt well with the large party.

One compaint however, is that despite calling in advance and being promised a ground floor room, my blind and not very mobile nana was put on the first floor. The corridors were narrow and windy which made steering her to and from the room a bit of an ordeal. It's also quite difficult to navigate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Gulfport, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Unfortunately I didn't get to stay at the Dunblane-Hydro but many of my friends have and one very good friend is having his wedding reception there this weekend. My wife and I were to attend and spend the night. I'm writing this review to praise the central restevations desk in the USA and to praise the staff and management at the hotel itself for their understanding of the plight I'm in in the USA. I lve in Gulfport, Mississippi and have sustained damage by Hurricane Isaac. I want to thank them for cancelling my reservation without penalty. My room was supposed to be none-refundable, but I will not be charged. I will make it there one day. All my friends have nothing but very good things to say about the hotel and say it is excellent.THIS REVIEW IS ALSO ON THEIR BEHALF. Thanks again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank bibio952
Nellysford, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here on our way north. The corridor was a little scruffy but the room was clean and the bed comfortable. Helpful receptionist at check in. A little expensive compared to other hotels and B&B in the area but facilities are the best in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PETER G
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Photos look amazing on line, have to admit the scenery is nice and the approach to the hotel is immpressive but that is where it stops. This hotel caters mainly for weddings so management know they are not going to get many complaints from wedding guests checking in because basically you want to get a room to dispose of your overnight luggage and join the wedding party as soon as possible. I did not check my room on arrival as I left my husband to drop off the luggage. When I eventually went to the room I was gobsmacked. I opened the wardrobe door to find a desk fan ( this was the air conditioning) and to add insult to injury I couldnt sleep for the noise from the extraction fan outside the window from the kitchen. Having stayed at the Aberdeen doubletree I assumed all rooms would be the same, what a shock . In all fairness the bedding was clean, everything else is in need of upgrade. This was supposed to be a deluxe room, I would not like to see the basic. Most of the guests at breakfast did not know that there was tea and coffee in the room. Normal rooms have this on show but not the Dunblane Hydro they choose to hide it in a cupboard. Thankfully I was only a wedding guest looking for a bed to sleep in for 1 night but boy what a rip off.

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank izzie413

Travelers are raving about these Dunblane hotels

Stirling
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed in the hotel for a couple nights on and off over the last few months. Just like to share my experiences. Theres lots of nice things about the place but its the negatives that stand out. I tend not to write on these things, however after contacting the hotel the feedback i was given wasnt overly keen on even taking the issues on board.

1. On three occasions now in 2 different wings we have had no hot water. The first time we called reception who told us to run it for 30 mins. No effect. We lived with it. On the second we got the same but persisted and got a room move to the Stirling wing where the water was lovely and hot. the 3rd we got the same, and 2 further room moves until we got hot water. Over a period of 6 months and multiple rooms on multiple floors.
Mentioning to this to them, they took it in their stride saying sorry about that and they would look into it.

2. Billing - 2/3 of the trips we have received billing for things being used in the mini bar. On the firs occasion we did try to open it however it was locked. Reception appear to be dealing with this on a regular basis. Its not quite a stressless stay if extra bills are slipped under your door whilst you sleep.

3. Internet is insane prices with £15 per day. The other hotels in the area are offering free basic access. On use of the internet i got speeds of around 0.5mb, pretty bad when you consider theres 3g access on mobile. Faster and more reliable tethering your phone.
Spoke to them about this as well, its apparently due to the fact they are using a home broadband line for the whole hotel and haven't invested in any infrastructure. Pretty bad if your like me you require remote access to your office.

4. Staff were arguing with my partner that there were plenty out for breakfast, only conceding when they were asked to come over and see there was nothing left.

Sorry for being so negative, just annoyed by the letter of response i received. If your not willing to be positive and try and improve the hotel then bad on you.

Room Tip: The Stirling wing has always worked however its not the newest.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank theekls
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Airth Castle & Hotel

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!