“An excellent 48hours”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“An excellent 48hours”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My partner surprised me by booking a holiday at Dunblane Hydro for my Birthday.

The hotel is set in a beautiful location. The reception staff were very friendly and attentive. On entering our room we were pleased to discover that it was very tastefully decorated and the bed linen etc., was of a high quality. We were on the ground floor and looked out onto lovely shrubs that were in full bloom.

During our time in the cocktail bar we enjoyed the ambience of the room and the staff were friendly and efficient.

We dined in the Kailyard. We had both breakfast and dinner during our visits. We found the food to be of the best quality and most enjoyable. Again the staff were very attentive and helpful.

We used the leisure facilities and although the swimming pool was small it was adequate. The sauna and steam room were within easy reach of the pool. There were only four relaxers and these could do with updating. We did not use the gym so we cannot comment.

The only negative points about the hotel are - that there were always laundry cleaning trolleys in the bedroom corridors all day. A tray, with used dishes lay on the floor outside a bedroom door for 12 hours and was still there when we left.

Room Tip: suggest new wing because it is much quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank annefraser77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

First impressions of this hotel were stunning. What a setting....the grounds, the building were wonderful.

The corridor to our room was in need of a make-over, very tired looking. The room was fine, even though we overlooked a car park. The shower was intermittent and the extractor didnt work, so after having a hot-warm-cold shower the bathroom was full of condensation.
My main complaint was the the toiletries were never replenished in the 3 nights we stayed there.
Having said that, the hotel was very busy, conferences and weddings. The staff were obviously very busy, but still friendly and helpful.
The Kailyard Restaurant was BRILLIANT, what fabulous food and service. Totally compensated for the minor grumbles of the room.
So would we go back - yes......

Room Tip: This is a large hotel, with a car park on 2 sides. Therefore most of the rooms overlook a car park...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed on Monday June 4th as Jubilee holiday treat (mum, dad and daughter). No bed for our daughter on arrival - not initially concerned, simply phoned reception where we were reassured it was on it's way. Explored hotel to find piano lounge was booked that evening for a private function so a bit disappointed but fair enough. Later in the evening noted sign saying swimming pool closed due to a guest incident so again disappointed we wouldn't have use of pool facilities either (not hotel's fault but still a disappointment). Decided to enquire about in-house movies instead as per leaflet only to discover these were not available either - Wondered what was available! Finally decided just to go to bed - returned to room 10.00pm but still no bed for daughter. Phoned reception where they apologised and said they would get back to us in a minute. 30 mins later we were phoned to say they had ran out of spare beds. They did offer us an extra room but my daughter is only young and didn't want this so they told us we would need to wait another 30-40 mins whilst they located a bed. In the meantime, sat at desk in room and flipped through hotel leaflets - discovered these were in the main ripped and grubby. Mirror at desk was thick with dust and notepad had just one page left. Went to have a look in mini bar for possible night cap but it wouldn't open. When they phoned to say bed was on it's way I reported observations. Duty Manager had a look for herself, acknowleged our concerns and offered us each a free drink which we appreciated though it was now after 11.00pm and we were tired. On retiring to bed discovered pillowcase was on inside out and there was a large hole in the duvet cover. All in all very poor. I don't usually complain about hotels but this became a joke with one issue after another and a 6 hr wait for a bed. In fairness however, we did not make a big fuss and the staff were still helpful at trying to resolve the situation. Our room was pleasant in the main - very small and a bit stuffy but nicely furnished and quite fine for a standard room. Opening the windows cooled the room sufficiently for a good night's sleep. The ensuite was actually very roomy in comparison and of a high standard all round. Breakfast was fine, check out was smooth and the pool re-opened later Tuesday afternoon so although we had checked out we had the swim we had promised our daughter before heading home. It is about making the most of a situation even if you have been let down, otherwise it is one big disappointment and we didn't want that.The hotel offered that we return again free of charge so you can't really get fairer than that but I'll have to reserve increasing my rating until I see Dunblane Hydro in a better light.

Room Tip: Check it has all the beds you need .
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank sunandseaUk

Travelers are raving about these Dunblane hotels

Reviewed June 6, 2012

This hotel is beautiful to look at. I fell in love with the building when I arrived and the staff at reception were very friendly. I was a bit disappointed when I got to my room, as I was expecting something more spacious for the price we paid, and the grand building that greeted us on arrival. The room was clean but really warm througout the night which made our sleep rather uncomfortable.

The spa was nice but would have been better if the hot tub was actually hot.

We decided to check out early after getting bored and didn't want to spend anymore time in a hot bed room or a cold hot tub. They only charged us for the time we stayed there which I thought was really nice of them. I would definately recommend the breakfast as this was fantastic and reasonably priced.

I would recommend the hotel to someone on business who is just looking for somewhere to stay for a night, but if you are after a weekend away or a nice break this is not the place for you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nads108
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2012

A short visit for two nights away on business. I was allocated a room in a purpose built wing, room 300 and something, overlooking a car park and not in the adjoining older part of the hotel. This was not a problem but as I walked to my room, up some stairs, in the corridors I noticed loads of empty trays and dirty glasses outside numerous rooms. The wallpaper was lifting in corners and the edges of the carpet looked as if they needed a thorough vacuuming.
My room was functional. No air con, a cooling tower was provided which rattled away .
A good selection at breakfast. Grounds and main building public areas, very impressive.
I did not have a chance to visit the restaurant or gym so cannot comment.
All in all, a fair price for what I paid but certain areas let the hotel down.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ShiresUK
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, which is vital for us to review the level of service and facilities we provide, so as to make any improvements required. Your comments have been shared with the hotel team and we hope next time you visit, you will have time to enjoy both the restaurant and the gym.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2012

After our last stay we were really looking forward to going back.

This time it was a disaster from the start, staff who didnt listen, staff who didnt care and staff that tried to bill me for things that were included in my room rate are just the basics.

Wont be back! Indeed I may even cut up my hHonours card after the way we were treated.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PZERO6000
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I recently spent one night at this property whilst attending a large function in the hotel.

It's a number of years since I last visited, and I note that considerable investment has been made in the public areas, which makes a great difference to my previous experience.

However, this investment has not gone as far as the lifts (1 incredibly slow and small lift serves the entire hotel); the rooms - on a warm Scottish day there was no aircon in rooms; and in bedroom areas - corridors etc.

Pros - gorgeous setting; good staff front of house during our meetings and the drinks reception which was held outside - quite novel for Scotland!! Lovely warm cookie at check-in for all guests..

Cons - some of the slowest function dinner service I've experienced! The food would have been good - however the majority of my table received it when it was cold! I timed the arrival of main courses - the top table were served 30 minutes before the table I was on (in the center of the room.) This was simply down to a sheer lack of staff and planning. Others can service at least 200 more diners (we were 375) in much less time - Mr Nairn......something needs looking at in your front of house team planning!

Also, check-out took ages for many - a small desk with 3 receptionists is just not sufficient for a hotel this size!

Breakfast was just ok - nothing special, nothing wow!

This property has opportunities to be very good, but if guest memories are just about waiting, and waiting, and waiting....then this will not encourage repeat business.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Littlejohn
Thank you for your observations and opinions. I have passed them on to our management team; as it will help us improve us our service. It is rare we offer welcome drinks outdoors, as neither the weather or temperature are generally suited to this – so glad you enjoyed it! I am sorry to read that service was slow for your function and will use your comments to review our processes.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Airth Castle & Hotel

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!