“Lovely location”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Commanding a fantastic view of Dunblane from the top of a hill, this is a wonderful hotel to visit. In through the front door and up a flight of stairs to reception where I was warmly greeted, and along with my bedroom key was presented with a large chocolate cookie. This was a first for me, having visited hundreds of hotels over the years.

The corridor leading to my bedroom on the next floor up was clean, light and well decorated. Unlike some of the previous reviews I didn't see any scruffy dark corridors. My bedroom was a twin. Again well decorated and comfortable. It was a little cool since the window had been left open, but with the window shut and the radiator turned on it quickly warmed up.

There was an ironing board in the wardrobe, which I find essential after a long journey, and plenty of room to put it out. There was mineral water in the bedroom, however this was not free, which was one of the few negatives I can come up with.

In the bathroom, it was spotlessly clean. The grouting on the floor tiles around the bath was slightly damaged, and the lights above the sink didn't work but these were trivial compared to the overall high quality of the bathroom finish and cleanliness. I couldn't find any way of heating the bathroom, there was a power switch on the wall outside the bathroom door but this didn't seem to do anything, so I had to make do with a cold bathroom.

There was no dressing gown or slippers, which I would have expected in a hotel of this quality, but the bed was very comfortable, and there was a choice of pillow types.

I ate in the bar, as it was late when I arrived, and the pasta was absolutely superb! Cooked to perfection with a creamy but flavoursome sauce. Breakfast was varied and again of a high quality. There was a full continental breakfast with a Scottish self-service cooked buffet. The sausages were surprisingly cheap and greasy however the bacon more than made up for it.

The bar and restaurant staff were all friendly, and the service was good.

Looking for a special weekend away, or a high quality business venue then this is the place.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank spc1
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

I enjoyed reading your very comprehensive review of the hotel following your first visit to us and do hope that it will not be your last! I was pleased to read that you did not find the remarks of other reviewers justified about the internal décor and that you had such a warm welcome and were well looked after. Your comments about the spotlessly clean room and the superb pasta you had in the bar after your late arrival have been passed on to the team members concerned. Thank you for your comments...

Reviewed October 25, 2011

I had heard so many stories about the Hydro – it’s grand landscaped gardens, spa, luxurious etc etc. I have to say, the staff were fantastically polite at all times and incredibly helpful. I was here for work and stayed a couple of nights. For all the hype I was quite taken back by how much maintenance work was required. I understand the hotel has recently been refurbished and was surprised by this. The corridors are kind of dark and dingy leading to the rooms. The bedroom was fine. The bathroom needed a good bleaching to bring the grout around the tiles back to a better looking colour and the toilet was not what I would class as clean. The handle flush wasn’t great and I would have to stand there and pump the flush handle before it would finally flush. Although none of these are major issues, I was just surprised at the grand comments it had received to what I actually found on arrival. Yes, it is set in stunning grounds. I did make use of the gym and pool etc. The changing rooms need a good scrub as does the steam room. There’s nothing more revolting than looking at the grouting on tiles around the body area of the seats to find grime etc – clearly from peoples bodies. Would I pay to use the hotel.. no… I have stayed in much more aesthetically pleasing hotels for a better nightly rate. The staff… now that is a different matter all together. You could appreciate the grand comments when being greeted at breakfast by a cheery member of staff and a ‘good morning’ every time you pass any member of staff. The staff here are what make the hotel in my opinion. Expensive bar meals!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

We were encouraged to see your comments about the staff who were fantastically polite at all times and incredibly attentive. However, I was very disappointed to read that we did not fulfil your expectations and that you experienced several problems requiring attention from our maintenance and housekeeping departments. Please accept our apologies and our assurance that we will use your review to focus attention in these areas and use this as part of our on-going commitment to improve.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

A bit disappointing. We wonder whether the hotel is looking at the bargain break side of the market. The room was fine but a little scruffy. There were dirty marks on the walls. The tea and coffee making facilites didn't include biscuits. We stayed for one night but we couldn't get into our room until four which was disappointing. It felt like waiting in a train station along with other guests and their luggage, Not a good start to our stay.

We enjoyed using the pool but again it could do with a lick of paint and a good clean.

Bar service was very slow and expensive. However the staff were very friendly.

We would use the hotel again but only with low expectations and a discounted room.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lily123Uk
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Sorry that you were disappointed in the check-in time but you will see that the previous reviewer especially liked the later check-out time compared to other hotels. It is a fine balance but our customer research indicates that most guests like to leave later and we need to service the rooms before other guests can check-in. Despite your reservations about some areas I was pleased to read your positive comments about the staff. Do hope that you will re-visit soon…

Reviewed October 23, 2011

We just came back from an excellent girlie pampering weekend at the Dunblane Hydro. Geat day of massage and facial at the spa, followed by a beautiful lunch in the nick nairn restaurant. In the evening we had booked into the main restaurant which, despite being packed, we recieved great service with very attentive staff and once again. - v tasty food!!
It was nice to have a later chck out time too, compared to other hotels. Felt very relaxed o our departure and the staff were amazing! Thanks folks! 10/10!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

I was pleased to read that your experience was so positive – in the Leisure Centre and in the Restaurant and that you received such great service from all our staff. Appreciate getting a 10/10 from you!

Reviewed October 20, 2011

Good value for money, lovely food, friendly staff. We would definately stay again if we are in the area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. So glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcomuing you back on your next visit…

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Well presented, very clean and tidy. Great bar area and really good quality food at reasonable pricing. A must to stay at whilst in this area of Scotland.

• Stayed: October 2011
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Thank you for posting your review after your recent stay at the hotel and we are so pleased that it ticked all the boxes for you with the great bar area and good quality food. I do hope that we will see you again soon…

Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed here nearly two years ago and wasn't overly impressed but this time the stay was really fine. The hotel was absolutely full but the bar, the leisure club and the Kailyard Restaurant were easily accessible and service throughout was good.

Food in the Kailyard was well presented and more than edible and we had no issues here at all for dinner. If I could give anyone some advise don't go for breakfast at 9:15 on a Sunday as the queue was up the hallway. We waited around 10 minutes to get in but food was hot although the fruit selection was maybe a bit limited, but for a hotel that was crammed full they did very well in the restaurant.

We had a room in the Stirling wing overlooking the car park so not really brilliant but the room was more than adequate for a one night stay.

So if you are looking for reasonably comfortable surroundings and pretty good food all at a reasonable price then the Dunblane Hydro will be just right for you.

Room Tip: Avoid Stirling wing overlooking the car park if you can.