“Disappointing experience at Dunblane Hydro”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
“Disappointing experience at Dunblane Hydro”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

After a poor experience at this hotel about 7 years ago (when it was also a Hilton) my wife and I agreed to try it with her parents after its change to the Doubletree brand. We had hoped that things would have changed but unfortunately not.

The 2 main failings this time were with the "spa" and the restaurant. The latter was the main failing on our last stay as well.

My wife had booked hour-long spa treatments for the Saturday afternoon for both her mother and herself. When they got to the leisure centre reception there had been an error made at the spa reception's side and her mother actually only received a half hour treatment while my mother had her hour's treatment - no apology though. In addition, the treatment rooms are seemingly fairly spartan and not what would typically be found when paying for relaxing spa treatments at a proper spa - just otherwise unused rooms off a corridor on the way to the swimming pool changing rooms. I noticed make-shift amateurish signs stuck on the 2 or 3 doors saying "Treatment room". Fairly poor standard, and the treatment itself seems to have been unimpressive for both mother and daughter.

The main failing is around the restaurant. On our last stay the service was poor and the food was not up to scratch - served cold, late etc. Not much has changed, despite Nick Nairn's name now adorning the menu. We were left standing at the front of the queue for tables for about 10 minutes without staff taking us to a table, and when they did there was apology for the wait.

My wife had ordered a bottle of champagne as a surprise for her parents (wedding anniversary) so that it would be at our table when we arrived. No champagne was at the table when we got there, and 10 minutes later she had to ask for it, blowing the surprise. Given she had ordered a £66 bottle of Veuve Cliquot customer satisfaction wasn't off to a great start. When they did bring the bottle after being asked they actually brought a much cheaper Piper Heidsick - which naturally got sent back as well.

When we ordered wine the waitress told us that our chosen wine wasn't actually available now. That was fine - no issue with that. Instead we ordered the South African Shiraz to have a big heavy red with the beef main course. When the waitress brought the wine and was pouring it we noticed that she was pouring a South African Shiraz Cabernet Sauv - a very different wine - much more medium-bodied than the full-bodied Shiraz would have been. Regardless, it wasn't our wine. And she hadn't told us. When I pointed out that it wasn't what we had ordered she told us that the one we ordered wasn't on the menu anymore. I was surprised to have to point out to her that she had served us a different wine without telling us about this. Given the wine was going to cost £33 it was totally unacceptable to just palm off another wine on us without telling us.

When we got down to the food I decided to risk going for the £27.50 beef fillet medallions. Nick Nairn had put his name to it so it would surely be up to scratch, yes? No. While there wasn't anything "wrong" with it when it came, there certainly wasn't anything to justify a £27.50 price tag- as high if not higher than most non-Michelin starred restaurants would charge. Any restaurant with the confidence to charge nearly £30 for beef medallions had better serve a top quality dish. Not the Hydro though.

And the other dishes served at our table were commented on as being sub-par - both the over cooked lamb, and the dry pork.

At the prices this place is quoting for its main meals (typically £15-£28), starters (£6-£8), and for wines (starting at about £25 for what is essentially "house wine" and going up well past £30) this place should take a long hard look at itself. We heard other tables around us complaining as well so its clearly a theme.

It all comes down to service and the cooking here, its not on at these prices. The wait on the way in was poor, the beef was down to being over-ambitious (if I was defending them), but the error on the wine was deceptive, pure and simple, and left us pretty annoyed.

To add insult to injury, when I spoke to the restaurant manager on the way out to flag up my concerns she seemed singularly uninterested in making any form of real apology about it. She didn't even seem embarassed by the criticism. Presumably she'd already been hearing it lots so isn't surprised anymore.

Despite a good breakfast the next morning going some way to making sure I could leave on a more positive note, we will not be staying at this hotel again.

1 Thank Hawthorn08
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
I was very disturbed to read how badly we got some things wrong on your recent visit to us. You are wrong, however, in believing that to do not care about your complaints and are uninterested in making any real apology. As you will know I have already emailed your wife expressing our apology in a tangible way to both you and her mother. I am happy to place that apology once again on this public forum…

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We had booked the hotel to celebrate my mother and fathers 40th wedding anniversary.
I will admit that my husband and I had stayed at the same hotel over 7 years ago and had a less than favourable experience, however given the refurbishment and the rebranding we thought it worth giving the hotel another try out.

Sadly, despite the beautiful exterior and interior the service has not changed and we experienced substandard service thoughout our visit and staff which did not seem to understand the concept of customer service.

Firstly I had booked spa treatments for my mother and myself. Despite having been asked to turn up before the 1pm treatments we were kept waiting until 1.20 with no apology or explanation. When someone did finally speak to us it became clear that the wrong treatments had been booked for us, resulting in my mum getting a half hour massage treatment rather than a full hour aromatherapy treatment which I had requested. While I can completely forgive human error/mistakes, the beautician failed to apologise in the first instance and told me that I was at fault. She also advised me that they were unable to accomodate any change to the booking that they had. My own view was that had we started the treatment on time, my mum could have had the full hour treatment. The spa bills itself as "luxurious" and the prices are comparable to city centre spas however the treatment rooms require an urgent upgrade as do the towels and the beds used. Again, I would not complain had the prices been set at a level to reflect what was on offer.

I had called the hotel during the week to make sure that a bottle of champagne would be set up at the restaurant table for the saturday night and even confirmed this in person with the restaurant on the saturday afternoon after we had checked in.

When we arrived at the restaurant on the saturday night we were kept waiting for 15 minutes. Again, I don't mind waiting however despite numerous managers passing by the long line of people waiting to be seated not one of them acknowledged anyone in the queue or indeed apologised. When we finally got to our table there was no champagne. I asked for it and was brought a bottle of champagne which was £20 cheaper than the one I had specifically requested and had to ask for the correct bottle to be brought.

We then requested wine and were told that the bottle was not available. We then ordered a Cabernet and a Cabernet Sauvignon was brought to us. We highlighted the problem to which we were told that the Cabernet was no longer available due to a change in wine suppliers and that the Cabernet Sauvignon was the alternative. These are not comparable wines and so we thought it odd that no one had highlighted any of this to us when we ordered the wine.

Given the prices and Nick Nairns name on the menu we had high expectations of the food. again we were sadly disappointed. the food was average and 3 of the main meals were overcooked and not worth the price. Not once did a member of staff top up our wine or champagne. at least 2 tables close to us complained to staff about both food and service which should have highlighted the problem.

we paid for the dinner and my husband asked to speak to a manager after the rest of our party left the restaurant. the manager that he spoke to offered no real apology and indeed gave the impression of neither being surprised nor caring. While I take on board the managers comments to one of the reviews below the simple fact is that for the prices being charged you do expect a certain level of customer service, food and at the very least a full apology. We had visited the Bistro One Devonshire Gardens 2 weeks prior to this booking which has comparable charges for food, yet the service was on a level way above offered at the Hilton.

The room we were allocated was in the wing outside the main building. there were sweet wrappers underneath the bed when we checked in and there were old unremoveable stains on the toilet seat. not really what you would expect from a Hilton. also the corridors in that wing are in a sad state of repair and require urgent attention.

Overall, not what you would expect for the money being charged and our family will not be back. the reception staff were however lovely as was the manager in the leisure complex.

Room Tip: Request a room in the main building
1 Thank johammc
Your husband has already posted a review about this stay and so I don’t really understand why you felt the need to post this review as well. As I have said to your husband, you are wrong in believing that to do not care about your complaints and are uninterested in making any real apology. As you will know I have already emailed you expressing our apology in a tangible way to both you and your mother. I am happy to place that apology once again on this public forum…

Travelers are raving about these Dunblane hotels

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2011

This beautiful hotel sits high on a hill overlooking the distant hills to the North and is a beautifully decorated and furnished older structure (completely new but consistent decor on the inside). We were welcomed with warm cookies at the front desk and there were warm bath robes on the bed. The room was furnished beautifully and the bathroom modern and lovely (I wish I had these Grohe fixtures at home!). The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The bar and restaurant served excellent meals and the atmosphere was wonderful. We decided to extend our stay in this hotel and just drive a little further as we explored the Lochs to the North and Stirling Castle to the South. Absolutely recommended in every way!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
So pleased that the hotel inspired someone from Florida to extend their stay in this part of Scotland. Delighted that it ticked all the boxes for you and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Aberdeen
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Disappointed by a couple of things. Firstly the room was way too small for a family of four which we had booked and paid for. No room for anything else and you could not walk across the room, no floor space.

The dbb rate we had barely covered the overpriced food. Food was good, but not good value for money.

Changing rooms at the pool are out of the 70,s and desperately need a refurb. Not a major point, but worth mentioning.

I would suggest staying at a budget hotel, get a bigger room and spend the rest of amount on a good value meal!!!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank pkgoodfoodfan
I guess it’s all about choices and the hotel will never be the ideal place for everyone. I see that you are a regular traveller and value for money is a very personal perspective. I am sorry that we did not fulfil your expectations…
Hamilton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We were given £100 Hotel Connection vouchers last year as a 30th birthday present. Postponed using them as we were expecting a baby. Decided to book a hotel on the September weekend with less travel time that also had a pool so we could relax for the day and take the wee one for a swim. We Picked Dunblane Hydro as we had stayed at another Hydro Hotel that we had enjoyed. We left home at 10.30am and arrived at the hotel at 11.15 to find out that you can't check in till 4pm. No one told us at Hotel Connections or on the hotel website that this was so late a check in time. The babies bed time is at 7pm. The hotel and grounds are lovely and we got some good photos. We took the baby in the sling for a walk into the town centre but there was no shops open on a Sunday. Picked sandwiches at Tesco for lunch and sat on a bench in town centre to eat them. Afterwards walked back to hotel. Sat in the large room for 1.5hours to the side of the bar to feed the baby. Had another wander and then sat in our car. Tried to see if a room was ready but none. Had another seat in the car - hanging about using the car as a base was annoying with a small baby (& 2 tired parents) who needed a sleep - most hotels check in times are 2pm. Thought about just driving back home 42 miles but would lose money..... Decided to try the pool with the baby - but at 28 degrees we couldn’t stay in the water that long - also no communal changing rooms which made it hard to get changed with a small baby. After the swim I had to wait to use the baby changing facilities as a larger woman was using that to get changed in. Spa facilities were a bit run down and I am sure if HSE was to inspect the pool area they would be far than happy to see all the broken wall tiles and peeling wall boards within the shower area. After the pool at 3pm still too early to get a room. Again had a seat in the large lounge off from the main bar and went to bar to order coffee but we needed a room number or cash to order. A helpful bar person told the person serving me to leave it open on the till - until we got a room number in 30mins. Thank you to that member of staff. So then Fed baby and let her sprawl out on the large sofa for a sleep. At 4pm room 255 wasnt ready for us so they gave us 261. Two single beds pushed together with two separate duvets. This is a bit strange for a married couple? Got car unpacked and put the wee one down for a sleep in the travel cot provided by hotel. Got ready for dinner as table was booked for 6pm. On arrival at restaurant at 6pm we were told our table was not ready and to give them 5minutes. Sat on the chairs outside dining room where two group of people arrived and were seated straight away in the restaurant! The three course meal was really lovely but unsure if worth the price attached to menu. Only a few items listed on the menu with 'Nick Nairn' label. Then at 7.30pm went back to room and put baby down in cot for the night. Had a coffee in our room using room facilities which was a bit awkward to use as you have to lift the whole tray out to attach kettle to a plug. On the plus side the chocolate chip cookie we received on check-in was delicious. I was sleeping for 8.30pm and other half watched the tv (which was fiddly to navigate) till 10pm. Didn’t have a good sleep as the beds are solid and awoke with a sore back. Had a nice deep bath which was lovely to help ease my back. Went for breakfast at 9am. Breakfast was great with a good selection and helpful, friendly staff. Back to room afterward to pack cases. Thought about going back to the pool but decided it wasnt worth the hassle with the wee one. Fed the baby, loaded car and checked out. Overall if we knew that it was a 4pm check in we would have booked elsewhere as it was over before it had begun. We could have just went “away for the day” would had of been a less expensive option. Spoiled the whole day hanging around living out the car, trying to get stuff out a suitcase which had a pram sitting on it in the boot of the car. Happy 30th Birthday!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Guests, by overwhelming demand, do not have to vacate their rooms until 12 noon on the day of their departure and so, in a very busy hotel, it just is not possible to have rooms ready for occupation by 11.15 in the morning! However, I do wish that you had let our Front Office staff know that you had a young child with you as we would have done our utmost to accommodate your needs in some way. Sorry that this took the edge off your 30th birthday celebration.
Aberdeen
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Very disappointed with a few aspects of this Hotel.
As we drove into the entrance the Hotel certainly has that WOW factor, unfortunately that's where it ended.
The two night stay was booked for us by my wife's company so we did not have a say in the choice of room. I wish we had
We were put into the Stirling wing which is an add on building round the back of the main hotel so we had a marvellous view of the rear car park!
The room was smaller than most Premier Inn rooms with the bed taking up most of the space. Any room service would have been pointless as there was a a very small table and one chair.
My wife and i spent most of the weekend saying excuse me to each other. I phoned to see if we could pay for an upgrade but unfortunately the Hotel was full.
Having stayed in comparable Hotels like Cameron house, Pittodrie House and Murrayshall, even the Hyde Park Hilton, this is way way down the list for space and comfort.
Then there's the restaurant.
Riding on the name of Nick Nairn, the meals, for what you get on the plate, are very expensive. £30 for an 8oz fillet with a few beans and 2 halved boiled potatoes was,to me, overpriced. The side orders, which you really need at least one, are over £3.50 a go. They even charge for bread!! No other restaurant I have been in does this.
We were in The Witchery in Edinburgh earlier in the year, I think Nick Nairn should go there to see how it should be done. I don't mind high prices if the food quality and quantity warrant it, but this didn't.
On a better note, Dunblane and the surrounding area are fabulous. Much to see and do and well worth a visit but I would be inclined to stay at Cameron House and commute,

Room Tip: Get a suite in the front of the Hotel, refuse the Stirling wing.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pompeyrew
Unfortunately the veracity of your review is undermined by an exaggerated description of those aspects with which you were unhappy. Although I am sorry to read of your disappointment I am concerned that this has resulted in a review which gives an erroneous and inaccurate picture of the hotel.
As you may be aware the hotel was built in 1878 and, despite the £12m recently spent on the major refurbishment of the hotel, it was not possible to change the sizes of the rooms within the building, giving us a range of rooms of different sizes and styles. The Stirling Wing was added almost 30 years ago and has rooms of uniform size, certainly not “smaller than those in a Premier Inn”. We would not keep our 4* rating if the rooms were not of adequate size. We have a variety of larger rooms in the main building which many of our guests choose to book. I am sorry that we were unable to offer you an upgraded room because the hotel was full and all rooms allocated whilst you were staying here. Whilst I regret that you were also disappointed in the restaurant, your description of both dishes and prices are also inaccurate. Prime Scottish beef fillet is served with wild mushrooms, sauté potatoes, fine beans and whisky cream and costs £27.50. Side dishes of buttered spring greens, hand-cut chips, dressed mixed salad, rocket and parmesan salad, boiled new potatoes, green beans or creamy mash are priced at £3.15 – not “over £3.50 a go”.
We are always disappointed when any guest leaves dissatisfied but reviews are much more useful to both ourselves and the many readers of TripAdvisor when they are factually accurate. I was pleased to see that your feedback ended on a more positive note and that you thought Dunblane and the surrounding area well worth the visit.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My fiancee booked this as a relaxing night away before our baby is due next month. He got the spa deal. The treatments were lovely and the woman working there was great. The pool etc is lovely but the changing rooms could defiantly do with a DEEP clean!! They really are fairly disgusting.
We checked in at 4, seemed really late when you were only there the night. We were given a corner room. It was very small with a restricted view - of the car park!!
Everything seemed fine untill we went for the meal. What a disaster and really did ruin our evening.
We stood waiting to be seated but were ignored untill someone finally took us to our seats an walked away. No drinks order just menu placed on the table. After once again being ignored by every member of staff we finally called the girl over to get a drink and asked if we could order. We ordered soup and bread to start. Bread came out immediatly with no started here 15 minutes later. 30 minutes from wen the table was booked and still no starter?!! We would have asked but no staff seemed interested and walked passed without an acknowledgement! The service is horrendous. I work in the hospitality department, if I ever though my
Staff were treating clients this way they wouldn't last the shift!!
Our starters took so long to be cleared we were another 40 minutes waiting on mains. Table was booked
for 7.45 and we still hadn't had mains by 9. We both only ate half our mains we had waited so long and couldn't find anyone to refill our drinks.
At the end of our meal we called a man in a suit over we told him how bad the meal was. He shrugged his shoulders and said 'he didn't understand'. Think he was Polish along with half the staff. We were
both so annoyed we just went straight up to the room.
Breakfast was slightly better as it was self service.
We told the receptionist at check out how disappointed we were and she simply replied with sorry.
No staff seemed to care. I was so disappointed when I found out how much it cost. If I was in a normal restaurant we would both have walked out before the staters arrived but there was no where else in the area.
Hotel is fine, in idilic setting but the restuarant let's it down big time. I think Nick Nairn would be embaraased to pit his name to it if he knew how bad the service is.
We would not return nor would we recommend. Customer service has to be worked on big time!!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Janers2323
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
I was appalled by the standard of service you describe which was clearly unacceptable but do wish you could have made this point without reference to ethnicity. We employ many hard-working, professional and articulate staff who come originally from Poland and many other countries. Unacceptable service is just that – whether from a native-born worker or from someone born elsewhere. Please accept our apologies – which have already been given to you in a personal email. I am glad that you enjoyed the treatments which you had booked and that you appreciated the hotel and its idyllic setting.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Airth Castle & Hotel

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!