“You get the good with bad”

Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunblane
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Beautiful hotel in beautiful grounds. Service not at standard usually enjoyed from Hilton which was disappointing. Were also allocated a standard room though paid for bigger - rooms do not have a fridge/minibar.
1 very small and slow elevator.

• Stayed: September 2011
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

We share your disappointment in the level of service you received if it was below your expectations. We always try to exceed expectations. The size of the elevators (we have two!) could not be increased in this old listed building and we can always provide bar service to your room. (Mini-bars are very expensive to maintain for the hotel and guest alike). Sorry about the room allocation - you should certainly have got what you paid for! If you want to get in touch with me at the hotel I will look into this for you.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro

Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights, with several of our family members and friends joining us for food, drinks etc. We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who wasn't flustered even though she had just checked in a coach load of visitors, whose guide then proceeded to bark instructions regarding location of rooms, meal times etc at his companions. We liked the rooms, I would say they are of average size for this type of hotel - certainly no larger nor smaller than the average of hundreds of rooms I've stopped in over the last three decades or so while travelling professionally and for leisure. Our room was clean and had a pleasant fresh odour (as did the whole hotel). The room was equipped with an iron, an ironing board, hairdrier etc. The bed was larger than average (a 'super king' I guess) so once we'd settled we had a very restful night's sleep. Staff in the restaurant and bar were friendly and gave a pleasant greeting with a genuine smile. The snack and restaurant food were excellent (my wife regreted not being able to eat all the braised lamb she was served due to the portion size being very generous). Other family members used the pool and said it was very clean and pleasant to use. Being a picky person though I had a couple of 'niggles' - the live music in the restaurant on our second evening was obtrusive and so a conversation stopper, although the waitress did listen to my complaint and promptly arranged for the volume to be turned down: also there were no complimentary bottles of water in our room (the coffee and tea making facility was very good though and the tap water was clear and pleasantly drinkable - but my wife prefers bottled water so promptly sent me to the bar for supplies). At the end of the stay the receptionist once again was very friendly and provided all the information I asked for without any sign of impatience. Oh yes, there was ample car parking around the grounds.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 25kV_Sparky
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2011

We were so pleased to read your feedback that the hotel provided such a suitable venue for your family event and that the staff maintained such a pleasant and professional manner throughout. I was pleased to see that the restaurant food was excellent with such generous portion sizes and that the waitress immediately took on board your comments about the volume of the music and promptly did something about it. Do hope to see you back again soon…

Reviewed September 9, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night on our way down from Dunkeld to Edinburgh. Hotel was very nice so we decided to stay for dinner and sample some of the Nick Nairn speciality items. Portions were small and the food was quite nice but it was difficult to see what was special about anything we ordered. Restaurant was so dark we had trouble reading the menu. We were told it was "Mood Lighting". Most people would call it dull. We ordered black coffee at £2.75 each and were delivered 2 cups, half full. I joked with the waiter that for that price we had expected a pot of coffee plus petit fours and was told, rather surly, that serving coffee in cups was "more classy".

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stanly
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2011

Glad that you decided to stop over here on your way back to Edinburgh but sorry that you weren’t wowed by the restaurant and that the décor was not to your liking. Sorry, too, for the less-than-professional response of your waiter but pleased that you did enjoy your stay in this beautiful location.

Reviewed September 6, 2011

Past glories somewhat restored and friendly, engaging staff who make the difference. But rooms are pokey and some aspects, like Internet, are an insulting ripoff. That said, probably the most happening bar in a provincial hotel on a Tuesday night that I've ever seen. Go on, you know you want to ;-)

1  Thank Fibernachi
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2011

“The most happening bar in a provincial hotel” – love that description! Despite the £12m recently spent on the major refurbishment of the hotel, it wasn’t possible to change the sizes of the rooms, giving us a range of rooms of different sizes and styles and I’m sorry that you found your room rather small. We’re also exploring our options around Internet charges which are complicated by infrastructure install and support costs and by bandwidth availability challenges. Do hope you’ll visit again soon…

Reviewed September 4, 2011

Beautiful hotel, Lovely room, good restaurant and friendly and personal service from the staff. I would definetely go back If in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011
WatchmanDunblane, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

Thank you for posting this feedback and we are so pleased that both the hotel and restaurant, as well as the personal service from our team members, make you want to return. We look forward to seeing you…

Reviewed September 3, 2011

The hotel on arrival looked very nice, well kept lawn and immaculate reception area. Check in was speedy and efficient. The room we were given was in the "new" wing (I do have to stress that planning officials should be shot for allowing this monstrosity to be built on the side of a nice historic building). Our room was quite small but perfectly formed, although it could have done with a good clean and dust and the carpets desperately need a vacuum and the bathroom really needs a deep clean and the grout needs urgent attention. The bedding was clean and the bed comfy and I was glad to see the shampoo etc were of a good enough make not to be loaded with chemicals.

The carpets throughout the corridors really need somebody to vacuum them far more often as they always had loads of bits on them and the handyman needs to get down the corridors and paint all the scrapes and bashes on the walls and doors (this is just a personal pet hate of mine in hotels).

The bar areas are very nice and clean, drinks a bit expensive but the bar staff were all very pleasant.

Dinner was the worst part of our stay which was a bit of a letdown as it was the part I was most looking forward to. The restaurant is decorated to perfection for my taste but that is where the pro's end. We struggled to find anything on the menu that we wanted to eat so we both opted for the smoked salmon starter, this was nice although you can't go wrong with shoving a bit of smoked salmon on a plate with some watercress (this would have been far better also served with a slice of wholemeal bread to give it some substance). My main course I had trout which was served just warm on a bed of green potato stuff and something they were passing off as vegetables was 4 pea sized cut outs of a courgette!!! My husbands dinner was far worse though, he got a bowl of bean soup with a pork chop stuck on top (we should have guessed something was up as a few other guests had ordered side orders of chips and potatoes to give their meal a boost as they really lacked any substance, no wonder Nick Nairn is stick thin!!). Dessert I had the chocolate torte, no complaints for me but my husband ordered the rhubarb crumble as he was so hungry he thought this would be the most filling dessert, this turned out to be apple crumble as there was no rhubarb which was fine, although when it turned up instead of being a nice hearty looking crumble it turned out to be a circle of a very light crumbly textured oddity with some apple through it (not really like my crumble) and again was so light in texture it didn't have any substance again!!

The next nights dinner wasn't any better (the couple next to us couldn't find anything they wanted to eat either so just asked if the chef could make them some simple fish and chips, which to their credit they did) If we hadn't paid for the dinner beforehand we would never have gone back but we gave it another go. My husbands main was the chicken breast which again was served in a bowl on top of a concoction similar to a broth (we have since noted that if your main meal comes served in a bowl then you know you have a soup disguised as a main!!!) On the first night we both left the restaurant starving
hungry (contemplating whether to find the nearest chippy) but the next night we were quite prepared and had a big lunch while out shopping so it wasn't so bad.

Breakfast on the first morning was very good, we were greeted by a very nice Scottish girl who was polite and respectful and the food options were very good.

On the second morning we were greeted by a rather bolshy and miserable (eastern european) who really didn't want to be there, I was shown to a chair that had food all over it which I swiftly picked up and swapped with a chair from the next table and instead of checking why I had done this he just proceeded to sit another guest in the same food stained chair!!

Overall the hotel is quite nice and probably what people expect of a chain hotel. Some areas do need improvement and being trained in hotel management I probably do find fault and notice many things that some people may not. It would be nice to see the hotel look into the restaurant and maybe make it a little less pretentious and suit the food tastes of the many and not just the few. It would be nice to see the hotel employ a few more Scottish staff as they are certainly more pleasant and grateful for their jobs than their foreign counterparts who come across as miserable, arrogant and rude.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank thetravellerScotland

I am sorry that you were disappointed particularly in the restaurant menu. You mention that the guests at an adjoining table asked the chef to make something more to their taste and were promptly served a specially-prepared meal – I only wish that you had done the same so that we could have ensured your satisfaction. I am sorry that you met a member of staff who you thought was rather ‘bolshie’ but I have to defend the large number of foreign people who work in the hospitality industry in Scotland and say that I find your description of them as miserable, arrogant and rude to be a rather patronising generalisation which I find rather distasteful and surprising from someone who has been trained in hotel management.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

The hotel is much nicer since the £12 million refit.........back in 2008 it was like "The Shining"

Bedroom good.....Bathroom good.......food good, but small portions and expensive.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Most people who return to the hotel after several years are amazed at the transformation! So glad you enjoyed your stay…

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunblane
Cromlix
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan
Stirling Court Hotel
Stirling Court Hotel
#7 of 20 in Stirling

Been to Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro? Share your experiences!