“Pretty good” 3 of 5 bubbles

India Gate Indian Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 17 Restaurants in Dunblane
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Postcode : FK15 0EY Tele: 01786 822 098
Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Pretty good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The portions were good, the service was prompt and polite, and the menu fairly extensive. Only thing that kept it from a better review was the fact that one of my dishes was a bit undercooked, and when they replaced it, it was still undercooked.
That was just one out of a lots of dishes at the table, and we've been a couple of times, but it has had an impact on this review.

Visited February 2013

Edinburgh
“Sinking Fast”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I am from Dunblane and have been a patron of this restaurant since the current management took over from the previous, approximately 3-4 years. I have always enjoyed this restaurant and the staff know both myself and partner by site, although not by name.

It is because I have always enjoyed this Indian restaurant that compels me to write and explain why the current establishment is likely suffering from less and less clientèle.

The food has certainly dropped in quality, or perhaps more accurately the cooking of the food. When the first below par meal arrived I thought perhaps it was a one off, or even on reflection it could have been myself, taste bud not on form etc. That was some 9 months ago, and going from visiting India Gate fortnightly to rarely is an indicator of my experiences since then.

So, whats gone wrong?
Staff have changed, almost without exception for the worse. Of the staff that remain, say from two years ago are all very pleasant. However, two new staff, one I think a manager, or he thinks he is, is not very customer focused, in fact I would describe him as aggressive. I recall about a month ago Dec/2012 I asked him “if Mr Singh was in tonight?” for no other reason to make conversation. His reply was an aggressive, “Why? Why do you want to speak to Mr Singh, when did you last see Mr Singh here? I was taken aback, and simply stated it would have been a few months before. Mr Singh, actually sits out in the front to see his customers, and takes and interest in his restaurant, not having seen him for a while I thought it a reasonable question. Unfortunately, I think this waiter (older short man, with little hair) thought I was wanting to complain about something, and even if I had, his reaction was interesting!

The second member of staff, is a young man, and unfortunately he has a rather over keenness attitude, circling around close by and lifting drinks from the table without asking if the drink is finished. Also, a certain M&S inane conversation has crept in, rather than talking about the meal we just had the conversation leans towards “and what have you planned this weekend”? Not to mention him blurting out, “AH, That’ll be £50.00 on here, how much of a tip do you want to give”? So much for a surprise treat for my girlfriend, well at least she knows how much I'm spending on our treat!

But, it’s the food that changed most of all least of all it’s cost, even their own website doesn't keep up with the new price increases which are frequent. But, my main issue is not the cost, it’s the quality.

Ex 1. South Indian Garlic Chilli Lamb. It was a fantastically spicy dish, with succulent lamb, cooked perfectly, tasting of, yes lamb. Whole pieces of spice and herbs clearly visible chopped with chefs knife. This dish was not for the faint hearted, and described as a hot dish, it did not disappoint. Now however, it’s a shadow of its former self, the lamb was over cooked, bordering on hard. The sauce seemed to be similar to most of the other sauces, liquidised, and a chilli cut in half and put in. This was a dish that when prepared before had all manner of whole spices and herbs showing in it.

Ex 2. Lamb Jaipuri. Sauce mushed down into a pouring consistency, a little piece of chopped green pepper and onion. The majority of this sauce certainly have been through a reducing process, food processor to excess.

Ex 3. Tandoori King Prawn. My partners usual, unfortunately this this dish's main ingredient, King Prawn varies in format. What I mean by this is that the King Prawns at times arrive on the plate, mushy! Now, I really don’t know how they manage that, three of the 5/6 large king prawns, and they are large, which is good, but....... overly soft, almost water logged. It must be something to do with the storage process or perhaps the defrosting process, but it’s enough to ruin the dish and now my partner orders chicken instead, a great shame.

All the above examples have not been a one off, I’m not prepared to write off the India gate so easily especially after having been a customer there for so long. Also, yes, my partner and I have asked the waiters on various occasions to take various meals away and change or reheat.

So, my last visit here was Friday evening 8pm, and unfortunately again the meal was lack lustre and the one young over keen waiter hung around. Perhaps it was because he didn’t have many other tables to wait on, the restaurant was ¾ empty, I’ve never seen that before, especially at the end of a month.

Value for money, well, not very high score here I’m afraid, I really don’t mind pushing the boat out and paying for a enjoyable meal, but I’m sorry to say I’ll likely go back to the India Gate in a few months’ time (3), so the visits become further and further apart .

My partner was speaking to someone recently, just an acquaintance. They got talking about Indian restaurants and she was surprised to hear the person say “I’ve stopped going there, all their sauces are a bit samey”! So it seems we are not the only people thinking things have gone downhill.

Perhaps we should try one of Mr Singh’s restaurants in Stirling, perhaps there has been one too many movement of chefs. It certainly needs to make some major changes, and refer back to how it was a year ago, given the fact that shortly an Italian restaurant is opening in Dunblane, they really need to get their act together quickly, or we are going to see that ubiquitous and all to familiar sign up which I certainly don’t want “UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT”!

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Perspective_Helps
Alloa, Scotland.
“First Class Food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

4 of us went to the India Gate Restaurant for Christmas Lunch ( 22/12/12 ) and had a first class
meal. Since then I have been back twice with my wife and family. The staff can not do enough
for you.

• Visited December 2012
Isle of Arran, United Kingdom
“Amazing with a capital A”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Everything from the staff to the food was excellent. My husband loves his Indian curry`s said this was the best curry he had ever tasted.
We live about a 40min car journey from Dunblane and was staying in the town over night but we would not think twice about traveling that far just for the meal you receive at the India Gate. We could not fault anything.

Visited January 2013
“Overall excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I can honestly say its the best tasting Indian meal I've ever had and I've tried a lot of Indian resturants