“Poor, poor service, dissapointed.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheriffmuir Inn

Sheriffmuir Inn
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Dunblane
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks
Description: Off the beaten track Inn with locally sourced food & Ale
“Poor, poor service, dissapointed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I've came here once before and thought this place was excellent! It's family run, has a great menu and is in a lovely, relaxed location. But my visit this week was very disappointing.

I arrived at the lunchtime rush (no different from the last time) and was seated immediately. I ordered mussels to start after having seen another guest enjoy them. The mussels were a great size but the sauce however was bland and didn't seem to have much garlic. It was more like cream water with some herbs.

After my starter my children & I waited a further 40mins for our main course. On observation it seemed like a huge majority of the other guests were waiting this long too. I noticed the owner/manager had friends at another table and a lot of the fuss seemed to be directed towards this table. When the mains finally arrived the kids meals were fine, no issues however the Pork Belly I ordered was completely dry! It wasn't pleasant at all. It was tough and very difficult to just cut & chew. It comes with roasted veg, mash & BBQ sauce, I didn't think that the sauce would actually be regular refrigerated BBQ sauce squirted on the plate.

As they fussed over the other table I decided to skip the puddings as I didn't fancy another long wait!

Im not a complainer and I only ever use trip advisor for positive feedback but it's been a long time since I have experienced service/food this bad.

It's a shame, it's a beautiful location and the restaurant itself is cosy & welcoming but this weeks dining experience was poor.... Perhaps just an off day?

I would love to recommend this place but sadly, with two young hungry children, I don't think I would take the risk again.

I do agree with one if the previous reviews that on my last visit there was a lot of Gordon Ramsey style shouting coming from the kitchen but I would not base my review just on this.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Antro82

Carnoustie
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Super location, quality food from a nice menu, with excellent service. Friendly, comfortable , relaxed atmosphere, didn't feel rushed as we sat for quite a while after our meal. A classic 'wayside inn' on its own in lovely quiet moorland. Will be back.

1 Thank Stayathome_10
Newtonmore, United Kingdom
“The Sheriffmuir Inn - good wholesome local food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just had dinner at The Sheriffmuir Inn. For mid week it was surprisingly busy. The food was fantastic. Between us we had Cullen Skink (a firm favourite) pate, steak, twice cooked pork belly and venison. The venison was so, melt in your mouth tender. Every last morsel on every plate was finished. Definately worth the trip up the road! It was cosy with the open fire.

1 Thank Carol M
Wirral.
“Lucky Find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had just visited Doune castle, and I picked up a tour guide book in the shop which had this restaurant as one of the recommended. So we decided to try and find it, out what ever you do dont approach from The Bridge of Alan area, we thought we'd never get there, its much shorter from Dunblane. What a pleasant surprise, who would guess that from the outside it would look so good inside. The food was excellent, unlike a previous reviewer I found the smoked salmon to be delicious, and my husbands venison cooked to perfection. The owner and staff were very pleasant, and we were entertained by some other diners loudly expressing their opinions what a hoot. We went back to our hotel and recommended this to our fellow guests.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Scotland
“Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

All of a sudden on a Sunday a rather beautiful remote spot is transformed as cars all suddenly arrive for Sunday lunch, it was lovely and worth the trip.