“Family wedding”
Review of Torrance Hotel

Torrance Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunate I was disappointed I had my wedding here 30 years ago and although the hotel has been modernised, I recommended it to my niece. Her reception was disappointing the buffet, people did not get any of it, there simple was not enough put out. The young once don't eat all they do is drink so for us older ones it was gone. Her beautiful wedding cake was binned so never got a piece of that either as so many guest commented on still to speak to someone who got a piece. The bar staff were helpful but sadly regards to the food was a let down and spoiled when speaking to others

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Jacqueline V
There are newer reviews for Torrance Hotel

Reviewed October 7, 2013

On the 22nd Sept 2013, I held my wedding reception in the Torrance Hotel. I booked the venue well over a year in advance and dealt with the wedding co-ordinator to arrange all the details. On the night of the wedding reception the wedding co-ordinator was not around and had left it to the general manager to "co-ordinate" the wedding.
To start the night we had paid £595 for 170 glasses of sparkling wine to be given to our guests on arrival. Guests were due to arrive at 7.30pm. One of the 2 staff that were on that night, was seen pouring all the glasses at 6.50pm. I knew this because the wine was sitting poured on a table outside the honeymoon suite. As you can imagine the wine was flat as guests were arriving!.
Further to this we paid £1650 to cater for 150 people at £10.95 per person. On speaking to my guests a lot of them said they did not actually get any buffet as there was not enough put out. Several of my guests asked if more food was coming out and were told by staff it was. No more food was actually put out. The Torrance did not cater for 100 people let alone 150.
During the day I had paid for our wedding cake to be delivered to the Torrance. It was a cake for 200 people and cost us £500. I asked for all of the cake to be cut up and put out as there were 2 flavours within the 4 tiers.
The next morning we checked out of the hotel forgetting to ask for the left over cake as we had so much stuff to take home. I called the hotel on the Monday late afternoon and the receptionist said she had a look in the kitchen and the cake didn't seem to be there. On the Tuesday I went to the Torrance to ask for our cake. I spoke with the general manager Garrie ---- who basically told me they had thrown it out and "all he could do was apologise".
My husband and I and lots of guests did not even get a piece of cake. It was thrown out without even asking us.
I was so upset about this I decided I had to take it further as I did not feel an apology was enough and the customer service was poor.
I spoke to the wedding co-ordinator on the Wednesday night and she agreed that the cake should not have been thrown out, there was instructions left that the wine was to be be poured a 7.30pm and she would discuss the buffet with the manager above the general manager and get back to me with a response. This phone call never came.
On calling to esculate my complaint, I was advised by the staff at the Torrance they did not give out names of people above the manager. I then had to contact Manor View who own the Torrance.
I dealt with the receptionist there and emailed my complaint. 5 days later I had to call back to chase my complaint as no-one had responded to me. I was advised the directors had discussed my complaint at a meeting and I would receive a response in the post. 10 mins after this phone call I got an email basically saying our complaint was "a one off and new procedures would be put in place in the future". The email then simply said again all they can do is apologise and hope we return to the Torrance Hotel. Our wedding reception WAS a "one off" for us as we wont ever get that night back with our friends and family. Again I could not accept this email.
Not once have I been contacted by Torrance Hotel staff or the directors to discuss this complaint. It has all been done through speaking to a receptionist at Manor View and the insult of an apology by email.
As a last resort I contacted Torrance Hotel and asked to speak with Garrie (general manager), I was assured I would be called back as he was busy. As you can guess I still await this phone call!.
The Torrance Hotel has just been refurbished and is a lovely venue, it is just a real shame the staff are not trained to a standard where they provide basic customer service or even care that they have caused so much upset.
We, along with our guests will never return to the Torrance Hotel and I would never recommend it as a professional wedding venue.
So please be aware if you choose to book it, you will deal with a wedding co-ordinator who won't be there on the night leaving it to the manager to attempt to co-ordinate. Your guests will not be fed as there will not be the amount of food out that you paid for, they will also get a flat sparkling wine and your wedding cake will be thrown out without asking you if you want it!.
You will not get the decency of a phone call after you dare to complain just an apology from the directors through an email!.
So disappointed and saddened by our experience at the Torrance and lack of care and customer service by the staff :(((((((

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank samantha c
Louize H, Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback. Firstly we are sorry that you have felt the need to write this review regarding your recent wedding reception at the Torrance Hotel. As I’m sure you will agree we strive to ensure that every function, wedding or event at the Torrance is a very special and memorable one for you and your guests.

We note that your main complaint was that we threw away what was left of your wedding cake. Having investigated this, we can confirm as per your instruction that you had requested for all tiers of your cake to be cut and none of which was to be kept. Therefore the only cake that was disposed of was the cut cake, which had gone stale having been left for three days following your wedding reception. Also when you sat down with the wedding coordinator to plan your wedding reception, the question was asked if you would like all of your wedding cake cut to which you had answered yes and this was put on your wedding itinery and passed to our Management Team that was running your wedding reception. This brings me onto your next point that your wedding coordinator did not run your reception, your wedding coordinators role is to plan your night and then the instruction is passed over to our operations team to coordinate the evening.

With regards to your sparkling wine reception being poured at 6.50pm, again we have looked into this and yes there was instruction from your wedding coordinator to serve your sparkling wine at 7.30pm when your guests started arriving, however as some of your guests did start arriving just before 7pm, which we started pouring some of the wine at this point to ensure each and everyone of your guests would receive an arrival drink. However not all of it was poured at this time, it was poured as guests continued to arrive and we was still pouring sparking for guests who arrived a little later than 7.30pm.

Moving onto the comments regarding your buffet, we are surprised at these comments as we always receive very positive feedback with the quality and never have an issue with the quantity of food that we serve on our buffets as we always cater for the numbers that have been booked and paid for.

Lastly we can confirm that you have received a response either by email or telephone on each and every occasion that you have contacted us regarding your wedding cake, both our General Manger and Head Office have both come back to you and explained all of the above.
Once again we are sorry that you have felt the need to make these complaints and reviews regarding your wedding reception.

Regards

The Torrance Hotel

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Was recently invited to a wedding at the Torrance, in which we stayed overnight. The rooms are beautiful, very modern and staff were fab, only down side was breakfast is only served till 9am!! So not good value for money on bed and breakfast rate, as we did not manage breakfast after such a late night xx

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn D
Garrie R, General Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Many thanks for your positive comments regarding the rooms and the friendly staff.

Breakfast times during the week is indeed 7am till 9am which you would have been advised of at the check in stage if you had advised reception at this point we would have accommodated this for you.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Torrance Hotel in the near future.

Garrie Ross.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed at the hotel with my husband using a voucher deal. Couldn't fault the hotel room or food both great. The standard room was decorated to a high standard and very modern. Loved the docking station, fridge tunocks biscuits to name a few great things. Our only gripe was that our room (16) was next to a door which we could hear banging all night as there was a wedding on and the hotel was busy. East Kilbride village was also a nice area to have a drink a pleasant surprise. Most of the staff were friendly especially the young waitress in the restaurant only really reception staff member not as friendly didn't seem that bothered if we enjoyed our stay or not. Other than that we loved our stay and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Many thanks for your fantastic review and I am glad you enjoyed your recent visit to the Torrance Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Our wedding at the Torrance hotel was excellent. Staff were very friendly and professional. The room for the meal was decorated perfect and food was very good both at the meal and buffet. Honeymoon suite was fabulous and very relaxing after a super day. Guests commented on how goodd the venue was and the rooms for those who stayed received great comments. Thanks to the staff team for providing an excellent venue and great day.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Many thanks for your fantastic review regarding your wedding at theTorrance Hotel It was a great day and it was a pleasure to be part of such a special occasion and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have visited this restaurant often in the last year and the food is always excellent, the staff friendly and attentive. The bar Area was very busy and lively the atmosphere was great. The food and drink are pricey however well worth a visit on a special occasion.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Spent a lovely afternoon here having lunch for my mum's birthday. We came last year for her birthday so decided to do the same again this year. Love this hotel, it has been beautifully refurbished and has a lovely ambiance. The service and food were excellent as always. Cant wait to return again very soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Torrance Hotel? Share your experiences!