“Beautiful upgrade to hotel”
Review of Torrance Hotel

Torrance Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed here on September 7 with a voucher from Itison for a double room b/b with a free bottle of wine in the room for only £49. The hotel bedrooms have been refurbished to a very high standard. Check in was very quick and we got our room at 2pm instead of the stated 3pm time. We had lunch in the bar, burger and chips for me and fish and chips for my husband. We both enjoyed it very much. This hotel is so modern with lots of big flatscreen t.v's jotted about. They have a DJ on a Saturday night and the place is very busy. I can't wait to go back for another luxury stay. On the downside, the breakfast service was far too slow. The food is worth waiting on. We both had eggs benedict which was delicious, though the chef had forgotten to include the bacon. When pointed out to the waiter he brought some from the kitchen on a lovely hot plate. We for sure will be back.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen M
Garrie R, General Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Many thanks for your fantastic review and I am glad you enjoyed your recent visit to the Torrance Hotel. I have taken onboard your feedback regarding the breakfast service and have already taken steps to ensure this is not repeated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Spent a night here this week on business. The rooms along with the rest of the hotel has just had a full refurb. The quality of the rooms are 1st class. Large Tv, docking station ,fridge, comfy bed great colours, not to mention a Tunnocks Tea cake and Carmel Wafer instead of the usual dull shortbread. Staff were friendly, bar and restaurant were busy and breakfast very tasty. This hotel has created a winning combination and The Torrance is surely the place to be seen in East Kilbride. Good luck and I will be back sometime soon.

Room Tip: They are all great
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PGL051107

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Many thanks for your fantastic review and I am glad you enjoyed your recent visit to the Torrance Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I got married in the Torrance on 3rd August 2013......what can I say....the hotel and staff were marvelous from start to finish! I arrived the night before the wedding and immediately was introduced to Gary the hotel manager who spent a good while talking about the next day's details, organising our music and generally putting my mind at ease about the whole thing! The next day it was all hands to the pump with all the excellent staff ensuring that we and our guests had a terrific day. Gary was tremendous, he kept things flowing from early morning to last thing at night (and indeed the next day). We genuinely felt welcome, the food was great and the rooms were fantastic, especially the honeymoon suite (which I was conducting tours in throughout the evening) which has to be seen to be believed! !
In conclusion, I can't recommend this hotel highly enough if you're thinking of a possible wedding venue. I've still to find any of our guests who disagree, they were all extremely impressed with the venue itself and particularly the staff. On that note my wife and I would like to thank the staff for really taking care of us during our time there and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Room Tip: One with a jacuzzi
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Graeme M

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Many thanks for your fantastic review regarding your wedding at theTorrance Hotel It was a great day and it was a pleasure to be part of such a special occasion and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Firstly we chose the Torrance Hotel Honey Moon Suite after searching booking.com for somewhere slightly different to spend our 11 year Wedding Anniversary ( and have some time out from our 4 children) We are frequent travellers and enjoy staying in luxury boutique type hotels. After reading previous reviews for the Torrance we decided to give it a go so that we could make up our own mind.

First impressions were lovely looking hotel, we weren't told at reception about breakfast times etc but this wasn't a major problem as there was a welcome folder in the room, however the receptionist did say that someone would come up to our room to show us how everything worked... No-one arrived but again this wasn't a problem as everything was pretty self explanatory.

Overall impression of the honey moon suite was very nice. I do have some small issues with the room and that is you would expect to have bathrobes & slippers since you have a sauna, steam room, shower & jacuzzi this would be standard in a malmaison suite. My other issue being we got our room at a reduced rate of £300 per night but for this sort of price you would expect either your mini bar to be complimentary in your room, or even a complimentary bottle of wine/champage & free bottled water, again this would be standard in most boutique hotels.

The room is right next to a function suite which on the Saturday night we found to be a problem as the noise level was horrendous our walls were vibrating with the music. Sunday night this was not the case as there was no function on but we were woken on a number of occasions with guests making to and from their rooms & the fire door constantly banging closed.

On our first night we ate in the restaurant which we found to be ok, the food was a little on the pub grub side but nice & reasonably priced and the staff were all attentive. Breakfast we could not fault.

After our meal we headed to our room where we had a problem with the plumbing our toilet starting overflowing drastically where the water started leaking through onto reception, we were grabbing towels to try & mop up as much water as we could before all of our clothes that were in the drawers got ruined. The staff were very quickly on scene & extremely apologetic & helpful.

We left the room so that they could sort things out therefore they gave us complimentary drinks while waiting, the manager Garrie came over promptly and explained the situation to us & offered us our 2nd night for free and a return night for free. Which we thought was a nice gesture for our inconvenience.

On our 2nd night (Sunday) we had no problems with the plumbing everything had been fixed, there were some small issues with housekeeping ie buckets hasn't been emptied, carpets hadn't been hoovered, when we were packing all of our belonging to leave we discovered a french fry on the bottom of the bed frame which was a little off putting as it clearly states the cleaner isn't thoroughly cleaning, we never ordered any food to our room therefore we have no idea how long it had been there.

All in all the hotel is nice & is well worth a visit especially the honey moon suite. Don't be put off by the negative reviews, we feel that we were just unlucky at the time.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank CL59REB
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Booked the Torrance hotel for our anniversary.

Were welcomed when we arrived and taken to our seats in the conservatory which had asked for,
The waitress was very helpful and friendly and the meal and wine to follow was first class, and we both just about managed to finish the lovely desert.
I would highly recommend the Torrance but make sure you ask to be seated in the conservatory,
This was not our first visit and definitely will not be our last.
Jim & Sandra Paterson

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jim P
Garrie R, General Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel has only recently been fully re-developed - to an exceptionally luxurious standard. Nothing has been missed. Absolutely nothing. I have stayed here in the past and not a single thing from those days remains. This is my third or so visit since the re-development. I highly recommend this place, and I will be back!

The rooms are simply beautiful, with lovely big TVs with loads of (free to view) channels, excellent picture and sound quality. The new double-glazed windows are reassuringly expensive, and well fitted, and the beds are comfortable, and again, ooze luxury.

The bathroom was small in the room I stayed in - but perfectly alright for one. Other rooms have bigger bathrooms - ask reception. Again, the hotel has chucked money at the place with very nice fittings, a great shower and nice yummy soft towels.

The restaurant was put in a year or so ago, and I find the food well-priced and delicious. (There is lots of competition in the village for your evening meal, and the Torrance has responded well, and with keen process). Service was good, with friendly staff. On this trip the restaurant was very busy, and I noticed new staff - presumably to cope with the demand.

The breakfast is cooked to order, and again, I found it to be to a high standard.

The staff here have increased considerably (I think), but the gentleman who serves breakfast in the mornings deserves particular praise for being great company, and always very friendly and helpful.

I got the "£150 card charge" when I arrived, too - and this seems new. However, it isn't actually a charge - they simply ask the bank to hold the money just in case it is needed (bank authorisation). Most hotels do something similar nowadays. Don't worry - if you don't spend, it is in not taken from your account.

So, if you want true luxury and nice friendly staff, I would recommend a look here. Make sure that you call for room rates.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Lionel T D

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I visited the hotel after purchasing a deal voucher for a £49 overnight stay with breakfast, in the newly refurbished hotel. The check-in made me feel a little odd, as they require a £150 credit card pre-authorisation. The room was, however, decorated to a very high standard. Unfortunately, they had not let the air circulate through the room, and this made for an uncomfortable night as we could not breathe with the fumes emanating from all the new decor! We dined in the conservatory, and the food and service was very good. Breakfast was less impressive. I had an apple, which was not fresh, and the eggs benedict was average. My husband had the full breakfast, which he also said was about average. We paid the bill for our dinner and drinks in cash - £90. Overall, the hotel will hopefully improve and perhaps they will air out the rooms a little.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kirsty H

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

We have taken your comments on board regarding the £150 pre auth and we have now changed this to the room rate and a £30 per night pre auth to cover any incidentals.

Many thanks for the positive comments regarding the refurbishment and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Torrance in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
Holiday Inn East Kilbride
#6 of 7 in East Kilbride
Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Premier Inn Glasgow East Kilbride (Nerston Toll) Hotel

Been to Torrance Hotel? Share your experiences!