“Dated and gloomy”

Torrance Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
“Dated and gloomy”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Although the restaurant and bar have been refurnished half of the rooms are not, I new this was the case when booking so specifically asked for a new room which I was assured I would get only to find this was not the case and I was in an older room which was dark and gloomy, tatty and dated the corridor leading to my room had areas of carpet missing and wooden planks in its place very unsatisfactory, I actually felt like I was staying in a completely deferent hotel'

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank B23z
Garrie R, General Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Guest,

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

As you stated in your review we have advertised the rooms as being in the middle of refurbishment and the rate that you paid reflected this.

All our rooms are being refurbished on the 29th April to the same high standard of the rest of the hotel.

Many thanks for your positive comments regarding the standard of the rest of the hotel.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Torrance Hotel in the near future.

Garrie Ross

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We had an amazing stay at the Torrance. 3 adults and 2 children under 3yrs. The staff were amazing. Kevin the breakfast waiter and the receptionist were helpful, friendly and lovely. The room was massive and we were offered fresh towels and sheets every day. The staff were lovely with the kids. The receptionist gave me a tour of the honeymoon suite which made me want to get married again. We had a lovely get together in the bar for the quiz and it was great fun. Can't recommend The Torrance enough. AMAZING!!

Room Tip: If you want a treat, the honeymoon suite is well worth the price.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rexy38
Garrie R, General Manager at Torrance Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor Guest,

Firstly thanks for taking the time to write your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your recent visit to the Torrance Hotel and many thanks for such a positive review.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Garrie Ross.
Renfrewshire
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Honeymoon Spa at the Torrance Hotel on Saturday 16th March. It is 5* luxury. The bedroom area is downstairs with a large TV at the end of the bed, then up the spiral staircase there is another room which includes a sunken Jacuzzi, flat screen TV, sauna, steam room with shower. Even the mood lighting is remote controlled.

After we spend the afternoon in our private Spa we ate in the Conservatory area, I had salmon and my husband had fillet steak, the staff were very friendly and attentive, the food was piping hot and very tasty.

After dinner we made our way in to the bar area where we enjoyed listening to the resident DJ.

We had a great nights sleep on a very comfortable bed with lovely feather and down duvet and pillows.

A full cooked breakfast for my husband and tailored veggie breakfast for me was the cherry on the cake to a very very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SandraScott

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review .

Many thanks for your fantastic review and I am glad you enjoyed your recent visit to the Torrance Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

scotland
Reviewed April 6, 2013

stayed Easter Sunday having never stayed in this hotel. check in was quick, room was very clean though due to be refurbished. Had no hot water but when spoke with reception it was rectified immediately, so helpful even visiting the room to make sure it was fixed. great nights sleep. Dinner from the 'set menu' had lots of choices for 1 'fussy' eater! Waiting staff so friendly! Food great. Breakfast was a beautiful full Scottish, lovely and fresh, poached eggs no problem! Very central and new decor was beautiful. We attended the Soul night, excellent. would defo recommend this. DJ Stevie Lennon was on great form, would visit again if in the area many thanks. The manager was very helpful and hands on. Function room was gorgeous, with underfloor lights on the dance floor, Beautiful

Room Tip: apparently there is a fantastic honeymoon suite with all the luxury touches
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank waiting4God

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Me and my daughter had a booking for 3 nights recently and found our visit very pleasant. The staff were friendly and approachable. Kevin the general assistant who served us breakfast every morning, was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. Nothing was too much effort and he went out of his way to make sure we were well looked after. The food in the restaurant was first class and the prices were very reasonable. Our flight out on the last day was very early and the night porter ensured we were made a hot drink and some breakfast before we left, again an example of great service.
The only criticism we have is that the room we stayed in did not have suitable sound proofing. We could hear the guest above who was very noisy when walking up and down. We appreciate that the rooms are due to be refurbished over the next year and we would not hesitate to stay in the hotel again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room number 8 due to noise levels.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank joycep894

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We had a brilliant night at the Torrance Hotel. The food was lovely and very reasonably priced. It was a bit slow in coming out but there were loads of people there so that was maybe expected. Perhaps the management could take food orders before people arrive so they are prepared. Décor was lovely and the ladies toilets were to die for with plenty of space for your handbag. Very friendly and accommodating staff. Gael (the party girl) had a great night and we couldn't have wished for more. I would have given it 5 stars if not for the waiting for food. The Korean Lionel was great too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Deacon_Brodie1303

East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was in the restaurant last night for a 70th birthday meal. In total there were 12 of us and we were eating from the the 3 course £21-95 set menu. The food itself I found very nice. I had the haggis, neeps and tatties in a filo basket and the only complaint was that the haggis was a bit on the cool side but it was very tasty. Main course was a medium cooked steak and it was cooked perfectly for me. Desert was sticky toffee pudding and it was really nice. The complaints were regarding the length of time it took to serve each course. We were advised on arrival that there would be a slightly longer than normal wait for being served due to the number of large sittings. Slightly longer than normal was a gross understatement!! We waited almost 20 minutes to be served our main course. Now in my opinion, if you know you are going to have a large number of sittings, you bring in the staff to accommodate that. The waiting staff were fantastic and I couldn't fault them but they needed more staff in the kitchen. A well run restaurant wouldn't have this problem

Overall, the food was nice but it wasn't worth the money. I can think of other restaurants that would've gave you nicer food and you would've had more for your money. This is a overpriced restaurant and I won't be back. It does look fantastic after its refurbishment though.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Cameron4
Dear TripAdvisor Guest,

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Here at the Torrance Hotel we pride ourselves on producing a high standard service and quality of food and at busy times such as a Saturday night we feel that 20 minutes wait for a main course is not excessive.

Regarding the cost of the food we are very competitive in the local market and £21.95 for the 3 course menu that you chose was a group menu based on 10 people or more and the dishes contained on this menu are our highest priced starters and mains. However I would like to confirm at the time of booking you were offered a choice of 3 group menus with the cheapest starting at just£14.95 per person.

Many thanks for the positive comments regarding the quality of the food you said you received on the night.

We thank for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Torrance Hotel in the near future.

Garrie Ross

Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Torrance Hotel? Share your experiences!