“Beautiful surroundings but service leaves a lot to be desired”
Review of Torrance Hotel

Torrance Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
Scotland
“Beautiful surroundings but service leaves a lot to be desired”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I have dined in both the lounge bar and the restaurant and not found either to be a particularly satisfactory experience. This in no reflection on quality of the food - which is lovely. However, more to do with the management of the place. Our bar meal experience, although tasty, was marred by the inability of the waiter to communicate the last orders time to us so we nearly didn't get any food despite telling him that we were going to wait and enjoy our wine before ordering!

I was impressed though by the decor and general ambiance of the place soI then decided to return with my daughter to see if the 'restaurant' was any better - it wasn't. We waited nearly twenty five minutes before asking a waiter where our starters were (more than patient I think as we were only having pate). He returned to say that there had been a technical error between the waiting staff entering the order and the kitchen receiving it and gave us a complimentary glass of wine - fair enough. However, our enjoyment was further detracted from by the sheer noise of chattered from neighbouring groups of diners and by the 'background music'. We asked to be moved from the conservatory to the main dining room as I believe other diners had done only to be met with a similar problem. There is no dividing wall to speak of between the lounge bar and the the conservatory is also open plan therefore the dining room wasn't much quieter. To add to this, a singer came on obviously using a mic and this was the last straw for me - I just wanted to get out.

If you are looking for a 'pubby' type experience with loud music and bustle this is the place for you. However, if you want to go for a quiet meal where you can hear your dining partner speak then I would recommend that you either go here through the week or not at all. We were there on a Friday night.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank scottishtraveller099

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I am not normally given to sending this type of e-mail but having read some of the comments previously submitted felt that I simply had to respond. At the end of last month I spent an entirely enjoyable Saturday afternoon at the Torrance, celebrating my daughters thirty-something birthday. Our party of eleven comprised of eight adults and three children had the kind of dining out experience one always hopes for but will only occasionally experience.
The relaxed atmosphere reminded me of the best features of French and Italian restaurants where staff acknowledge that eating is a social activity and that people enjoy having time to talk as well as eat. The food was excellent in terms of quality,quantity and price and the professionalism of the staff group was evidenced in their knowledge of menu items,ability to help customers relax and courtesy shown not only to our party but the others round about us.
I will certainly visit again and encourage others to do so.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

Dont go there if you are in a hurry. Shocking and very slow service. Shame as when the food finally arrived it was very nice

• Stayed January 2012
6 Thank 34tm
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We booked an 18th birthday party for our daughter. Everything was arranged for us, so it took the stress out of organising a big function. The service was excellent and the staff could not have been more helpful. The food for the buffet was really tasty and the DJ was excellent. We had a wonderful time and an unforgetable party for our daughter. Some of the family stayed the night and the rooms were warm and comfortable. In the morning we had a yummy breakfast freshly cooked and with delicious toast and the waitress was very pleasant. The staff helped us carry the hoards of birthday presents out to the car before we left.
Thanks to everyone involved.

2 Thank sheila h
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I attended to so-called Lady Gaga tribute night on Friday the 2nd December, which was the worst night out I have had in 25 years. There were several points to which I wish to draw your attention.

1. We booked for a table of 4, on arriving we discovered that we had been sat along with 5 other women whom we did not know. The table was a large round table which meant that the 4 of us were spread out and could not converse at all other than with the person beside us.
2. The pillars in the room made it impossible to have a clear view of the dance floor.
3. The so –called Sparkling wine on arrival tasted like lukewarm cheap plonk
4. 2 members of our party were slightly delayed due to transport problems, nevertheless we were hassled by the waitresses to order our food. I ended up calling my 2 friends and reading out the menu to them in order to keep the waitress happy. They had to forego their welcome drink.
5. The food was passable at best – served on smaller plates to give the impression of a decent amount
6. 2 of our group had to wait 20 minutes before finally asking if we were in fact about to have a dessert.
7. For £36 the least I would expect would be a table drinks service, but no, just as in a normal bar you had to queue at the bar.

This is only a part of the story covering the food and general set-up, next we get on to the so called Lady Gaga tribute

1. The attempt to look like Lady Gaga was wearing a long blond wig and sunglasses!!!
2. Part way through the first section the amp blew , Lady Gaga stormed off. We complained to a Susan Miller, whose attitude was “ it’s her equipment, nothing to do with us” – I’m sorry but it is everything to do with you – you hired her and regardless it is your responsibility to deliver what you promise.
3. The girl singing was no better than a karaoke singer, nobody danced during her act. It would have been better to keep the disco on all night rather than waste time with her performance.

As I said, this was the worst night out I have had in years. Charging £36 per head is all very well if it is worth the money i.e. I attended a recent black tie dance in the Holiday Inn for less money but by far a superior night.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank Gail B
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Myself and my family recently enjoyed a family dinner at the newly refurbished hotel. As a large party we were very well accommodated and felt very comfortable in the conservatory at the front.The service was excellent and very efficient in catering for a rather large party. the quality of the food and the portion size was excellent (we ordered off the ala carte menu) the waitress Stephanie looking after our table and the rest of the tables in the conservatory done very well and was very attentive. I will definitely recommend this to family and friends and will most definitely be returning and keeping it in mind for further occasions.

glasgow
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I went to the Torrance Hotel with my fiance and his family for his graduation dinner. The staff were very helpful and attentive. The food was fast and efficient had no problems with it what so ever. Will be returning to the Torrance Hotel in the future. I will be telling my friends and other family members about the Torrance Hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Boclair House Hotel
Boclair House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bearsden

Been to Torrance Hotel? Share your experiences!