Macdonald Crutherland House
Torrance Hotel(East Kilbride)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
1,511 results
All reviewsspa breaklovely groundsspa areasauna and steam roomspa staffon arrivalleisure facilitiescountry parklovely hotelrelaxing stayan overnight staybed and breakfastevening mealwedding receptionexecutive roomrestaurant stafffollowing morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I booked a one night stay here as a birthday surprise for my partner so we could take in nearby shopping facilities and have a nice relaxing evening. We weren't disappointed. The room offered plenty of space and was spotlessly clean. The view wasn't brilliant, but neither of us are obsessed with what's to be seen outside a hotel window! We enjoyed a relaxing swim and some time in the steam room before dinner in the cocktail lounge. The menu was the same as we'd enjoyed during a previous stay at MacDonald Holyrood in the spring, but the tuna loin and salad and fish & chips were ample in portion and tasty. The breakfast buffet was fully stocked and the poached eggs were cooked to delicious perfection. Staff were friendly and helpful from the moment of arrival to check out. The "country house" decor might not be to everyone's taste, but since it is described in the promotional materials as "country house," one shouldn't be surprised that that's what they offer. I'd certainly recommend it to others and will stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2010

My husband organised a weekend away at this hotel - I was a bit dubious because I have never found Mcdonald hotels to be that good but on this occasion I was delighted with everything! When we arrived we were given a room which was not to our liking (beside a very noisy lift) and when we asked for a change we were accommodated very efficiently and without any fuss.
But the two things which made this hotel stand out for us was the excellent swimming Pool and the breakfast. The pool is an excellent size for a hotel and allowed for a good swim supplimented admirably with a spacious sauna and steam room.
The standard of the breakfast provision was very high. When it comes to cooked breakfast you place your order with the waitress and it is brought to you freshly prepared - an suprising experience in a hotel this size as i was expecting the usual hot plate dried up offering. I like the fat cut off my bacon and asked for that and was very pleased to get exactly that when it was brought to me! Well done Crutherland House!!

1  Thank smileme2you
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Our second stay in this hotel which is in a handy location for East Kilbride and city centre. Rooms are clean and fairly well appointed although the TV's need updating as they were tiny old fashioned things! Staff very pleasant and housekeeping service is always very prompt. Usually busy at weekends with weddings but we have stayed in the same part of the hotel on 2 occasions now and no noise was heard from revellers afterwards which is a bonus. Big disappointment is the small things that make all the difference from an good hotel to a great one:-
We booked for dinner the other night and were given a lovely seat at a window but the view outside was of a big blank patch of grass(which had been half mowed) and not a flower or shrub in sight. It doesnt take much to transform a garden view with a few flower pots or basic landscaping. The same could be said for the immediate outside grounds - a bit of floral colour wouldnt go amiss. Also, attention to details on the dining tables were much lacking. They were sparse faux wooden tops which would have looked much better with a nice crisp white tablecloth and a small flower bud vase or candle or both(especially in the evening as the atmosphere was a bit 'cold'). Food was just OK but pricey. On our last morning we asked for an early breakfast to catch our flight home. We were offered a continental breakfast only and this needed to be room service as the kitchen wasnt going to be open. They charged us £3.00 extra for this despite having prepaid for full bed and breakfast which was a bit unnecessary. That said, the staff were very friendly, rooms were very clean and the pool and spa were a bonus. I think the Macdonald group will have to 'up the anti' on the smaller details now that they have competition on their doorstep with the Carnbooth Hotel just opened up the road.

Reviewed August 22, 2010

My friend and I arrived here for a night's stay and to use the beauty spa for treatments, rooms were nice and clean, but we had mainly travelled for the spa. I booked this over 2 weeks ago and confirmed at the time for all our treatments, I got a call that morning at 11am to say our treatments were suppose to start at 11am and why weren't we there! I called straight away to inform them they had made a mistake and our treatments were at 12pm! I asked to speak to the manager as I wasn't happy she said there must have been a mix up and could only apologise but if we could come just now we wouldn't get our full treatment but they would squeeze us in, not even an offer of a half price treatment because of this we just left in disgust after that! My advice is to check and double check your times for the spa if you are thinking about visiting this hotel

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We had to stay over in Glasgow to meet my son. We chose this hotel as a special treat as it looked realy nice. It was clean but no different in design as any motorway services room which was disappointing, just more classic furniture. The main problem was the room service and restaurant. We were going to eat in and booked a table. When we went down to eat the place was full . I was cramped and full of a coach party. We cancelled and went to a local Indian restaurant which was realy nice. The following morning we went down to breakfast early , it was full again with the coach party. People were waiting for a seat and complaining. We were in a hurry so had to eat in the lobby. We would have ordered room service but it cost £3 per person for breakfast and £5 per person for dinner ,which we felt too steep and should be free considering the food is not cheap. We would not stay there again.