“Superbreak, literally”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Got a gift voucher for Christmas and with some sense of dismay found it had to be taken locally. As it was we found Crutherland House and stayed overnight during the Easter Holidays. What a gem. The grounds are stunning, being located next to Calderglen Country park, itself well worth a few hours.

First impressions are good, staff are friendly, chatty and seem to genuinely quite like their job, always good to see! The rooms are of a very high standard. But what really sets the place apart is the Spa Facilities, which are phenomenal. We enjoyed a couple of Spa treatments before using the gym, which was really well equipped, and also being part of a health club offered classes to guests, and the large pool. The food was very good, and the staff were warm and friendly.

Lovely, we shall return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
GMcrutherland, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the spa facilities.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Visited on 21st February for a belated valentines, it was an amazing experience. First of all the directions via the postcode are kind of misleading as it's not really marked up very well as it's a busy bunch of roads then a small road but the views are breathtaking when you arrive.
during the evening I was looking forward to a dip in the pool (but it was being cleaned so that was a shame since I was only staying one night) but I did enjoy the steam room and sauna.
Me and my partner also enjoyed the restaurant food, it was divine but small portioned and a little pricey but worth it. We stayed in the deluxe double with complimentary wine and snacks. it was amazing for what we got really, staff were polite and courteous and we really enjoyed our stay. Only downside was the pool not being open and not a huge amount of entertainment.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
GMcrutherland, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my sincere apologises regarding the pool.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Visited March 2014 with my mum and aunt for the spa day with afternoon tea as a mothers day treat having been before and really enjoyed it! This time though was different we were booked in for our treatments with one having a facial another a massage which were both good but my aunt opted for a manicure which was quite a poor finish with bits of the nails left unpainted and others smudged! When we arrived in the morning we scheduled to have our afternoon tea at 2! Our treatments ran over a bit so was about 2.15 by the time we arrived for tea only 2 tables in the area could accommodate our party size as all the rest only sat 2 people .... one of the larger tables was occupied so we sat at the other which needed cleaning from the previous people there were 3 people standing at the counter none of whom made any effort to clear the table. Our food then arrived and still no table cleared as yet .... They then cleared the table by moving all the dirty dishes from our table on to another vacant table we then asked if it would be possible for the table to be wiped as there was food still on it as they started to bring over our tea at which point they used a dry napkin to flick the crumbs etc on to the floor .... the afternoon tea itself was pretty poor 7 of 12 sandwiches were tuna and some sat on the top of the other sandwiches so the brine ended up running in to those making them soggy and not pleasant if you don't like tuna. Scones however were delicious! After leaving the unpleasant experience was still playing on my mind so made a call and spoke to the duty manager as didn't want anyone alse to experience the same who said she would look into it however we really should have complained at the time and they were very busy that day which really seems more of an excuse and if too busy to offer every customer the same service .... shouldnt take as many bookings. She then said the general manager wasn't available but after she looked into it would get them to call me back. After 3 days with no call I called back to be told the general manager was unavailable but would return my call .... still no call back I called again to be told the same and yet 3 weeks later still no call

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank shinystar5552

Good afternoon,

My name is Lindsey Randall and I am the new General Manager here at the Crutherland House. Can I possibly ask you to contact me on 01355 577000 to discuss your issues further please

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed here a couple of months ago and really liked it. The pool is great, the staff are lovely, and the food is really good. The only thing I'd say is that the prices are pretty dear.... We live locally and have come for Christmas dinner the last few years (but won't be going back to that either) - the prices keep going up and up and up! It's a shame as it's such a nice place but for this price I can near enough go to London! It's in East Kilbride, not Chelsea, so here is no need to charge £18 for 2 drinks :). I'm engaged and already this place is off my radar as I know what they charge for drinks. People attending weddings don't like to spend that - for anyone's information, the most recent wedding I was at was at a rugby club that shall remain nameless - as cheap as chips, and the best wedding any of us had been to :). Love the Crutherland but bring down your prices, please.

Room Tip: Bring your own bottle.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Enchantedprincess

Thank you for leaving a review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read that you love the Crutherland. I am in the process of carrying out a competitor analysis of similar 4 star properties in the area and it would appear that our prices are on par with those. However, I am just new in the role and it is certainly something I will look at in more detail.

I would be delighted to personally show you and your finance around the hotel and go over wedding packages with you. We can tailor make packages just for you as every couple is different. Please email me on gm.crutherland@macdonald-hotels.co.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a 5pm deal on a dinner bed and breakfast with a bottle of wine. We arrived early but got checked in and got room straight away. Room was lovely and clean and enough space with a sofa and armchair. Leisure facilities were good and clean and not too busy. Dinner was excellant and i has my wine waiting at the table. Breakfast was very good lots to choose and served to you. Not a buffet apart from cereal fruit etc. Nice touch gettin a wee plate of sweets with happy anniversary on it. Overall great stay with great staff. Will rerurn!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words on trip advisor.

I have a very good team here who all work very hard and really appreciate when people take the time to acknowledge this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here whilst at a friends wedding. Very nice. Room was spacious, immaculate and warm. The wedding was superb with attention to detail and staff were helpful. Service was great. Only blip was couldn't get a sandwich when we arrived as the kitchen was too busy!!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I am glad you found our staff to be helpful. I have passed your comments regarding the sandwich to our Head Chef to investigate.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Booked this hotel for my husband and I last minute so we weren't too sure what to expect.
It's it a nice quiet location although the sat nav did take us a little off course but once we arrived we were greeted by a friendly lady at reception and given our room.
The room was a nice size with plenty of room, the view or the car park not so great and we did have to keep the curtains/blind closed most of the time. The beds were VERY comfy!!
As we arrived quite late we decided to eat in the restaurant the food was nice but maybe slightly expensive and the service was a little slow.
We did use room service for a late night dessert which was tasty but they didn't seem to keen to take our order.
We had to leave quite early so didn't get to use the facilities but we had a look around as it was set out nice and the decor is very well done.
On checking out it was quick but the once lady on reception did choose to ignore us and instead serve the people standing behind us but another lady did notice this and checked us out instead. She was helpful and friendly as the restaurant had over charged us.
A nice place but some staff let it down.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor with car park view.....
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on trip advisor.

I am pleased to hear you found the beds very comfy.

I have taken on board the comment regarding certain staff members attitude. I can assure you that this is not the normal standard we strive for in our daily routines and is certainly not what we are all trained for. I have addressed the issue seriously with the relevant departments and can assure you that appropriate action will be taken with the relevant people to rectify the issues that you have brought to my attention.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Hopefully this time you will have more time to enjoy the leisure facilities.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
New Lanark Mill Hotel
Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!