“Shame about the view”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Shame about the view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed here with friends for a short break. The room was clean and although well presented, the wood in the bathroom was in need of refurbishment. The room overlooked the roof of the dining room and kitchens with only the tops of trees visible in the distance. All staff were extemely helpful, the food was excellent and far exceeded our expectation. The even numbered rooms on the first floor seem to have a much better outlook so be sure to ask when you book.
We would go back here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear cath038

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read your postive comments regarding our food the staff,I have passed on your kind remarks to the team here at the hotel.

A small number of our rooms do overlook the restaurant roof but most either look onto the grounds at the East facing side of the hotel or at the main entrance.

Thank you once again for your comments and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Eileen Newman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I actually booked this hotel by mistake thinking that it was near the Glasgow city centre. I was turned off when I came to know that its 40 minutes drive from the city. So this hotel is ideal for weekend family getaways. The rooms are very elegant and well designed compared to Hiltons and Holiday Inns. Its traditional scottish interior design impress everybody no matter what their taste is. The interiors have a lot of real wooden finishing, so it looks very elegant. I was staying in a superior room and it was very big compared to other Macdonald hotels which I stayed. The staff are very helpful and they offer great customer service. The room service at the hotel is one of the best. But the only problem is this hotel is in a very isolated location. If you are a overseas tourist and not having a car, it will be difficult for you to get to the hotel. Overall this is great for family trips for people who have their own car. Its very luxurious and value for money and would like to come here again.

Room Tip: Stay in the 1st floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Baruch_Hashem613

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you found our staff to be very helpful and enjoyed your Executive room.

I have passed on your kind comments to the team here at the hotel who are delighted to have been of service to you.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Booked at the last minute as the hotel I usually use was full. Arrived at 22:30, the check in process (not the person) was a little slow but the service was very professional and friendly. David knew from the company name where I was heading and offered a wake up call/taxi for the next morning. Large room in very good condition, classic rather than modern in style. Very quiet location and comfy bed.

The lady in charge of breakfast was very good, perfect combination of professionlism/friendliness. Good cold buffet selection and a very nice plated hot breakfast.

I was checked out by David who checked me in who remembered my name/room number and offered directions to my place of work - clearly a pro delivering excellent service at the end of a long overnight shift.

Cannot comment on evening meal/drink prices. £3 charge for credit cards a little odd.

All in all a very good stay, I will defintely use the hotel again even though it's much further from where I work than the one I've used previously.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank matthewjfarrar
Dear matthewjfarrar

Many thanks for your positive review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I was delighted to read your kind comments regarding the service and I have passed on your remarks to the staff and David in particular.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

wigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

we liked this hotel.

it has a lovely lounge, can spend hours in there chilling out.

Bar is quite nice- barman very helpful too

NEED TO MAKE POINT ABOUT RIPOFF MACDONALD HOTEL DRINK PRICES- NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL!

Breakfast very good. We were pleasantly surprised about quality of evening meal.

Staff good, helpful and friendly.

Pool is nice- is a lovely wooded area too.

Room was nice. Nice furnishings and spacey for a basic priced room

Only problem was the (very) noisy bathroom fan

We liked this hotel

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear saurusWigan

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and enjoyed our food.

In terms of our bar prices we are in line with hotels of the same four star standard in the area. Please accept my apologies if we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

I've just returned from a lovely day/night at this hotel.I only mark the service down due to the fact that at breakfast we were told to wait 10 mins for a table and were forgotten about and it was half an hour before we were eventually seated.They just seemed totally unorganised ,all the fruit juice containers were empty, I got the wrong breakfast but took what they brought as I was by this time starving,There were quite a few others complaining ,shame as they were trying their best,think the hotel could have done with having more staff at breakfast due to a wedding party being booked in.Our evening meal in the restaurant was lovely and the staff were very attentive.My daughter and I had an amazing massage treatment in the Spa where all the staff were very helpful and friendly.Bedroom was very comfortable and clean.Would definitely like to come back when the hotel has completed the new refurbishment of the Spa as the plans in the foyer are quite impressive.

• Stayed November 2013
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear fee60

Please accept my apologies for the problems that you experienced during breakfast service, these are not indicative of our normal high standards.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and the spa treatments and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back when our new spa is complete.

Southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We arrived here and were checked in very quickly, our room which was comfortable enough and very clean. Overall I would not hesitate in coming back as it is a lovely location to stay and has a real warmth about the place. We had a lovely breakfast, served by a couple of charming girls who had a bit of humour about them which is lovely to see these days. Luckily enough we had time to use the Spa, my partner and I both had massages which were second to none, a truly fabulous experience, all the Spa staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. Afternoon cream tea was included as part of our room rate, this would have been lovely had it not been for the huge TV in the bar showing music/sports channels. Such a lovely period property with people trying to enjoy each others company and this going on in the corner of the room, who thought this was a good idea needs to think again. That aside the cream tea was lovely and very generous. All the staff we met during our stay were very friendly and polite, The hotel was supposed to have free Wi-Fi, I tried for ages to connect various devices with no luck, I mentioned this later on our first evening only to be told that due to weather conditions Wi-Fi to the rooms there was a problem with, but that I could connect in the reception area. It would have been helpful to have been told upon booking in and not wasted ages trying to configure it. Not a huge issue for us, but many business travellers found it a major issue.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trixiee38
Dear trixiee38

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your kind words to the breakfast team.

I note your comments regarding the TV in the bar and I do apologise if there were issues with the wifi during your stay.

I am pleased to read that you would return and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Stirling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

My partner booked a spa package they offered for my birthday but the spa and facial were not honored and we had to pay again. Despite forwarding the booking confirmation and numerous complaints we have had no response. Marred what was otherwise a lovely stay and had they actually ever responded to us would have had a better review. Just make sure you print everything off with proof if you book their packaged otherwise you will probably just get charged like we did. Real shame.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear LucindaKP

I would like to apologise for the problems that you experienced regarding the spa element of your stay. I understand that this has now been resolved by Laura, to your satisfaction.

Please accept my apologies for this isolated incident and I do hope that this will not deter you from returning to the hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
#13 of 96 in Glasgow
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,561 reviews
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!