“Overpriced and Tired”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Very tired looking hotel. The first thing you notice when arriving is all the paint falling off the front entrance.
Attended a wedding there recently and was astounded at their bar prices. Everybody was talking about it and how it was spoiling their evening. You expect these prices in five star hotels but not a run down 3star.
Rooms are in need of attention. Cracks on ceilings. Shower leaked flooding bathroom. Plug in sink does not fit. No wifi!
We stayed in room 203. Do not stay there. this is right next to lift and all you hear is the lift motor constantly. They know this but continue to put guests in there and try to look surprised when you complain about it. Was offered another room but told sink had a crack in it and leaked. Lovely.
Fire alarm went off at 6am. I notice this is a common theme here. No apology given or discount offered. So with lift motor and fire alarm no sleep that night.
I also notice Eileen the Manager does add comments to some reviews but they are just cut and pasted as same response to every review. Clearly not interested.
The one good thing going for them was Iain the Banqueting Manager. Great at his job and an asset to the hotel.
Overall this hotel needs money spent improving it and stop charging your guests over the odds for below average bar service and whilst your at it fix your fire alarm sensors as you clearly have a problem there.
Definitely would not recommend this hotel now. Has potential to be a great hotel again but management need to take notice of the comments people are leaving here and telling you at reception.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank scottishskier
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Scottishskier

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

Delivering the highest standards of service to all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I do apologise if this was not the case on this occasion. I assure you that I respond to every review individually and take action on guest feedback without fail.

I have only recently taken over the hotel and we have a full new management team here including Iain, our Conference and Banqueting Manager, and I have passed your kind comments on to him personally.

If you would like to contact me at the hotel directly I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Crutherland House

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Have just spent 3 night break at the Crutherland House Hotel (Macdonalds) in East Kilbride. What a good choice! Excellent bedrooms, fine food and wonderful staff. Very handily placed for Glasgow and the areas to the north such as the Trossachs, etc. The staff at the hotel were unfailingly smiling and very helpful, which made our short break a pleasure. We would recommend this hotel without reservation!

Room Tip: We found our room at the back of the hotel on the 2nd floor to be quiet and peaceful with views over...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline G
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear Jacqueline G

Many thanks for the very positive comments that you have posted following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am pleased that you found the bedrooms excellent, food good and our staff wonderful. I have passed on your kind words to the team and we are delighted to have been of service to you.

Thank you once again for recommending us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night business trip to Glasgow and due to the city being fully booked we decided to book this hotel due to its availability. Having previously stayed at some beautiful Macdonald hotels over the years I had high expectations for this hotel.
However i was very dissapointed firstly my so called room(more like a cell) was extremely dated and very small. The wall paper falling was from the ceiling, and Black mould in the shower that trickled water. My collegue ordered a steak for his evening meal and asked for a pot of English Mustard and was asked by the very young waiter what's English Mustard. My collegue then asked what Red wine do you have? The response He got was a I don't know, So he asked can you find out then please, the waiter proceeded to read a list of wine from the computer screen/till, he then opened the fridge and said we have that one, holding a bottle of Rosé. I had to laugh as I though someone's taking the mickey here surely the service can't be this bad. After a few minutes looking around the barman pulls from under the bar 3 bottles of Red finally.

The very next morning i sat with my business collegues and we order breakfast at 7:15am, there was probably 8 or so other people sat down for breakfast. My colleague asked or a cooked breakfast, with 2 poached eggs and an extra slice of Bacon, after a 25 minute wait the breakfasts arrive and I can over hear another guest complaining about the long wait. My collegues breakfast was incorrect all that arrived was 2 poached eggs and 3 slices of Bacon. So he asked a waiter to send it back as it was wrong. The waiter who took the order then came out 3-4 minutes later with the same plate so my collegues said I've just sent that back. To which the waiter said why sir that's what you ordered. And proceeded to argue with my collegue. What an absolute shame this hotels service quality has tarnished the Macdonald brand for my Business. I will certainly never return.

Room Tip: Trust me book else where.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Scottishskier

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel. Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I would always welcome your feedback where you feel that this has not been the case.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel, lovely room, friendly staff and good food. The only downside was the price of the wine starting at £21 and breakfast £17 per person. Get real. Didn`t use the spa so can`t comment.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear dopeydobie

Thank you for your very positive comments following your recent stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I have passed on your kind words to the team and we are happy to have been of service to you. Please be assured I have taken on board your feedback in terms of our prices.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was unfortunate enough to stay at this hotel 22nd May 2013, you can imagine my revulsion when I discovered a pair of soiled pyjamas in my bed. My complaint was dealt with in a most unsatisfactory manner and as of yet I have not even received a reply to my last e.mail. They obviously don't care a jot for their customers, I believe that to this organisation we are just an inconvenience. Therefore if you want a clean bed and good customer service, don't trust this company.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear chip6454

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

I would like to assure you that your complaint has been taken very seriously, both by myself and also the Regional Managing Director. The room was allocated in error and as soon as we were made aware of this it was rectified. A reasonable compensation offer and the opportunity to return to the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel to experience our usual high standards was offered but declined. All emails have been answered in accordance with our customer service policies.

We are sorry that despite the extensive correspondence exchanged you do not feel that the matter was resolved. Our offer for you to return to Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel on a complimentary basis remains available to you.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

the Crutherland clearly markets itself as an up market hotel, but having stayed here for the first time in a few years, was alarmed at how bad it was.

To be fair, firstly the good:
- The staff were friendly and helpful
- Food in the bar was nice, breakfast OK

The Bad
- People waiting 30 minutes for breakfast.. surely they should have this sorted out by now?
- Being charged double for no reason for some items
- Rooms very tatty round the edges -
- Shower in desperate need of upgrade
- Booked a double - got a twin

Overall for the quality of stay I got, the value for money is appalling - I'd stay in the Holiday Inn instead

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear TheGP

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I am sorry that this has not been the case on this occasion. I would like to assure you that the problems that you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards and I will be sure to address the points that you have raised with the Managers of the departments concerned.

On a more positive note, I am pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the food good.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back to the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in the future.

Regards

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed for one night on a spa break. The offer was good value, and our cream tea was delicious. However, my facial lasted about 15 mins if I was lucky. The staff in the reception and bar were impressively unhelpful and unfriendly.
Bar food was excellent, I had a lovely burger and my friend enjoyed fish and chips. Buffet breakfast is nice but I made the mistake of ordering Eggs Benedict, the worst example of this I'd ever tasted.
The room was spacious and well equipped.
We had fun, but a few tweaks would have made it so much better.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Claire_10_77

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Macdonald Crutherland Houe Hotel.

Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I am sorry that this was not the case on this occasion. Please be assured that I will raise your points with the Managers of the departments concerned.

On a more positive note I am pleased that you had fun and enjoyed our food and I will pass your comments on to our chef.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in the future.

Regards

Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Crossbasket Castle
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!