“If money were no object...”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cheshire
“If money were no object...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

If money were no object we would stay at a hotel like this every time!
We love the rural setting but after three or four stays the weather still hasn't been good enough to walk the grounds.

The hotel is traditional in style and maintains consistently high standards. The rooms are spacious and comfortable but would benefit from the addition of a mini-fridge, safe and more powerful hairdryer.

We usually stay on a room only basis when visiting family in East Kilbride. However, on this occasion we took up an attractive bed and breakfast offer with dinner at £20 per person.

The dinner choice was limited to four starters and four main courses or other items from the a la carte menu for a supplement. Dessert and coffee were also optional extras. Having taken your order, the waiters are obviously trained to extract a bit more from you by offering mineral water, not tap water, and breads from the starters menu. Wine starts at about £5.75 for a small glass or £24 for a bottle. For a three course meal with a bottle of wine, allow more like £40 per person rather than the fixed price menu at £20. Having said that, we could not fault the standard of food, service
or presentation in a relaxed and informal but nevertheless thoroughly professional restaurant.

Breakfast was excellent but would have been pricey at £17.50 as a stand alone item. There was no stay-warm buffet which kept the food lukewarm but only cooked to order food served piping hot. Alternatively, the cold buffet contained a good selection of cold meat, cheese, fruit, yoghurt and pastries. All produce was high quality and we couldn't ask for a better breakfast.

We would stay here every time, subject to affordability.

2 Thank LesCheshire
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear LesCheshire

Many thanks for the positive comments following your stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in May. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and I have passed your kind comments on to the team who are happy to have been of service to you.

We do pride ourselves on the quality of our food and regularly receive positive feedback from our guests.

Thank you once again and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Eileen Newman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Strathaven, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We took up the offer to have our complimentary dinner a year after we had our Wedding at the Crutherland. We decided to make a night of it by booking the Highfield Suite at a reasonable £150 including breakfast. Dinner and breakfast were excellent, great quality food. Free access to the health suite, pool and gym which was taken to full advantage. We love the Crutherland for obvious reasons and will always retain very fond memories of the hotel. Now for some constructive criticism.
We sent an email to the Spa the evening before arrival asking if there were any spaces for treatments on Saturday. We are still waiting on a reply email. Granted it was fully booked but please respond to questions from your customers in a timely manner.
WiFi tends to be a contentious issue with many reviewers. If we cannot get a WiFi signal in the best room in the hotel then I expect there is very little chance for anyone else. It's not free. In this day and age, for a hotel of such standing, WiFi should be available first and foremost. It should also be free.
During dinner, we were astounded at having to pay £1.75 each for 2 slices of bread. The most expensive bread in Scotland anyone? Then an additional £3.00 each for sauce to go along with your steak which was supposed to be complimentary!
Then the bar...£10 for a Mojito and £6.40 for a whisky. Tip to the barmaid....if we have to pay £6.40 for a single malt, then not one drop of ice should be put in the glass! I got a full ice bucket to the top of the glass.
Last point service. It was actually very good. I say that in defence of the poor guys having to deal with dinner and breakfast who were blatantly under pressure, but at the same time retaining a professional and dignified demeanour. The management really need to have the correct staffing levels. If such levels are increased then perhaps those of us who are paying such substantial amounts may be a bit happier at giving away our hard earned cash. Come on MacDonald hotels...concentrate on customer service!

1 Thank DavidfromGlassford
Dear DavidfromGlassford

Thank your for your comments following your stay at the hotel in May. Please accept my apologies that your email regarding spa availability was not responded to, I am sure that this was an isolated incident.

In terms of Wifi we have now moved from our previous supplier and offer free Wifi throughout the hotel, bedrroom and public areas.

Delivering the highest standards of service to our customers is at the heart of our core values and I apologise if you felt that this was not the case on this occasion. I will ensure that your comments are communicated to the Managers of the departments concerned.

I do take your comments on board in relation to our pricing strategy. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Livingston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. When checking in the member of staff on the reception desk was very catty about the phone ringing at the reception desk. My husband and I weren't sure if it was an internal or external call but we weren't impressed when the member of staff (a man, we didn't get his name) continued to moan about the phone ringing and told us it wasn't a problem as he was able to cut the call of with the cancel button (we got the impression he'd done this before). Very unprofessional and not the reception we expected at a 4 star hotel.

All other members of staff were very polite.

Hotel badly in need of some TLC, My husband and I were extremely disappointed with the pool area and changing facilities. The shelf when you first walk into the ladies changing room is loose and looks like its about to fall of the wall. The handle on the disabled toilet in the ladies changing area was hanging from the door and came off in your hand. Beds around the pool didn't look particularly clean and the pool area (walls, tiles etc) badly need a make over and a lick of paint. Doors around the pool are rusty and dirty looking. Very tatty. The area between the sauna and steam room was having maintenance work/painting done - should this not been done when the pool area is closed to guests? Also the floor at this area was very dirty. We didn't make full use of the facilities as it was too depressing. I had a spa treatment booked but ended up cancelling as I didn't want to part with the money in case I was further disappointed.

Hotel is over rated, rundown in some areas, food ok and nothing special.

2 Thank ket2013
Dear ket2013

Thank you for your comments following your stay at the hotel in May. Delivering the highest standards of service to all our guest is at the heart of our core values, please accept my apologies if this was not the case on this occasion.

The standards of maintenance that you experienced in our Leisure centre are exceptional and the points that you raised have now been addressed.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment on your previous stay and should you wish to return to the hotel please contact me directly so that I may make your arrangements personally to ensure a momorable stay.

Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Was at a wedding recently, for 3 drinks at the bar, bottle of beer, glass of wine and. Spirit and mixer, the bill was £21! Shocking! Poor bar service too! Wasn't staying over so went home early as couldn't afford to stay too late. However, the bride had a lovely day and I suppose that is what matters.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear GlasgowChristineH

Thank you for taking the time to post a reveiw following your recent visit to the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I am sorry if you felt that this was not the case on this occasion.

We have recently taken on a New Banqueting Manager and I will be sure to pass on your comments in terms of bar service to him directly.

On a more postive note I am pleased to read that the Bride enjoyed her day.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Ayrshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We arrived for the weekend , check in was quick and the woman at check in was very helpful and professional. Only draw back is could be offered help to our rooms as we had travel cot , baby etc. Got to the room it was lovely and comfortable , big windows , spotlessly clean . Only draw back and that's if I wanted to be picky is toilet roll holder was wobbley and there was staining on the ceiling almost like a leak that had be resurfaced , but apart from that is was lovely. We had loads of tea and coffee and mini shortbreads and a big bottle of sparkling water . Facilities were great sauna,steam room , massive pool with floating toys to amuse my little one. Clean hot towels were provided and the hotel in general was spotless throughout our stay. We were b&b and the breakfast was delicious loads to choose from only draw back there was took a while to get a high chair for my baby which ment we had to hold her and start breakfast with her on our laps which wasn't to great. Now to room service wow very very overpriced , although the food was nice for 2 meals a veggie dips plate for my wee one a glass of milk , 2 desserts and a side of fries worked out at £54 including £3 for a tray charge . It was all in black and white before we ordered but when your back from a long day in the middle of the country with a very tired baby we chose to pay the prices.The grounds were stunning so pretty we loved taking our little one about them , she could run about and explore . Taxis to the town were about £7 and be careful not to leave anything in the taxi as our gift for a family member who was a little girl was stolen. I would go back as the hotel I liked it but I doubt I could afford to eat in it more than one night and we didn't drive so we were pretty much out of the way . Hope that helps ! :)

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sarah1986

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay in May. I was pleased that you found our receptionist to be helpful and professional and your room to be comfortable and clean.

I was also pleased to note that you enjoyed our leisure facilities and our breakfast. We have recently purchased an additional 4 high chairs to ensure that we have enough available.

Our prices are in line with hotels in this area of the same four star standard and we do feel that we offer good value for money, I am sorry if you felt that this was not the case.

Sarah1986, thank you once agin for your constructive feedback and I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

South Lanarkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from afternoon tea at the Crutherland.

In summary...

Surly bar staff, boring tea with a couple of sandwiches, a small scone and some soft biscuits. Vastly overpriced at £18. Requested a plain ham sandwich for my 5 year old son.. He couldn't eat it as it was full of mustard. After the bill was produced I highlighted he hadn't eaten it (although it was perfectly obvious) and it was removed from the bill but what should have been a nice bank holiday treat was mediocre..vastly over-priced with poor service.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear geordieminx

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your vist to the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in May for afternoon tea.

Delivering the best of service for all our guests and ensuring that they have a memorable visit is at the heart of our core values and I do apologise if this was not the case on this occasion.

We have recently recruited a new Restaurant and Bars Managerand I have passed on your very constructive comments to him directly.

geordiminx, I am sure that this was an isolated incident and not indicative of our nornal high standards. I do hope that this will not deter you from using the Macdonald Crutherland House in the future.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had only a month to organise our wedding and the wedding team at Macdonald Crutherland House were absolutely fantastic at making us feel in control of our very last minute wedding. They could not have been more helpful in accommodating our requests and the day was brilliant. The food was lovely and the banqueting manager was friendly and super efficient.
I would absolutely, whole-heartedly recommend them!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Isla J

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel following your wedding in April.

I was delighted to read the very positive comments and have passed them on to the team who were pleased to have been part of such a special day for you.

Isla J, thank you once again for recommending us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for future events.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
#13 of 96 in Glasgow
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,561 reviews
Crossbasket Castle
#1 of 1 in Blantyre

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!