“Eye watering price of drinks!”

Macdonald Crutherland House
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in East Kilbride
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Was at a wedding recently, for 3 drinks at the bar, bottle of beer, glass of wine and. Spirit and mixer, the bill was £21! Shocking! Poor bar service too! Wasn't staying over so went home early as couldn't afford to stay too late. However, the bride had a lovely day and I suppose that is what matters.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Eileen N, General Manager at Macdonald Crutherland House, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear GlasgowChristineH

Thank you for taking the time to post a reveiw following your recent visit to the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel.

Delivering the highest standards of service for all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I am sorry if you felt that this was not the case on this occasion.

We have recently taken on a New Banqueting Manager and I will be sure to pass on your comments in terms of bar service to him directly.

On a more postive note I am pleased to read that the Bride enjoyed her day.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Eileen Newman

Write a ReviewReviews (1,467)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We arrived for the weekend , check in was quick and the woman at check in was very helpful and professional. Only draw back is could be offered help to our rooms as we had travel cot , baby etc. Got to the room it was lovely and comfortable , big windows , spotlessly clean . Only draw back and that's if I wanted to be picky is toilet roll holder was wobbley and there was staining on the ceiling almost like a leak that had be resurfaced , but apart from that is was lovely. We had loads of tea and coffee and mini shortbreads and a big bottle of sparkling water . Facilities were great sauna,steam room , massive pool with floating toys to amuse my little one. Clean hot towels were provided and the hotel in general was spotless throughout our stay. We were b&b and the breakfast was delicious loads to choose from only draw back there was took a while to get a high chair for my baby which ment we had to hold her and start breakfast with her on our laps which wasn't to great. Now to room service wow very very overpriced , although the food was nice for 2 meals a veggie dips plate for my wee one a glass of milk , 2 desserts and a side of fries worked out at £54 including £3 for a tray charge . It was all in black and white before we ordered but when your back from a long day in the middle of the country with a very tired baby we chose to pay the prices.The grounds were stunning so pretty we loved taking our little one about them , she could run about and explore . Taxis to the town were about £7 and be careful not to leave anything in the taxi as our gift for a family member who was a little girl was stolen. I would go back as the hotel I liked it but I doubt I could afford to eat in it more than one night and we didn't drive so we were pretty much out of the way . Hope that helps ! :)

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sarah1986

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay in May. I was pleased that you found our receptionist to be helpful and professional and your room to be comfortable and clean.

I was also pleased to note that you enjoyed our leisure facilities and our breakfast. We have recently purchased an additional 4 high chairs to ensure that we have enough available.

Our prices are in line with hotels in this area of the same four star standard and we do feel that we offer good value for money, I am sorry if you felt that this was not the case.

Sarah1986, thank you once agin for your constructive feedback and I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from afternoon tea at the Crutherland.

In summary...

Surly bar staff, boring tea with a couple of sandwiches, a small scone and some soft biscuits. Vastly overpriced at £18. Requested a plain ham sandwich for my 5 year old son.. He couldn't eat it as it was full of mustard. After the bill was produced I highlighted he hadn't eaten it (although it was perfectly obvious) and it was removed from the bill but what should have been a nice bank holiday treat was mediocre..vastly over-priced with poor service.

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear geordieminx

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your vist to the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in May for afternoon tea.

Delivering the best of service for all our guests and ensuring that they have a memorable visit is at the heart of our core values and I do apologise if this was not the case on this occasion.

We have recently recruited a new Restaurant and Bars Managerand I have passed on your very constructive comments to him directly.

geordiminx, I am sure that this was an isolated incident and not indicative of our nornal high standards. I do hope that this will not deter you from using the Macdonald Crutherland House in the future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had only a month to organise our wedding and the wedding team at Macdonald Crutherland House were absolutely fantastic at making us feel in control of our very last minute wedding. They could not have been more helpful in accommodating our requests and the day was brilliant. The food was lovely and the banqueting manager was friendly and super efficient.
I would absolutely, whole-heartedly recommend them!

Dear Isla J

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel following your wedding in April.

I was delighted to read the very positive comments and have passed them on to the team who were pleased to have been part of such a special day for you.

Isla J, thank you once again for recommending us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for future events.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for three nights and won't be going back. This hotel is not up to the standard of other Macdonald hotels. The hotel is clearly short staffed and the staff who work there show no concern for guests when arriving at six oclock each morning shouting to each other and banging car doors. We also had a shower that flooded the bathroom. We let reception know about this straightaway and were told this would be fixed the next day. This was not done. When we complained the duty manager tried to fix it but was unsuccessful. We were offered another room which we accepted but were then told that we couldn't move as the other room had the same problem! We were then given a pile of extra towels to mop up the floor each time we had a shower for the rest of our stay. Just not good enough all round.

Room Tip: Don't have a room at the end of the corridor over the staff entrance or you'll be woken at s...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear CumbriaTraveller2010

Thank you for taking the time to review the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel following your stay in April.

Delivering the highest standards of service to all our guests is at the heart of our core values and I do apologise if this was not the case on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that all staff have been reminded of the importance of entering and exiting the building quietly to ensure that they do not disturb our guests.

I would also like to assure you that most of our shower seals in the en suite bathrooms have now been replaced.

I do hope that these isloted incidents do not deter you from using the hotel in the future if you are in the area.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We were visiting relatives in area and stayed for 4 nights. The staff were friendly and helpful, hotel was calm and served an excellent freshly cooked breakfast. Rooms are large and comfortable. We ate in the bar (twice, food was good) and there are other choices in the area which are cheaper if your budget is tight or you simply fancy a change. Rates for the hotel vary depending on how you book so shop around as we paid just over £300 (including breakfast and vat) but could have paid more than double. I believe the hotel is popular for weddings so it may not be as calm at the weekend. We would stay at the hotel again

Dear Lewis_D

Thank you for the very positive comments you have posted following your stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in April.

I was delighted to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful, our rooms large and comfortable and our food good.

I will be sure to pass on your very positive comments to the team here and I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We arrived at midnight and were greeted professionally by night staff. Rooms assigned were spacious and well equipped including facilities for those with physical disability.... more like suites really. Beds were clean and comfortable. After a good night's sleep we enjoyed a tasty breakfast from the wide variety of options available. Staff were polite, professional, helpful and friendly. We had booked a spa day and were not disappointed....we each had two treatments ...back, neck and shoulder massage and facial. The staff team were very professional and friendly and the experience was very relaxing in tranquil surroundings. In the evening we enjoyed an exceptional meal in the main restaurant. Food was well sourced and delicious. Service was generally excellent....attentive but discrete. There's a gym and a pool which we din't use. Although there was a wedding on, our stay was not compromised and the added bonus especially for the guys was that Falkirk Football Team, our home club, were staying in the hotel that evening. Thank you all for a very pleasant and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: All of our rooms were spacious and well equipped.

Dear Kay B

Thank you for your very positive comments following your stay at the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in April.

I was delighted to read your very kind remarks and have passed them on to eveyone here at the hotel who were delighted to have been of service to you.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Kilbride
Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Grange Manor
Grange Manor
#1 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Macdonald Crutherland House? Share your experiences!